Shopping Down South ???

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2019, 08:10 AM
Default Shopping Down South ???

My husband and I moved to the Village of Linden in August. We were told and given flyers saying the shopping center next to Everglades Rec Center would open for business the end of 2019. Well, as I drive to the shopping areas up North I see constant construction going on north of the turnpike but nothing happening at Magnolia Plaza. Is there anyone who knows when the construction is going to resume? I hope we aren't the forgotten people.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:30 AM

I agree with you. I also live in Linden and go by there daily and see maybe 2 and some days no one working. For what ever reason it appears work has halted on this project. Maybe they need proper permitting, maybe no tenants have signed up yet? It would be nice to see it move along.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,324 Times in 1,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
My husband and I moved to the Village of Linden in August. We were told and given flyers saying the shopping center next to Everglades Rec Center would open for business the end of 2019. Well, as I drive to the shopping areas up North I see constant construction going on north of the turnpike but nothing happening at Magnolia Plaza. Is there anyone who knows when the construction is going to resume? I hope we aren't the forgotten people.
You moved here in August and were told the plaza would open in December? I think you misunderstood them and it was the rec. center that would be completed by the end of the year. As far as the plaza we always understood it to be open in 2020. They have the underground work done and a lot of paving completed for the parking areas and as noted may be waiting for inspections and/or permits to continue. The work going on east of the Turnpike is not commercial construction so I'm sure they have the builders ready to start construction of the plaza buildings and would like to start collection rents just as we would like to start shopping. We have been here 2-1/2 years and found that it really isn't that inconvenient to drive to either plaza on 44 except for the new road construction now slowing traffic a bit.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
You moved here in August and were told the plaza would open in December? I think you misunderstood them and it was the rec. center that would be completed by the end of the year. As far as the plaza we always understood it to be open in 2020. They have the underground work done and a lot of paving completed for the parking areas and as noted may be waiting for inspections and/or permits to continue. The work going on east of the Turnpike is not commercial construction so I'm sure they have the builders ready to start construction of the plaza buildings and would like to start collection rents just as we would like to start shopping. We have been here 2-1/2 years and found that it really isn't that inconvenient to drive to either plaza on 44 except for the new road construction now slowing traffic a bit.
You state you have been "here" 2 1/2 years. If you read advertising for The Villages back then you definitely would have seen Magnolia Plaza Opening late 2019. I've been "here" for 7 years and yes, that was the advertising straight from The Villages not second hand. Last year the date was changed to Spring 2020. I would like to see a bit of progress with Magnolia Plaza. While it might not mean that much to you VINTAGEOGAUGE it is an inconvenience to many that live "down South"
Old 11-23-2019, 07:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
You state you have been "here" 2 1/2 years. If you read advertising for The Villages back then you definitely would have seen Magnolia Plaza Opening late 2019. I've been "here" for 7 years and yes, that was the advertising straight from The Villages not second hand. Last year the date was changed to Spring 2020. I would like to see a bit of progress with Magnolia Plaza. While it might not mean that much to you VINTAGEOGAUGE it is an inconvenience to many that live "down South"
In your original post you stated that you moved to Linden in August and were "TOLD" that Magnolia would be completed by the end of the year, that is only a period of 4 months. Did you notice as you drove past the Plaza that it would be impossible to meet that deadline? You are now stating that last year(2018) the completion date was changed until Spring of 2020, I don't understand your complaint if you already knew before you moved down here that it would not be completed by the end of the year.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:52 PM

WOW drive up the road 5 miles to shopping, talk about being spoiled....
Old 11-24-2019, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
WOW drive up the road 5 miles to shopping, talk about being spoiled....
From points south of 44 it is quite a bit more than 5 miles for shopping at the 441 corridor (Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, Home Depot, Target, all the restaurants along the corridor, etc, etc, etc.. Those stores and restaurants, to me, are very important to be close.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When we moved here in 09 were told told the Building would stop at 466A. That lasted about 2 months. Now I keep saying Key West is a long ways away. Build it and they will come!
Old 11-25-2019, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
From points south of 44 it is quite a bit more than 5 miles for shopping at the 441 corridor (Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, Home Depot, Target, all the restaurants along the corridor, etc, etc, etc.. Those stores and restaurants, to me, are very important to be close.
This is why I bought a resale near 466. I first rented in Hemingway 9 years ago but found I was often going up north on 466 and 441 to shop, for restaurants and activities so I bought a house up here on 466 and have never regretted that decision.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:47 AM

We were told in November 2017 when we came for a Lifestyles week that shopping and golf cart accessibility were coming soon! At this post I’m not sure what soon means. However, we had no desire to live so far from the action and bought in The Village of Charlotte. We love the location! So close to so much. I’d be upset as well as we see another Publix and many other places going up along 466a and nothing for all of you. All I can think is that there isn’t the traffic through your area to support lots of shopping. But it seems like a grocery store, Walgreens and gas station would get lots of business.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

All the shopping you could want around 466 and 466A. Lots of everything else also.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

A year from now the complainers will find something new to complain about !!!
Old 11-25-2019, 09:02 AM

Stay north of 466. More businesses, better home construction. Buy resale.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:18 AM
Sage

My Lord, this is not a crisis, we bought down here because of the atmosphere, we were never promised big box stores, only a plaza and lots of amenities. The lack of big box stores is not a problem with us as we rarely go to them and when we do we enjoy a little ride to Ocala or up on 441. It is less than 10 minutes to Publix, not a big deal at all to drive 10 minutes once a week to a grocery store. Living down here compared to the northern villages also saves a lot of time if we go south to Orlando or Tampa as we're only minutes from the Turnpike and/or I-75. It's just fine the way it is, it will be a little better with the plaza but not sure that I'm looking forward to the connectivity.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Why do so many people come down hard on those who want something different than what they like? It's great many of you like it the way it is but for some folks they like it another way. That's the problem with this forum (and others like it). Because someone likes something different that doesn't make them "whiners" or "complainers" or "ungrateful" or '"spoiled." it's just what they like. We love it here but we also like major shopping areas. I find EVERYTHING is "about an hour away." I can only take so many "BEALS" stores. It all depends on what one is used to and where you came here from. We all like different things but aren't we all old enough to avoid the labeling and name calling? Sounds like a teenage Twitter account. I thought that stopped in Middle School.
Closed Thread

Tags
shopping, center, construction, north, happening

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.