Shopping Down South ???

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-23-2019, 08:10 AM
gomsiepop gomsiepop is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 336
Thanks: 15
Thanked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Default Shopping Down South ???

My husband and I moved to the Village of Linden in August. We were told and given flyers saying the shopping center next to Everglades Rec Center would open for business the end of 2019. Well, as I drive to the shopping areas up North I see constant construction going on north of the turnpike but nothing happening at Magnolia Plaza. Is there anyone who knows when the construction is going to resume? I hope we aren't the forgotten people.
__________________
It is a positive attitude towards life that makes dreams come true
  #2  
Old 11-23-2019, 08:30 AM
Tblue Tblue is offline
Member
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 30
Thanks: 72
Thanked 44 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I agree with you. I also live in Linden and go by there daily and see maybe 2 and some days no one working. For what ever reason it appears work has halted on this project. Maybe they need proper permitting, maybe no tenants have signed up yet? It would be nice to see it move along.
  #3  
Old 11-23-2019, 10:01 AM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 2,092
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,062 Times in 359 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
My husband and I moved to the Village of Linden in August. We were told and given flyers saying the shopping center next to Everglades Rec Center would open for business the end of 2019. Well, as I drive to the shopping areas up North I see constant construction going on north of the turnpike but nothing happening at Magnolia Plaza. Is there anyone who knows when the construction is going to resume? I hope we aren't the forgotten people.
You moved here in August and were told the plaza would open in December? I think you misunderstood them and it was the rec. center that would be completed by the end of the year. As far as the plaza we always understood it to be open in 2020. They have the underground work done and a lot of paving completed for the parking areas and as noted may be waiting for inspections and/or permits to continue. The work going on east of the Turnpike is not commercial construction so I'm sure they have the builders ready to start construction of the plaza buildings and would like to start collection rents just as we would like to start shopping. We have been here 2-1/2 years and found that it really isn't that inconvenient to drive to either plaza on 44 except for the new road construction now slowing traffic a bit.
  #4  
Old 11-23-2019, 10:20 AM
gomsiepop gomsiepop is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 336
Thanks: 15
Thanked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
You moved here in August and were told the plaza would open in December? I think you misunderstood them and it was the rec. center that would be completed by the end of the year. As far as the plaza we always understood it to be open in 2020. They have the underground work done and a lot of paving completed for the parking areas and as noted may be waiting for inspections and/or permits to continue. The work going on east of the Turnpike is not commercial construction so I'm sure they have the builders ready to start construction of the plaza buildings and would like to start collection rents just as we would like to start shopping. We have been here 2-1/2 years and found that it really isn't that inconvenient to drive to either plaza on 44 except for the new road construction now slowing traffic a bit.
You state you have been "here" 2 1/2 years. If you read advertising for The Villages back then you definitely would have seen Magnolia Plaza Opening late 2019. I've been "here" for 7 years and yes, that was the advertising straight from The Villages not second hand. Last year the date was changed to Spring 2020. I would like to see a bit of progress with Magnolia Plaza. While it might not mean that much to you VINTAGEOGAUGE it is an inconvenience to many that live "down South"
__________________
It is a positive attitude towards life that makes dreams come true
  #5  
Old 11-23-2019, 07:28 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 2,092
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,062 Times in 359 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
You state you have been "here" 2 1/2 years. If you read advertising for The Villages back then you definitely would have seen Magnolia Plaza Opening late 2019. I've been "here" for 7 years and yes, that was the advertising straight from The Villages not second hand. Last year the date was changed to Spring 2020. I would like to see a bit of progress with Magnolia Plaza. While it might not mean that much to you VINTAGEOGAUGE it is an inconvenience to many that live "down South"
In your original post you stated that you moved to Linden in August and were "TOLD" that Magnolia would be completed by the end of the year, that is only a period of 4 months. Did you notice as you drove past the Plaza that it would be impossible to meet that deadline? You are now stating that last year(2018) the completion date was changed until Spring of 2020, I don't understand your complaint if you already knew before you moved down here that it would not be completed by the end of the year.
  #6  
Old 11-24-2019, 03:52 PM
billlaur billlaur is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 318
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 22 Posts
Default

WOW drive up the road 5 miles to shopping, talk about being spoiled....
  #7  
Old 11-24-2019, 04:26 PM
coffeebean coffeebean is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Village of Mallory Square
Posts: 3,017
Thanks: 176
Thanked 1,379 Times in 594 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
WOW drive up the road 5 miles to shopping, talk about being spoiled....
From points south of 44 it is quite a bit more than 5 miles for shopping at the 441 corridor (Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, Home Depot, Target, all the restaurants along the corridor, etc, etc, etc.. Those stores and restaurants, to me, are very important to be close.
__________________
coffeebean
  #8  
Old 11-24-2019, 05:29 PM
skip0358's Avatar
skip0358 skip0358 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,264
Thanks: 62
Thanked 269 Times in 96 Posts
Default

When we moved here in 09 were told told the Building would stop at 466A. That lasted about 2 months. Now I keep saying Key West is a long ways away. Build it and they will come!
__________________
Patchogue, NY; Village of Bonita Sept.09
  #9  
Old 11-25-2019, 06:36 AM
rmd2 rmd2 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 310
Thanks: 3,162
Thanked 153 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
From points south of 44 it is quite a bit more than 5 miles for shopping at the 441 corridor (Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, Home Depot, Target, all the restaurants along the corridor, etc, etc, etc.. Those stores and restaurants, to me, are very important to be close.
This is why I bought a resale near 466. I first rented in Hemingway 9 years ago but found I was often going up north on 466 and 441 to shop, for restaurants and activities so I bought a house up here on 466 and have never regretted that decision.
  #10  
Old 11-25-2019, 07:47 AM
JWITTHOFT JWITTHOFT is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: We live in Illinois, near St. Louis.
Posts: 1
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

We were told in November 2017 when we came for a Lifestyles week that shopping and golf cart accessibility were coming soon! At this post I’m not sure what soon means. However, we had no desire to live so far from the action and bought in The Village of Charlotte. We love the location! So close to so much. I’d be upset as well as we see another Publix and many other places going up along 466a and nothing for all of you. All I can think is that there isn’t the traffic through your area to support lots of shopping. But it seems like a grocery store, Walgreens and gas station would get lots of business.
  #11  
Old 11-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Bay Kid's Avatar
Bay Kid Bay Kid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Posts: 3,130
Thanks: 349
Thanked 914 Times in 370 Posts
Default

All the shopping you could want around 466 and 466A. Lots of everything else also.
  #12  
Old 11-25-2019, 08:48 AM
jarodrig jarodrig is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 208
Thanks: 5
Thanked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Default

A year from now the complainers will find something new to complain about !!!
  #13  
Old 11-25-2019, 09:02 AM
Cynfin Cynfin is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Stay north of 466. More businesses, better home construction. Buy resale.
  #14  
Old 11-25-2019, 09:18 AM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 2,092
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,062 Times in 359 Posts
Default

My Lord, this is not a crisis, we bought down here because of the atmosphere, we were never promised big box stores, only a plaza and lots of amenities. The lack of big box stores is not a problem with us as we rarely go to them and when we do we enjoy a little ride to Ocala or up on 441. It is less than 10 minutes to Publix, not a big deal at all to drive 10 minutes once a week to a grocery store. Living down here compared to the northern villages also saves a lot of time if we go south to Orlando or Tampa as we're only minutes from the Turnpike and/or I-75. It's just fine the way it is, it will be a little better with the plaza but not sure that I'm looking forward to the connectivity.
  #15  
Old 11-25-2019, 09:31 AM
EdFNJ EdFNJ is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bailed out of NJ after 68yrs and headed south.
Posts: 2,268
Thanks: 390
Thanked 1,077 Times in 447 Posts
Default

Why do so many people come down hard on those who want something different than what they like? It's great many of you like it the way it is but for some folks they like it another way. That's the problem with this forum (and others like it). Because someone likes something different that doesn't make them "whiners" or "complainers" or "ungrateful" or '"spoiled." it's just what they like. We love it here but we also like major shopping areas. I find EVERYTHING is "about an hour away." I can only take so many "BEALS" stores. It all depends on what one is used to and where you came here from. We all like different things but aren't we all old enough to avoid the labeling and name calling? Sounds like a teenage Twitter account. I thought that stopped in Middle School.
Closed Thread

Tags
shopping, center, construction, north, happening

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.