The Shopping Desert South of 44

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2019, 03:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeennyy View Post
OH Also the Bridge that was to be finished by Jan 2010 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
Pennacamp was just being built in 2010. We bought a house in April 2010. Brownwood was not in any of our sights then much less a bridge.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Recalculate from the Eastern edge in Fruitland...
I did. According to Google Maps, the closest square is Lake Sumter, 5.2 miles. The distance to Brownwood is 6.6 miles.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeennyy View Post
Why don,t we all get together and demand the finish the Plaza !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have the availability to sign a lease on commercial property, bet you can get that grocery you want. With A few thousand people in the new area, and not all home sold are being occupied, or rented out, or are snow birds. You would be donating lots of fresh food, meat, and dairy. Give the developer a call I am sure they are more than willing to get that contract going.

I am sure you know If there is not a lease in place, for a grocery, you can’t build the shell until you know what’s going in it.

When we came in 07 LSL was a ghost town, there were multiple villages completed. Yet for shopping and dining you Went to SS.

Everyone who pioneered into a new area gets to experience the effects of waiting for retail. I just think most of us were so happy to be here, we seemed to be much more patient in the next adventure the developer offered. Brick and Mortar are becoming a thing of the past generations. As the 40s and 50s move here, retail will change.

90% of my grocery, pet food, and all of my other essentials come to my front door. Advantage is it Keeps you on budget, no impulse buying
Old 12-31-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Brick and Mortar are becoming a thing of the past generations. As the 40s and 50s move here, retail will change.

90% of my grocery, pet food, and all of my other essentials come to my front door.
You are so RIGHT. My company specializes in retail, especially F&B and we design stores all over the world. B&M is a thing of the past, look around the empty shopping malls in the US, you are not alone this picture is replicated worldwide. AMAZON is partly to blame, as am I for using Amazon...

We have seen the introduction of food trucks which some hate but new wave entrepreneurs are flocking to instead of careers in banking and finance (in London at least). Yes, it would be great to have Magnolia built for when we (eventually) move out more permanently (OK 6 months a year due to VISAs), but all the time someone can deliver our groceries then hell we are happy. Retail will change - as will the shopping habits of future generations and TV are right to consider this in their future developments. What is worse no shops or empty boarded up shops?

The best things come to those that wait...
Old 12-31-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I quoted possible reasons for the delay.
I was told by a Rec. Dept. employee Publix has decided not to build in Magnolia Plaza
Old 12-31-2019, 07:26 AM

I don't know how you guys survive down there..so far away from civilization...
Old 12-31-2019, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Pine Ridge is close to 8mi from a square.

Everglades will be less than 4 mi once the connectors are in.
Everglades is a are recreation center, not a town square.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:57 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
Recalculate from the Eastern edge in Fruitland...
From my home in Fenney it's mapped at 5.7 miles to Paddock Square, even less if you know the shortcut, not all that far to Publix and all the restaurants in that area.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Who needs a square?
Music at the Town Squares every night of the year (weather permitting) was promised when we first bought in The Villages. The ability to listen and dance to live music and enjoy Happy Hour drinks is a great reason to want a town square. I know it’s not for everyone which is probably why you don’t need a Town Square.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tghoul View Post
I was told by a Rec. Dept. employee Publix has decided not to build in Magnolia Plaza
Old 12-31-2019, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Music at the Town Squares every night of the year (weather permitting) was promised when we first bought in The Villages. The ability to listen and dance to live music and enjoy Happy Hour drinks is a great reason to want a town square. I know it’s not for everyone which is probably why you don’t need a Town Square.
Just wondering how many nights a week you go dancing at the squares?
Old 12-31-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tghoul View Post
No surprise since there is a Publix just up Morse on 44. I suspect a Winn Dixie will anchor Magnolia Plaza.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Everglades is a are recreation center, not a town square.
Correct, brain fart on my end, meant Brownwood.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:13 PM

Unfortunately, the OP did nothing more than provide another thread for the southern expansion bashing that never seems to end. We bought south of 44 knowing full well there was no cart connectivity, no restaurants nearby, and no grocery store yet. I don't consider a car trip to Brownwood or to the Lake Deaton Publix to be that much of an inconvenience. I also understand that smart businesses are not going to build and open up based on future potential. They need the right demographic and population to start making a profit from day 1. Am I a little disappointed that they built a parking lot at Magnolia, put up a wall, and then stopped, yes - but I assume there is good reason and am willing to wait. Am I a little disappointed that connectivity was advertised, not rumored, but advertised to be completed by January of 2020 but the turnpike bridge is still, well, sitting on the side of the turnpike? Yes, a little, but I assume there is good reason and am willing to wait. What I'm more disappointed in is the lack of information and transparency about why these things are what they are. It only fuels the rumor mill to be so hush-hush about it. Most of us are grown ups - just let us know the good reasons for these things - we'll be disappointed, still, but most will understand. I've heard rumors about why Magnolia Plaza is stalled, or about why the turnpike bridge is delayed. They may be true, as they seemed logical to me, or they may not be true. A little honesty and transparency goes a long way with reasonable people. For months I heard the bridges wouldn't be open until well after January, but all I saw was progress being made toward that goal. It wasn't until I saw a recent VMail announcing connectivity in Spring of 2020 that I actually heard from TV themselves that the rumors were true. However, the announcement was not made with any acknowledgement that the timeline was different than what was previously announced - it was just stated as if that had been the plan all along. Someone asked earlier - what are your plans to do something about it? Me, nothing. Like I said, I can wait. I just don't think it's unreasonable to communicate some facts about what's going on and why things are the way they are. We don't need all the inside info or glimpses into the closely guarded trade secrets - just enough so that it's more understandable.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:49 PM
Sage

I find it shameful that you (villageidiots) and your neighbors,have to come on here nearly every day and defend why you live south of CR44.
At every opportunity or created opportunity the bashers come out. Many of them don't live in that area so why do they have these negative comments to offer?
Just what does the bashing accomplish?

Tags
grocery, shopping, basic, full, bore

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.