Shark Grip for garage floors. Your experience please

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2019, 07:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Shark Grip for garage floors. Your experience please

Contractor says it make it dull. Florida Paint said is will make your floor dirty all the time. Please comment from experience. THANKS
Old 07-23-2019, 08:55 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I mix one cup of shark grip to one gallon of clear coat and stir it well and keep it stirred well.

My floors have not looked dirty and helps with preventing slipping from A/C water from cars, etc.

Frank
Old 07-23-2019, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I have it on a recently epoxied by one of the "top rated" contractors on my garage floor and it's fine but STILL SOMEWHAT SLIPPERY WHEN WET. It's bright and shiny as it was added in a final clear coat and not the actual color coat with the flakes. It's going to need occasional cleaning (mopping) because epoxy isn't porous like bare cement. I also had it HEAVILY applied on my recently painted (stained? Whatever it was) driveway which has quite an incline and walked out barefooted the other night when it was wet and fell and almost broke my hip. It's not bright and shiny there and I didn't want it to be. It was also put in the clear seal coat and not the original paint/stain/or whatever it was.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
I mix one cup of shark grip to one gallon of clear coat and stir it well and keep it stirred well.

My floors have not looked dirty and helps with preventing slipping from A/C water from cars, etc.

Frank
Frank, what brand of Clear Coat and Brand of Shark Grip do you prefer. How often should it be reapplied? Thank's. I wanna get it done correctly on the first try or else!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

IMHO, I have shark grip on both the driveway and the garage floor, and would not have either coated without this. A fall, slip, etc., is MUCH more dangerous than the possible inconvenience of a slightly dirty garage floor. This is Florida, it rains a lot, and you will get both the driveway and the garage floor wet, and slips and falls are very dangerous for older people.
Now the good news, if you do not apply the shark grip initially, it can typically be applied later as long as you use a compatible clear coat.
As far as I know there all of the similar products to shark grip are similar.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, I have shark grip on both the driveway and the garage floor, and would not have either coated without this. A fall, slip, etc., is MUCH more dangerous than the possible inconvenience of a slightly dirty garage floor. This is Florida, it rains a lot, and you will get both the driveway and the garage floor wet, and slips and falls are very dangerous for older people.
Now the good news, if you do not apply the shark grip initially, it can typically be applied later as long as you use a compatible clear coat.
As far as I know there all of the similar products to shark grip are similar.
Or you could rent out inner tubes and run the hose for a day. Slip & Slide for fun and profit!
Old 07-24-2019, 07:10 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Slippery floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post

Frank
Listen to Frank He's right.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:54 AM

Even with shark grip on our garage floor, our lab slipped trying to jump into our Outback the first time he tried and landed on his stomach. Ever since, we have had to load him in from the driveway. When we had the driveway painted, we made sure there was ample shark grip! I still find our garage floor slippery when wet, but the driveway is actually rough on bare feet.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:34 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Yes, I totally agree that Shark Grip helps greatly over not having it, but it will STILL be somewhat slippery. I buy the H&C brand....I actually did not know there were different brands.....This is sold at the big box stores and Sherwin Williams. I like the H&C brand products.

I am NOT an expert here when it comes to coatings...as a Home Inspector, we need to be more of a generalist....knowing some about a lot of things but master at only a few.

That being said, I personally do NOT like any latex based clear coatings. I believe the better clear coatings are Zylene based coating. The smellier it is the better it is....

We have a fine bunch of professional painters here that would know more than I do on the subject.

While on subject, I did speak to a homeowner awhile back that got a quote from someone to seal their driveway for like 300 dollars....the homeowner thought it was too high and went with someone who quoted 100 dollars. The cheap guy took her money and sprayed water on her driveway and left. He was a crook. She had to can the original guy to have it done right. The old saying, "Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good". Let the buyer beware.

Hope that helps!

Frank

Tags
experience, make, dirty, floor, comment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.