The Shopping Desert South of 44

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Look across the bridge in the photo, appears the base layer of a cart path and a high retaining wall have been installed. Paving should be next, however beyond that you're probably right, the bridge to nowhere.
The bridge in the photo is the pond bridge which leads to the highway 44 bridge, in the distance. Yes, that is the work I was referring to. On the other side of 44 I can not see that any work has been done. I guess they are going to do the approaches one at a time. After all, there is no hurry, apparently, since the bridge over the turnpike seems to be delayed.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I find this obsession with cart access quite amazing.
Why would anyone want to spend 30-40 minutes in a cart, for a 10+ minute journey in a car?
Stuff the cart access, all has been linked by road since the start!
Old 01-27-2020, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I find this obsession with cart access quite amazing.
Why would anyone want to spend 30-40 minutes in a cart, for a 10+ minute journey in a car?
Stuff the cart access, all has been linked by road since the start!
I agree. We won't be traveling south of 44 in a golf cart. We are in Mallory Square and hubby refuses to drive the golf cart to Brownwood. Only way for us is by car to Brownwood. Points south of Brownwood would most certainly be by car for us.

Maybe for the folks south of 44, a trip to Brownwood is doable. Not sure if many folks south of 44 will travel to LSL or Spanish Springs via golf cart though. Some may venture out once or twice but I have a feeling after those trips, they will realize the car is the way to go to points in northern Villages.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:49 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I agree. We won't be traveling south of 44 in a golf cart. We are in Mallory Square and hubby refuses to drive the golf cart to Brownwood. Only way for us is by car to Brownwood. Points south of Brownwood would most certainly be by car for us.

Maybe for the folks south of 44, a trip to Brownwood is doable. Not sure if many folks south of 44 will travel to LSL or Spanish Springs via golf cart though. Some may venture out once or twice but I have a feeling after those trips, they will realize the car is the way to go to points in northern Villages.
I live in Fenney and am in no hurry to see everything connected. I might take one ride to Brownwood just to see how long it takes but doubt that I'll do it more than once. I would be more interested in riding over to Chitty Chatty and Bradford to see what's going on. This is getting to be so big down here that a golf car doesn't make a lot of sense other than golf.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

I don't understand those that are retired and still judge access by how fast they can get there. At this point in life I find the journey is as interesting as the destination and the golf cart gives us that. It's not unusual for us, and most of our friends, find it not unusual to take a day and go for a ride that exceeds 25 miles in a cart. Frankly it's ok that you take a car, keeps our congestion down

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-27-2020, 10:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I don't understand those that are retired and still judge access by how fast they can get there. At this point in life I find the journey is as interesting as the destination and the golf cart gives us that. It's not unusual for us, and most of our friends, find it not unusual to take a day and go for a ride that exceeds 25 miles in a cart. Frankly it's ok that you take a car, keeps our congestion down
The time it takes to arrive at one's destination is part of the equation. For me, the rest of the equation is the comfort of the ride. I prefer the climate control of a car. I know there are Atomic golf carts which offer this too but we don't own one of those carts and don't plan to purchase one. Climate control is just one aspect of comfort for us (hubby and me). We like the smooth ride and quietness that our car offers, especially for a ride that is 25 miles.

To each his/her own. If everyone wanted the same things in life..... life would be boring.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Lookee there, a first time poster. welcome.

One enormous thing that Gary et al has done is separate and widen the cart paths. Much safer than north of 466.
Still, No sidewalks.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:38 PM
Sage

I don’t think golf carts were ever meant for long distances. They are designed for golf courses, for pity’s sake
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 01-28-2020, 05:43 PM
Sage

I guess there were people who still preferred to travel by horse and carriage after automobiles became widely available. Dunno.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

Tags
grocery, shopping, basic, full, bore

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.