The Sharon

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2015, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
Ted, I suspect that Mannheim Steamroller's contract with Universal prevents them from playing elsewhere in central FL.

Perhaps we will get Trans-Siberian Orchestra instead.
I wonder if such a group as TSO would play in such a small venue?
We went to see them when they were in Orlando a couple of years ago....(where the magics basketball team play).
Old 04-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

This looks great! Very classy in TVs. So glad to see the Morse family continue to keep improving one of the best towns in the world!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I have no objection to their lineup. For the venue size, it is okay. What I object to is the prices. They are too high for the talent offered.

Personally, I would love to see the Miami Ballet over the Moscow Festival. Our philharmonic rather than one from northern Poland. Some blues men. John Mayall plays small venues and is still pretty darn good. Most jazz players play small venues. Some great caberet singers. I think most performers would rather play in something like the The Sharon rather than a supper club where they have to compete with dish clattering.

Some performers that come to my mind that probably would play here would be Diana Shur, Lou Reed, Cowboy Junkies, Indigo Girls, Weslia Whitfield, John Mayall. We're not going to see the likes of The Stones, Mannheim, ABT, Philadelphia Philharmonic, BB King. So, who is on your list of performers who would truly play in such a small venue (please try to be realistic).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

Recently attended a Lucinda Williams, a multiple Grammy winning artist, concert at the Plaza in Orlando. It's a 1,000 seat venue and rather old and seems like a dump compared to what the Sharon looks like. Here's a link to an article describing it and it gives you an a list of the performers who have performed there. So it's possible to get some good talent to such a small venue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pla...eatre_(Orlando)

Plaza LIVE Orlando | The Plaza LIVE Orlando is a live music concert venue in Orlando, Florida.

But that begs the question of what Villagers want to see or hear. The Temptations tribute band coming to the Sharon is the same old stuff. Local group the Dorrells and Johnny Alston, play plenty of Temptation music and doubt Villagers could tell difference between the groups. So why pay $50 for a ticket to hear the same old stuff at the Sharon? We need more variety besides Doo Wop and never ending 50's rock music.

Last edited by bimmertl; 04-03-2015 at 11:57 AM. Reason: wrong link used
Old 04-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

A friend of mine plays in The Fab Four which is the finest Beatles tribute band that I've ever heard and seen. They play in venues of about this size. I'd love to book them here as opposed to the mediocre Beatles tributes that I've seen around here.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

And I'd rather never see any tribute band. There are too many good performers that are original. Leave the Oldies to the squares, please.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-03-2015, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
And I'd rather never see any tribute band. There are too many good performers that are original. Leave the Oldies to the squares, please.
We all have our tastes, but the Fab Four and many other tribute bands sell out venues of this size. That's my point. That's what we're going to get. If they do intend to bring in top of the line acts, ticket prices are going to have to be astronomical.

Tirbute band like the Fab Four ticket prices usually run $25-$40. That's between $25,000 and $40,000 total revenue. To get even a national touring tribute band like the Fab Four is going to cost somewhere around $25,000 once you pay for their travel, room and board. Many of them also require that you provide a back line of equipment etc along with whatever els may be on their rider.

To bring in someone like James Taylor, Eric Clapton or someone at that level, it will cost a hundred thousand or more. Just do the math. The venue is too small to bring in top of the line entertainment and make it affordable. Tickets would have to be priced at at least $100 and that wouldn't cover the expenses of the venue.

And nothing against Lucinda Williams or any of the other artists mentioned, but she is playing in 1,000 seat venues because that's all she can draw. She just can't get 5,000 people to cough up $50 to come and see her.

The good thing about The Villages is that most of the acts that people in our age group are interested in are the old washed up stars of our youth. You can usually book many these kind of acts for not too much money. But you're not going to get Clapton, Paul McCartney, James Taylor, the Rolling Stones or The
Who in a 1,000 seat venue.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Sage

As the good doctor stated, we all have out taste in music. I tend to agree it will be difficult to book top name current artists, in a relatively small venue but I can hope.

People will go and see what they want, at the prices they want. Let's give a chance to people, that book the acts, that appeal, to the masses.

My idea is to see what performers are booked and their various prices.

If people don't like the prices or performers, they will not go, period.

I find it hard to believe the Sharon will be booked 365 days a year, but that's me.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Gold member

Very interesting thread here. It certainly seems that people are opposed or disappointed in the "Sharon" for several reasons.

Let's see:
1. Parking/ not enough
2. Too few seats in the "Sharon"
3. Ticket prices too high

We all have our own opinions and certainly our own taste in entertainment, as well as our own "price cap". They will never make everyone happy. PERIOD!!

My own thoughts:
1. I love the 1,000 seat size, a more intimate venue with excellent acoustics. No nosebleed seats with lousy sound quality found in a basket ball arena.

2. First class venue. I personally felt that the Savannah Center was an embarrassment.
We have seen good shows there. But the folding chairs and jammed rows were shocking to us.

3. This is not a venue that "everyone" will use, or want to use. Many people prefer to go to free entertainment, watch movies when released for home viewing, or are not interested in theatre, symphony or headline acts.

The "Sharon" will prove to be an asset to The Villages. A higher caliber entertainment option than what is available now. That is a good thing.

"Katie Belle's" and "The Cattle Baron" did not meet everyone's dining and entertainment needs. If they did, they would not be losing $$ and under going renovation. Neither will the "Sharon". Those who go will love it and those who don't will find fault.

Nothing new, same thing we see with all human nature.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judebarsto View Post
OMG, Patti Lupone???? Really?! Does anyone else know how amazing that is? I'm back north, and renting out my new home, still working, but I'd kill to go to that concert!! Wonder what the ticket prices will be, and how they will be distributed? I'd also love to know how they got her!
In case you might be interested. Patti Lupone on 4/30 at TV Sharon theatre, $150 per pop. Less than 2 weeks earlier, same show at the Patchogue theatre in Patchogue NY, Ticket prices from $45 to $75. The lady is 65 years old and was a star 20-30 years ago. Wanna bet it ain't like it used to be?
Old 04-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I have no objection to their lineup. For the venue size, it is okay. What I object to is the prices. They are too high for the talent offered.

Personally, I would love to see the Miami Ballet over the Moscow Festival. Our philharmonic rather than one from northern Poland. Some blues men. John Mayall plays small venues and is still pretty darn good. Most jazz players play small venues. Some great caberet singers. I think most performers would rather play in something like the The Sharon rather than a supper club where they have to compete with dish clattering.

Some performers that come to my mind that probably would play here would be Diana Shur, Lou Reed, Cowboy Junkies, Indigo Girls, Weslia Whitfield, John Mayall. We're not going to see the likes of The Stones, Mannheim, ABT, Philadelphia Philharmonic, BB King. So, who is on your list of performers who would truly play in such a small venue (please try to be realistic).
I would like to see some of the performances that they have at the Savanah Center held at the Sharon. I have stayed away from Savanah because the seating was not great. The floor seats were hard to see from if you are a short person and the balcony was too far away and not comfortable. Hoping the Sharon has solved those problems. I will pay a little more to be comfortable.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I remember a couple years ago, everyone on here was clamoring for a Performing Arts Center. If memory serves, a complete study was performed and it was determined that a PAC might not be successful here.

Well, the Developer [and family] have built one themselves, which adds to The Villages.

Now, lots of folks on here are trashing the PAC [and the Developer] for parking and ticket prices, before it even opens.

When [and if] The Villages are ever turned over to the residents, that'll be the day I list my home for sale.

Here's one such thread from 2010:

The Time For a Performing Arts Center is Now
Old 04-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I remember a couple years ago, everyone on here was clamoring for a Performing Arts Center. If memory serves, a complete study was performed and it was determined that a PAC might not be successful here.

Well, the Developer [and family] have built one themselves, which adds to The Villages.

Now, lots of folks on here are trashing the PAC [and the Developer] for parking and ticket prices, before it even opens.

When [and if] The Villages are ever turned over to the residents, that'll be the day I list my home for sale.

Damned if you do, or damned if you don't, comes to my mind.

Let's let it open and run for awhile before the bashing continues.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

The Villages IS their family business and I don't think they will ever let someone come along and screw that up. All we own are the houses and the land on which they are built.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

[

Now, lots of folks on here are trashing the PAC [and the Developer]

I also fear the rule of the inmates, I have seen it too often in community assns and condos

The Sharon will not bring in big name shows unless they find a large subsidy(sponsorships). That being said it is a wonderful venue for entertainment and other functions for the Villages and surrounds. The Developer paid for it, without contributions from Villagers fees of any kind. Sounds to me like we got a windfall.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.