The Shopping Desert South of 44

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2019, 09:43 PM
Default The Shopping Desert South of 44

I'm not seeking a massive mall. Just a basic grocery store and maybe a few actual restaurants. Something between food trucks and the Fenney Grill.

I would not complain if the Magnolia Plaza was going full bore with construction. But it is not. It has been stagnant now for weeks. They built the parking lot and gave up. For basic grocery shopping we are left to fight our way through the construction of the Chitty Chatty Village.

In the meantime, the Publix grocery on 466A near the Lowes is going full bore, moving ahead despite starting later, with a Winn Dixie in a baseball hit distance from it.

I am not seeing The Villages commitment to the infrastructure in this area. I will warn away potential buyers here for this reason.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Sage

Do you know why construction has “stopped?” There may be a reason you aren’t aware of.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:19 PM

Well I obviously would not be aware of any reason I am not aware of. Care to put forward any reasons, you might be aware of, that I should be aware of, that would explain things?
Old 12-10-2019, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

If you were here 16 years ago you might have wondered the same thing....the minority report has been duly noted!!!
Old 12-10-2019, 11:07 PM
Sage

Understandable! However there was a time when the folks in the early years had to go to Ocala or Leesburg for their healthcare (entirely) as well as any shopping etc. There weren't any amenities as we have available now. I would suspect that there will be what you're wishing for in the plan. It wasn't all that long ago that the road south from Hwy 44 wasn't much more than a gravel road.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithDB View Post

I am not seeing The Villages commitment to the infrastructure in this area.

How are you measuring this??

Store owners have to be convinced there is a market for their retail dollars. Currently there appears to be a shortage of retail dollars.

Last edited by dewilson58; 12-11-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
I'm not seeking a massive mall. Just a basic grocery store and maybe a few actual restaurants. Something between food trucks and the Fenney Grill.

I would not complain if the Magnolia Plaza was going full bore with construction. But it is not. It has been stagnant now for weeks. They built the parking lot and gave up. For basic grocery shopping we are left to fight our way through the construction of the Chitty Chatty Village.

In the meantime, the Publix grocery on 466A near the Lowes is going full bore, moving ahead despite starting later, with a Winn Dixie in a baseball hit distance from it.

I am not seeing The Villages commitment to the infrastructure in this area. I will warn away potential buyers here for this reason.
200 years ago Broadway was a dirt road and Manhattan ended at Canal St.----Patience, grasshopper
Old 12-11-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

The Morse family are builders. They build houses and they build buildings that house hospitals and stores and rec centers etc. When it comes to getting businesses to commit to leasing the buildings, that is another thing. You can't make a restaurant or clothing shop or grocery store rent space. I have been here long enough to have heard this cry many times and eventually the businesses come.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:56 AM

Oh my god. Slowing down to 35mph through the construction area along Morse is such an inconvenience. ������ I bet it takes a whole 10 minutes to get to the the Publix on 44.

Have a little patience. As others have said, commerce comes to areas that can support it. The developers are not subsidizing the businesses coming to Magnolia Plaza. If those businesses do not believe there are enough customers in the area yet to allow them to make a profit, then they will not be in a hurry to complete construction and open for business. Sure, plenty of homes have sold down here but many, if not most, are not actually occupied yet. Before long we will be looking back fondly to the days when things were slower and quieter in the area.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Well I obviously would not be aware of any reason I am not aware of. Care to put forward any reasons, you might be aware of, that I should be aware of, that would explain things?
Permits, Contractor problems, EPA problems, Loss of anchor tenant requiring re-design for a new one to name a few. What is the problem with going past the construction, it's never backed up and 35 MPH is the same speed limit as it is on 501 and 468 near magnolia. It's less than a 10 minute drive to Kristine Way, you're making a big issue out of nothing. You can always do your shopping at the Dollar Store in Coleman and save yourself a minute or two driving time. Unbelievable, warning people to not buy down here because of your impatience. Also be thankful we have the Leesburg Hospital and don't have to drive all the way up north to TV Hospital. Relax and enjoy.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Permits, Contractor problems, EPA problems, Loss of anchor tenant requiring re-design for a new one to name a few. What is the problem with going past the construction, it's never backed up and 35 MPH is the same speed limit as it is on 501 and 468 near magnolia. It's less than a 10 minute drive to Kristine Way, you're making a big issue out of nothing. You can always do your shopping at the Dollar Store in Coleman and save yourself a minute or two driving time. Unbelievable, warning people to not buy down here because of your impatience. Also be thankful we have the Leesburg Hospital and don't have to drive all the way up north to TV Hospital. Relax and enjoy.
What anchor store pulled out and what is the replacement?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,205 Posts

Via 501 to the 470 turnpike entrance, it's less than an hour to Orlando, Disney Springs, etc.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
He was giving examples of what could hole up construction progress, nothing more.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 12-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
He was giving examples of what could hole up construction progress, nothing more.
I misread.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:10 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I quoted possible reasons for the delay.
Closed Thread

Tags
grocery, shopping, basic, full, bore

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.