The Shopping Desert South of 44

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
A friend of ours asked a Villages sales person where they can bring family guests to dinner south of 44. The answer was the food trucks. Really???
The sales person must not have know about The Fenney Grill, The Oaks, or for those who dare, O'Schucks. Or right on 44 Piesano's and the Chineese Restaurant.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Leesburg has an excellent Urgent Care and Hospital. Also, any store or restaurant you could want and it isn't too far. Publix at Lake Deaton is close. We love living South of 44. It is a beautiful area, lots of Village Recreation Centers and amenities. New construction, wonderful neighbors. and lots of green space. We live where we spent the majority of our time and I don't mind driving on those occasions when I want to go shopping.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:34 PM

Just my opine but if you look at the history recently of country club restaurants it does not seem as if that will be a play that TV will be making. That leaves private businesses to step in and accept TV leases that corporations run hundreds of scenarios to determine viability of a store. Also TV will not build many buildings or storefronts until capacity is pretty much at capacity, ie.. look at Brownwood. These could be cause for delays. With the major restaurant players in TV full up with recent lease acquisitions more does not look good for the near future. As population grows it will come and we all hope it will be great!!
Old 12-11-2019, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
The sales person must not have know about The Fenney Grill, The Oaks, or for those who dare, O'Schucks. Or right on 44 Piesano's and the Chineese Restaurant.
O'Shucks! Not much to look at, and the parking lot is not paved, but they have good food, especially oysters on the half shell, and the shrimp.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Just my opine but if you look at the history recently of country club restaurants it does not seem as if that will be a play that TV will be making. That leaves private businesses to step in and accept TV leases that corporations run hundreds of scenarios to determine viability of a store. Also TV will not build many buildings or storefronts until capacity is pretty much at capacity, ie.. look at Brownwood. These could be cause for delays. With the major restaurant players in TV full up with recent lease acquisitions more does not look good for the near future. As population grows it will come and we all hope it will be great!!
The big problem with the northern CCs that have had and the same for Katie Bells is that people would come in, sit-down, order water or an ice tea and camp out for hours. No business can survive like that, and they haven't, hence the recent history. People wanted a free ride and ruined it for everyone.

Concerning Brownwood, it doesn't take a genius to see that it was built with the current growth in mind, call it Phase Phase 2 happening now, no reason to build more until more customers are available. I'm sure there will be a phase 3 and 4 in the next couple of years.

They can't make companies sign a lease agreement but they can build premier properties/locations that can drive business. Customer income isn't an issue in TV but the High/Low season cycle is very difficult for a business to sustain, those that have a good product and service and are willing to survive the low season reap the rewards in the high season. World of Beer is a prime example.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 12-11-2019, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I would imagine all the sales reps should know about the Fenney Grill.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
There are so many things said on this forum about the Villages Sales Reps and what they "said or didn't say" and much of it is just plain exaggeration or fibbing on the part of people posting.

The Villages Sales Reps don't have to make up stuff to talk anyone into buying here. People are lined up to buy here.

Yesterday we three, Helene, Henry and me, attended a lovely brunch hosted by villages Sales Rep Jim McLaughlin. He sold us two homes, and there is nothing he has ever said to us that was exaggerated, untrue or most of all PUSHY. Now maybe some of the rest aren't as helpful and kind as he is, but I doubt there are many. No one has to do a tap dance or exaggerate anything to sell houses here. The Villages reputation is known far and wide. The Villages don't have to cut deals on new homes and they don't and they don't have to include outside real estate people to sell their new homes.

I think a lot of the negative comments about the new areas where there are only new homes for sale come from people who can't sell new homes. Anyone who has been to the new areas can see for themselves how lovely they are.

No. I don't sell houses, don't get kickbacks and don't know the Morses. I just call a spade a spade.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:44 AM

I have one restaurant suggestion for you, as I have a friend that lives near 44. There is a nice restaurant in one of the mobile home parks on 44 — it’s called Oaks on 44 - it’s in Continental Country Club (Large mobile home park with big oak trees). It has a lovely atmosphere, large windows, comfortable seating, and very reasonable prices. You can sign up for their emails to get notice of specials. We’ve had 3-4 recent meals there and never disappointed. The lobster roll — very generous.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There are so many things said on this forum about the Villages Sales Reps and what they "said or didn't say" and much of it is just plain exaggeration or fibbing on the part of people posting.

The Villages Sales Reps don't have to make up stuff to talk anyone into buying here. People are lined up to buy here.

Yesterday we three, Helene, Henry and me, attended a lovely brunch hosted by villages Sales Rep Jim McLaughlin. He sold us two homes, and there is nothing he has ever said to us that was exaggerated, untrue or most of all PUSHY. Now maybe some of the rest aren't as helpful and kind as he is, but I doubt there are many. No one has to do a tap dance or exaggerate anything to sell houses here. The Villages reputation is known far and wide. The Villages don't have to cut deals on new homes and they don't and they don't have to include outside real estate people to sell their new homes.

I think a lot of the negative comments about the new areas where there are only new homes for sale come from people who can't sell new homes. Anyone who has been to the new areas can see for themselves how lovely they are.

No. I don't sell houses, don't get kickbacks and don't know the Morses. I just call a spade a spade.
Agree agree agree.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Especially since their sales office is right beside it. I tend to doubt that was ever stated by a sales rep.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
The big problem with the northern CCs that have had and the same for Katie Bells is that people would come in, sit-down, order water or an ice tea and camp out for hours. No business can survive like that, and they haven't, hence the recent history. People wanted a free ride and ruined it for everyone.

Concerning Brownwood, it doesn't take a genius to see that it was built with the current growth in mind, call it Phase Phase 2 happening now, no reason to build more until more customers are available. I'm sure there will be a phase 3 and 4 in the next couple of years.

They can't make companies sign a lease agreement but they can build premier properties/locations that can drive business. Customer income isn't an issue in TV but the High/Low season cycle is very difficult for a business to sustain, those that have a good product and service and are willing to survive the low season reap the rewards in the high season. World of Beer is a prime example.
Hard to understand why the developer could not make a profit but apparently their restaurant/building leasers can(example McCalls and Margaretville) with the same exact clientele. How do they stop the water/tea drinkers ? And if successful why didn't the developer use the same strategy.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Hard to understand why the developer could not make a profit but apparently their restaurant/building leasers can(example McCalls and Margaretville) with the same exact clientele. How do they stop the water/tea drinkers ? And if successful why didn't the developer use the same strategy.
Probably perception, many believed, wrongly, that Katie Bells and the CCs are amenities and they were entitled to use they, when in fact they are not, nor were they ever, amenities. These were private businesses just like the restaurants in the squares. When people walk into a restaurant there is an expectation to purchase (and tip) whereas this same perception does not exist if you feel you've already paid your share. The situation has only become worse over time and it may not be the last we see of things like this.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 12-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Probably perception, many believed, wrongly, that Katie Bells and the CCs are amenities and they were entitled to use they, when in fact they are not, nor were they ever, amenities. These were private businesses just like the restaurants in the squares. When people walk into a restaurant there is an expectation to purchase (and tip) whereas this same perception does not exist if you feel you've already paid your share. The situation has only become worse over time and it may not be the last we see of things like this.

OK I don't buy profit thing. I believe there was other issues going on the developer did not want to deal with. These people know how to make a profit. The issue may have been the profit was not large enough for the headaches or their time was better spent on other ventures they could concentrate on.

But let's explore the situation getting worse with time. Why? Demographics ? If so what attribute of demography is triggering "worse" ?
Old 12-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Default The desert south of 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
200 years ago Broadway was a dirt road and Manhattan ended at Canal St.----Patience, grasshopper
Most of us won't be here in 200 yrs, or even 100 yrs. The former Morse generation did much for for the infrastructure than the present generation.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasco View Post
Most of us won't be here in 200 yrs, or even 100 yrs. The former Morse generation did much for for the infrastructure than the present generation.
Lookee there, a first time poster. welcome.

My favorite Morse was Gary in that he is the one with the vision of The Villages that took it into the level it is now. He risked his own money time and time again and was able to make things happen more easily as he was the single power. I think Mark, Tracy and Jennifer do a great job and it cannot be easy because I have lived long enough to know that getting three people to agree on anything, let alone the three being siblings, is a difficult task.

This is the time of the year we get a lot of negativity and I always wonder why. I am not sure what this sentence means

The former Morse generation did much for for the infrastructure than the present generation.

One enormous thing that Gary et al has done is separate and widen the cart paths. Much safer than north of 466.

Tags
grocery, shopping, basic, full, bore

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.