The Shopping Desert South of 44

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Understandable! However there was a time when the folks in the early years had to go to Ocala or Leesburg for their healthcare (entirely) as well as any shopping etc. There weren't any amenities as we have available now. I would suspect that there will be what you're wishing for in the plan. It wasn't all that long ago that the road south from Hwy 44 wasn't much more than a gravel road.
I wish it still was gravel.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithDB View Post
I am not seeing The Villages commitment to the infrastructure in this area.
After a person complains, I like to ask them, "So what are you going to do about it?"

I am curious what your answer is.

If we were not happy where we are living, we would move somewhere else. If you look at the huge number of resales in the area south of Route 44, I guess many others are doing the same thing.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
After a person complains, I like to ask them, "So what are you going to do about it?"

If we were not happy where we are living, we would move somewhere else. If you look at the huge number of resales in the area south of Route 44, I guess many others are doing the same thing.
Most of the resales south of 44 are those who are taking their hansom profits and buying a larger home down here.. We know of many who have done just that. Also there are always health and family issues that come into play. If you look at the board showing where the new residents are coming from each week, most are coming from Florida and most of those are coming from the northern villages. I don't think too many are selling and going north of 44, at least I haven't hear of many.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytocl View Post
I wish it still was gravel.
I don't understand people who live in Continental CC and their obsession with TV. Is it envy?
Old 12-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post

This is a great comment.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Well I obviously would not be aware of any reason I am not aware of. Care to put forward any reasons, you might be aware of, that I should be aware of, that would explain things?
Who is on first.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Well I obviously would not be aware of any reason I am not aware of. Care to put forward any reasons, you might be aware of, that I should be aware of, that would explain things?
That is really a very clever comment! Well done

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

When most of us moved here we we did not have shopping close to our homes. We have lived with dirt from construction, only SS, LSL was almost vacant when we first came.

Our groceries are delivered to our front door, for over a year. We have not stepped into brick and mortar retail for 3 years. My parents in their late eighties have groceries delivered to their home in TV.

When you bought did you really think those big dirt piles we have all lived with just went away overnight and became stores.
Most of us did our homework and if the new area was not going to be ready by our standards than we could always buy elsewhere in TV
Old 12-11-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not seeking a massive mall. Just a basic grocery store and maybe a few actual restaurants. Something between food trucks and the Fenney Grill.

I would not complain if the Magnolia Plaza was going full bore with construction. But it is not. It has been stagnant now for weeks. They built the parking lot and gave up. For basic grocery shopping we are left to fight our way through the construction of the Chitty Chatty Village.
In the meantime, the Publix grocery on 466A near the Lowes is going full bore, moving ahead despite starting later, with a Winn Dixie in a baseball hit distance from it.

I am not seeing The Villages commitment to the infrastructure in this area. I will warn away potential buyers here for this reason.
Why would TheVillages be committed to an area that is not within Villages boundaries? The Villages doesn’t own The Trailwinds area.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I don't understand people who live in Continental CC and their obsession with TV. Is it envy?
As with many outside TV, they lived in a nice quiet area along a two lane road. The growth has changed the life style they experienced for many years. I think many of us lament on what live used to be like when we were someplace else or growing up. They, like many in Sumter, Lake and Marion have little voice in what is happening to them. Their obsession is most like focused on TV because TV expansion is what is causing their changes.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
As with many outside TV, they lived in a nice quiet area along a two lane road. The growth has changed the life style they experienced for many years. I think many of us lament on what live used to be like when we were someplace else or growing up. They, like many in Sumter, Lake and Marion have little voice in what is happening to them. Their obsession is most like focused on TV because TV expansion is what is causing their changes.
OK. But, is that any different than any other area that experiences growth? In this paticular case, Past comments seem to be aimed at what is happening in the interior of TV, and not any effect on a neighboring community.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

The OP is just frustrated about the lack of shopping and restaurants in the new Villages area. I would be too, but, I wouldn't move there until they had those facilities in place. I think the food trucks are an insult. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Sure.. If Publix decided to build on the lot next to OPs, then he would cry NIMBY !! What is this goldilocks and the 3 bears ?? Not to close but not too far ?? 2 whole traffic lights .. Geez
Old 12-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The OP is just frustrated about the lack of shopping and restaurants in the new Villages area. I would be too, but, I wouldn't move there until they had those facilities in place. I think the food trucks are an insult. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Businesses have to decide to come. Developers can build but they can't force people to lease. This has happened over and over again for those who have been here more than a dozen years. Build it, and they will come.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the food trucks are an insult.
A friend of ours asked a Villages sales person where they can bring family guests to dinner south of 44. The answer was the food trucks. Really???

Tags
grocery, shopping, basic, full, bore

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.