Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Shades for lanai, (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/shades-lanai-74283/)

eremite06 04-11-2013 08:56 AM

I installed two 72" wide shades Yesterday. Had to chip out a 1/2 " of stucco for the right one to fit. They were fairly easy to install. Took longer than 20 min. per, though, like the directions claim.

Today I'll install my 96" shade. I'll have to engineer this one since it is wider than the screen.

I bought the pebble color. You can't see out very well. They do block out the light and heat. The 20% off sale only applies to special orders.

eremite06 04-12-2013 01:04 PM

Got 'em all done. Got the little bungees to tie them down on the bottom. Those 2 little rings that are included are before they included the bungees.

Don't know anything about "cow magnets."

graciegirl 04-12-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eremite06 (Post 658140)
Got 'em all done. Got the little bungees to tie them down on the bottom. Those 2 little rings that are included are before they included the bungees.

Don't know anything about "cow magnets."

Pictures, please and GOOD for YOU. I love it when someone does something great like this on his/herown.

eremite06 04-13-2013 09:04 AM

Yes, I love doing DIY projects and saving money.

Thanks, Gracie. It was cool of you to turn me on to the Coolaroos!!

gomoho 04-13-2013 03:14 PM

So I have a ? about the coolaroos. Are you using them in a screen room or enclosed
lanai??? The reason I ask is I had solar shades installed in my glass enclosed lanai and while they do a great job of keeping the sun and UV rays out - no so much the heat. The glass heats up and in turn heats up the shades. I believe I will now have to have tinting applied to the windows that are the problem to keep the heat down.

graciegirl 04-13-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 658925)
So I have a ? about the coolaroos. Are you using them in a screen room or enclosed
lanai??? The reason I ask is I had solar shades installed in my glass enclosed lanai and while they do a great job of keeping the sun and UV rays out - no so much the heat. The glass heats up and in turn heats up the shades. I believe I will now have to have tinting applied to the windows that are the problem to keep the heat down.

Ours is a screened lanai. I hope they will dull the suns rays so that when Jimbo's leg gets better and hopefully he and his wife accept our standing invitation he won't feel too smug about selecting JUST the right lot orientation.;)

casita37 04-13-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 658174)
Pictures, please and GOOD for YOU. I love it when someone does something great like this on his/herown.

I would love to see pictures, too. I'm particularly interested in the "rings/bungees" set up.

raynan 04-13-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 658925)

We're waiting for our order to come in, but we ordered a supposedly sun shade screen that will be wrapped outside of our soon to be glassed in lanai.
Custom Windows of Leesburg is doing it. This may be an alternative to tinting the windows. Supposed to keep the heat from penetrating the windows. We'll see.
Nancy

gomoho 04-13-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raynan (Post 658982)
We're waiting for our order to come in, but we ordered a supposedly sun shade screen that will be wrapped outside of our soon to be glassed in lanai.
Custom Windows of Leesburg is doing it. This may be an alternative to tinting the windows. Supposed to keep the heat from penetrating the windows. We'll see.
Nancy

That is what I have now learned - block the sun on the outside of the window. I am too commited financially at this point with my solar shades to make that change. Was just curious if the coolaroos eliminate that problem on an enclosed lanai.

graciegirl 04-13-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 659016)
That is what I have now learned - block the sun on the outside of the window. I am too commited financially at this point with my solar shades to make that change. Was just curious if the coolaroos eliminate that problem on an enclosed lanai.

I sure hope they work. It will be so nice if we do have a break from the sun at dinner time and can eat out there earlier than sevenish.

I have taken some before pictures and will take some afters too.

I am so excited about getting them. Like a kid expecting a new toy!

graciegirl 06-01-2013 10:40 AM

The Coolaroo's are installed and we like 'em.

Here are some pictures of our new shades. You can see out but not in except at night with lights on. They do block a lot of the heat and most of the sun and they really do the trick for us. Showing after and then before and then one from inside house, it cuts down glare a lot inside. Got 'em at Lowes and they measured and installed them. We chose black because our rug and metal screen dividers are black but they come in white and tan too.

jnieman 06-01-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 685335)
Here are some pictures of our new shades. You can see out but not in except at night with lights on. They do block a lot of the heat and most of the sun and they really do the trick for us. Showing after and then before and then one from inside house, it cuts down glare a lot inside. Got 'em at Lowes and they measured and installed them. We chose black because our rug and metal screen dividers are black but they come in white and tan too.

Very nice Gracie. We also have coolaroos and love them!

In awe of TV 06-01-2013 10:58 AM

Gracie, they look beautiful. Great choice on the black, they look very elegant. Thx for sharing.

optv13sp 06-01-2013 11:48 AM

They're beautiful...

Thank you Gracie. They look beautiful. Your lanai looks so relaxing and inviting!

StarbuckSammy 06-01-2013 11:55 AM

Beautiful lanai. Great pictures. How does the screen fare with wind? Is it tied down?