The Sharon

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Default 99% Mentioned

Doc... your choice of entertainment I would not walk across the street to
see or hear.. You mentioned "Washed Up Entertainers" are you kidding
me some of those you mentioned, many have never heard of... how about
some "Culture" Doc... So far from your posts NONE mentioned.

You mentioned 'Tear it down" Why ?? have you heard it is about to open?

I know you are not serious and really you sound like you have a serious
problem with the Developer in disguise .
Old 03-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I agree! Let's give it a chance before we complain..please'
As usual, all The Village "experts" postulating before anything actually happens or opens. And by the way, they will also tell us how to run everything.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
As usual, all The Village "experts" postulating before anything actually happens or opens. And by the way, they will also tell us how to run everything.
Very well said - my feelings to a T after reading thru the thread. Seems as if one can open up the most simple thread and -bam- out comes the 'easy from the keyboard' experts. Not sayin' it's bad, simply a given here. And for the novice thread-openers that get slammed along the way -- grin and bear it.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
I guess / hope The Sharon will be good for property values for those that own homes walking distance to square.
I hope you're right. I just bought a home nearby a couple of weeks ago.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

From the "other" site. More information there.

Villagers wont have to wait until April 30s opening night to attend a production at the new Sharon L. Morse Performing Arts Center.

The Villages High School is putting on performances of The King and I at The Sharon on April 16-18.

Tickets are already on sale at the Villages Lifelong Learning College and the cost is $15. The first night (Thursday) of the high school production is considered a dress rehearsal and the second (Friday) is for understudies. The final night (Saturday) will be a full production.

The show will start at 7 p.m.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
I'm sorry. I thought that this was supposed to be a forum where we could come on and have discussions and give our opinions about different issues.

I'm usually very positive and a supporter of the developer. In this case I think that they made a mistake. I think that a venue like this should have been larger and in a different location.

Do we want a forum where everyone says only positive things and we all agree on everything? I know that The Villages is a bit of a fantasy land for many of us, but I, for one, wouldn't want it to be a total fantasy.

If there are things that we are concerned about we should be able to express our concern. I don't claim to be an expert or am telling anyone how to run things. I'm simply expressing my opinion. No one complains when people express positive opinions but when someone disagrees with something they are accused of trying to run things.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong in this case. I hope I am, but I doubt it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 03-30-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
Yes, I've been around the squares during special events, and often have to drive in the back way to go to MVP and plenty of available parking in the HUGE lot behind the hotel and the second lot behind the bowling alley. It seems as if folks forget the lots exist sometimes.
I was there on St Patrick's Day this year and all of those lots you mentioned were full. I had to park down near Ace Hardware.

To be fair, most of the lot behind the bowling alley was roped off for performers.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stdole View Post
Doc... your choice of entertainment I would not walk across the street to
see or hear.. You mentioned "Washed Up Entertainers" are you kidding
me some of those you mentioned, many have never heard of... how about
some "Culture" Doc... So far from your posts NONE mentioned.

You mentioned 'Tear it down" Why ?? have you heard it is about to open?

I know you are not serious and really you sound like you have a serious
problem with the Developer in disguise .
We all have different tastes in entertainment. I'd be surprised if anyone had not heard of some of the people that I had mentioned. My point is that with a 1,000 seat venue we're not going to be able to book acts that are filling 10,000 seat venues.
Not that they would go over here, but we'd never get people at the level of Blake Shelton, Kelly Clarkson, John Legend or Taylor Swift. And I'm not suggesting them specifically, I'm just talking about people at that level in entertainment. How about Michael Buble or Adele. Do you think they're going to play a 1,000 seat venue.

Some of the people I mentioned are still filling huge venues even though they've been around for a long time.

As far as culture, I guess to some people that only means classical music and ballet. Do you think that we're going to get the American Ballet Company, or The Bolshoi to perform for 1,000 people? If we did tickets would be $1,000 each. How about the London Symphony Orchestra or the Berlin Philharmonic? We have no chance of getting the top of the classical world with a 1,000 seat venue. The Chamber Orchestra of Europe or the European Youth Orchestra?

And I do believe that I mentioned Andrea Bocelli. Do you think that he's going to play a 1,000 seat venue? Again, maybe if ticket prices are at $1,000 per seat.

How about some Cirque du Soleil shows? I doubt it.

I'd love to see The Trans Siberian Orchestra or Manheim Steamroller at Christmastime.

As someone mentioned, Orlando is an hour away and if we want to see these types of A-list artists, we'll have to keep driving an hour.

And of course I wasn't serious when I said "tear it down". It's here. They built it and we're stuck with it. In my humble opinion they should have built a much larger venue in an area where the infrastructure would be able to handle it.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:18 AM
Sage

Opinion's yes. Over and over stating the same thing.....what's the point?
Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

To the posters who think The Sharon is a bad idea.

Please post your resume and a list of you accomplishments so I can fairly compare your opinion to that of the developer.

And by the way, a building permit would not have issued unless it was shown sufficient parking was available.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
From the "other" site. More information there.

Villagers wont have to wait until April 30s opening night to attend a production at the new Sharon L. Morse Performing Arts Center.

The Villages High School is putting on performances of The King and I at The Sharon on April 16-18.

Tickets are already on sale at the Villages Lifelong Learning College and the cost is $15. The first night (Thursday) of the high school production is considered a dress rehearsal and the second (Friday) is for understudies. The final night (Saturday) will be a full production.

The show will start at 7 p.m.
This is a fantastic opportunity for the high-school students to learn theater production skills too, in a state-of-the-art facility.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
This is a fantastic opportunity for the high-school students to learn theater production skills too, in a state-of-the-art facility.
I agree, and for The Sharon to do a pre-opening test run!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Piano Bar at Sharon Morse! Hope it happens.

It would be truly wonderful if they have a piano bar with stools around the grand piano and some tables around for intimate evenings. Perhaps a trio can play jazz once in a while or a singalong. Kennedy Center in Washington made a set up like that and believe it was or perhaps still is popular.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Sage

A wonderful idea!!!

WOW - I don't agree with some of the posters on this thread, in that it hasn't opened yet, and the criticism is rampant.

How about the option of valet parking included with the price of a ticket for those who can't/won't walk to the performance.

Let's see how it is working for a month or so to see if all the problems posed are real or imagined.

I for one don't want to travel to Orlando, unless an event is a must see for me!!! Maybe Tony Bennett with Lady Gaga.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
To the posters who think The Sharon is a bad idea.

Please post your resume and a list of you accomplishments so I can fairly compare your opinion to that of the developer.

And by the way, a building permit would not have issued unless it was shown sufficient parking was available.

A ridiculous argument. That's like saying that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on the Red Sox third baseman because I can't play any better. Or that I not allowed like a particular piece of music because I couldn't write any better.

We're all entitled to our opinions. We don't have to be qualified in a particular field to offer opinions. How about we ask all the people who think that this is a great idea to send in their resumes to back their opinions.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.