The Sharon

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Well said SUNNYATLAST, my first time at the Savannah back in February for the Motown review. It was an eyeopener for me. I don't think i'm a snob, but the savannah is like a Junior high school gymnasium. Put the philharmonic or other worthy groups in a decent venue and i'm sure the attendance will go up.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Don't know if everyone is aware that their is no resident discount for any shows at The Sharon. I was buying tickets on line for the Temptations. and was unable to find a place to put in resident ID. Called box office and they informed me of no resident discount at The Sharon.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Don't know if everyone is aware that their is no resident discount for any shows at The Sharon. I was buying tickets on line for the Temptations. and was unable to find a place to put in resident ID. Called box office and they informed me of no resident discount at The Sharon.
That sounds like a marketing mistake to me!!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
From the "other" site. More information there.

Villagers won’t have to wait until April 30’s opening night to attend a production at the new Sharon L. Morse Performing Arts Center.

The Villages High School is putting on performances of “The King and I” at The Sharon on April 16-18.

Tickets are already on sale at the Villages Lifelong Learning College and the cost is $15. The first night (Thursday) of the high school production is considered a dress rehearsal and the second (Friday) is for understudies. The final night (Saturday) will be a full production.

The show will start at 7 p.m.
What is the "other" site you are talking about?
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 04-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Hi Jim,

There are lots of very good entertainers for 1000 seat venues. In the last couple of years we saw Al Stewart and Keiko Matsui in a 500 seat venue and the ticket prices were reasonable. I personally like smaller venues and I think 1000 seats is actually a good size. We used to live in Peachtree City where there is a 2500 seat amphitheater and that is also a good size for a lot of entertainers and reasonable ticket prices. I agree Eric Clapton probably isn't going to come here but I believe they can attract good talent. About the parking issue, get there early I guess ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'm a big fan of this developer, but I think that this is possibly the worst move hey've ever made. There is not enough parking around Spanish Springs Town Square as it is. How do they expect to have parking for the 1,000 or so additional people that are going to attend these events.

Rumors are out there that they are going to cancel the live entertainment on the square on the night of events in the Morse Center. if that happens I see massive protests.

I say tear it down and increase the parking areas.

I'm also disappointed that they didn't build a much bigger venue in another location so that they might attract some real big names. I'd love to see Eric Clapton or James Taylor come here. Ringo and his All Starrs also play in 10,000 seat venues.

Patti Lupone?? Really? I wouldn't go to see her for free.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of the developer. I think that what they have done here is nothing short of miraculous, but I think that they blew it on this one.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Right! What they should have done is raise prices by $10 a ticket and then give a Resident Discount of $5.00 a ticket to keep you all thinking you got a deal. That would keep the masses happy.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
What they have done is to make the tickets available to residents a couple of weeks before they go on sale to the general public. When I bought tickets, I had to show my ID to get them because they weren't yet on sale to non-residents. So the advantage to residents is better seat selection, rather than price.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
If attendance is lower for the philharmonic, it's probably because of the Savannah center tacky chairs, creaky risers and plumbing pipe hand rails. It doesn't reflect the calibre of the orchestra.

Using Savannah as a temporary venue during construction at Church on the Square is understandable, but not now when The Sharon is open and operational.

They deserve to be in The Sharon. Many patrons would come because of the superb quality built into The Sharon, that will inspire the orchestra and its players' spirits.
Agreed. Symphonies should be played in a beautiful setting that befits that kind of music. When the orchestra assembles on the stage of Savannah, it looks so crowded that the Maestro and the guest artists may fall off.

Last edited by Carla B; 04-03-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
If attendance is lower for the philharmonic, it's probably because of the Savannah center tacky chairs, creaky risers and plumbing pipe hand rails. It doesn't reflect the calibre of the orchestra.

Using Savannah as a temporary venue during construction at Church on the Square is understandable, but not now when The Sharon is open and operational.

They deserve to be in The Sharon. Many patrons would come because of the superb quality built into The Sharon, that will inspire the orchestra and its players' spirits.
I could stand the tacky seats, etc. What I could not tolerate was the poor sound quality. A philharmonic orchestra deserves better.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
So disappointed! Our wonderful Philharmonic will be at Savannah Center for the 2015-16 season.
I am equally disappointed!!
Old 04-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The only thing I'd be vaguely interested in would be the Million Dollar Quartet, but as you say, not for that kind of money. Other than that I see a few third rate orchestras, a bunch of washed up stars, and some impersonators ripping off the public with big names.

But I do agree, The interior of the building looks fantastic and from what I understand the whole thing is state of the art. The sound system is supposedly phenomenal.
I agree. The parking situation will be terrible and the prices too high. But just wait until reality sets in and they have trouble filling the seats during the summer months.

I once went to the Tampa Performing Arts Center in the middle of summer and I saw the Florida Orchestra. The ticket price? $10.00 and I was able to sit anywhere I wanted. I sat in a box seat closest to the stage looking down I could see the entire orchestra. But even at $10. they only filled about 1/4 to 1/3 of the seats.

So be patient and the bargain prices will come. But for what shows?
Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

After having read the entire set of postings on this topic, I offer a couple quick thoughts:

I majored in piano and trumpet, yet I have never cared for Tony Bennett (or Frank Sinatra for that matter). Nor is Lady GaGa my cup of tea. Last night I attended The Villages Philharmonic Orchestra at the Savannah Center. The guest musician (Francesca Dego, a 25 year old virtuoso violinist) presented one of the finest performances that I have heard in a long time. I would be willing to pay $100.00 to hear her again. She truly is a remarkable talent. She played the very challenging Violin Concerto in D Major, OP 35, by Tchaikovsky, a piece so difficult that only the best are able to master its complexities. (Bogie Shooter, I know you can attest to that).

Chip Davis, of Mannheim Steamroller, lives on an acreage north of Omaha, NE. which is where I lived for 45 years until recently. He puts on a truly remarkable show and would be worth whatever one had to pay in order to see him. I do not remember how much the tickets were but the venue was packed. I do not ever see him playing at The Sharon.

I feel fortunate to have purchased the first ticket for the Tuesday night performance of The Million Dollar Quartet and don’t feel that $100.00/ticket was out of line. On the other hand I have no interest in seeing Patti LuPone.

I frequently attended the Orpheum Theatre in Omaha, which carried many fine performances over the years. I now have season tickets to the Ocala Civic Theater and have seen some fun shows and some really bad shows there as well. I also just purchased season tickets to the theater in Orlando (the name of which eludes me at the moment) but have not yet attended any performances there.

My major point in this post is that taste is a very personal thing, therefore, so is what one is willing to pay to hear whatever one may want to hear.

BTW, I can’t wait to see the inside of The Sharon. I am one who is delighted to see her here, soon to open and am only hoping that we, as a community, are delighted in what she brings to TV.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Platinum member

Very good post Ted. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Veteran member

I have gone to the Straz in Tampa, paid $100 for a seat way up in the nosebleed section and been disappointed. And We drove 2 hours to get there in very heavy traffic. I think the eclectic line up for The Sharon is exciting and within our means if it is something you want to see. They stated the first few years would determine the wants and price points of their patrons. I would love to see a philharmonic orchestra there as the acoustics are supposed to be so wonderful but that's just my taste. There appears to be something for everyone. we would never have a chance to get some of the big names mentioned on this forum with a population of only 125k. Springsteen, Mannheim, Stones. You kidding me? you can make a lovely weekend trip to go see these in cities with a population of a million people. That's what it takes to support that level and price range. Get real. I can agree that parking will be a challenge, especially for some of our less agile residents and I am sure they will work the out with shuttles, etc. give it a chance before you diss it. Thanks you Morse family. BTW. What are you planning to name for Gary? He did so much for us and I still feel the loss.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

Ted, I suspect that Mannheim Steamroller's contract with Universal prevents them from playing elsewhere in central FL.

Perhaps we will get Trans-Siberian Orchestra instead.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.