Shopping and restaurants South of 44?

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2022, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,245 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Do not understand why people seem to hate those folks who decided to live in the South. At the rate this is going the South will ultimately become part of the north anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
Don't know. But there is a definite ugliness from some in the North. I think some feel they were promised that the Villages wouldn't expand, they were "here first," the Southerners are using "their squares" (which, are completely open to the public), there will be family homes in the south (the horror!), etc. Don't know. But, it's THEIR PROBLEM. They just aren't happy people. Maybe they can start a support group for themselves.
The same could be said about people living in the south commenting about people living in the north... Did you not see the posts I just quoted above?

Also, see post #44...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-17-2022, 07:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Don't know. But there is a definite ugliness from some in the North. I think some feel they were promised that the Villages wouldn't expand, they were "here first," the Southerners are using "their squares" (which, are completely open to the public), there will be family homes in the south (the horror!), etc. Don't know. But, it's THEIR PROBLEM. They just aren't happy people. Maybe they can start a support group for themselves.
Pretty wide brush you got there...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-17-2022, 07:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
We're all hoping that's what will go in at the north west corner of Meggison and Warm Springs.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot down here at this point. I know it will grow, hopefully before I die.
For years I had a 30 minute ride to get to the closest supermarket. We had a closer IGA, but to get to a store like Publix, thirty minutes. I have been in Florida now for a few years. The thought of driving more than five minutes is annoying. There are four Publix within five miles of me (Strange business model but they seem to know what they are doing).
Old 08-17-2022, 08:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a Costco yet...
Costco
Old 08-17-2022, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
The same could be said about people living in the south commenting about people living in the north... Did you not see the posts I just quoted above?

Also, see post #44...
You expect me to remember posts from several day ago? That was when I was wearing a younger mans clothes as the son goes.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:40 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,324 Times in 1,440 Posts

Quote:
See post #44...
Retaliatory,-.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
You expect me to remember posts from several day ago? That was when I was wearing a younger mans clothes as the son goes.
It was from last night...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-17-2022, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Retaliatory,-.
Uh, huh...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-17-2022, 03:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:

Also, see post #44...
That’s why I’m glad I live in the middle.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
It was from last night...
Well what can I say.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
That’s why I’m glad I live in the middle.
Where is the middle? Cause it seems to creep south monthly
Old 08-20-2022, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We bought south of 44 over 5 years ago and there were no problems with getting to restaurants, it's less than 10 minutes to Brownwood from here and only one stoplight between here and there. Why is it that everyone north of here feels they have to be next to a restaurant or a gas station. Back home in Ohio it was nothing to drive 30 minutes to a restaurant or to shopping malls. Driving to Brownwood or Lake Sumter is nothing.
South of 44 is going pretty far south at this point. It depends on where south of 44 you are referring to. Driving along the Turnpike at 75 MPH, we can drive for at least 5 minutes and still see The Villages construction. That is a lot of miles to travel in a golf cart.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Correct. Brownwood and LSL are pretty much nothing and it's not "everyone." Which is why many people would choose not to live in that area of Ohio or other similar areas around the country or distant parts of TV. Everyone likes what THEY like not necessarily what YOU or I like. I don't consider Brownwood or Lake Sumter to be true retail locations as there are few places to shop and as the selection of shopping is quite limited. LSL is pretty much devoid of real retail with MANY stores going out and not being replaced by retail, but mostly investment places. Brownwood is a bit better. I like Macy's, Nordstrom, Kohls, Costco, TJ's, Whole Foods you might be happy with The Purple Pig (ooops, sorry, they are closing this month) or Men's Warehouse (ooops, out of business) or Van Heusen (ooops, out of business) or Bass (oh no, out of business) but there are plenty of banks and Investment houses. All a matter of what one is used to. Yea, one can "shop online" which is all we do most of the time but going to a REAL STORE or mall or big outlet center is different xperience so we do both. Thus, our monthly trips to civilization, I mean Orlando or back up north for that REAL experience!
I have never shopped a retail store in any of the squares. Maybe that is why all those stores have closed; because of non shoppers like me. I agree with you and much prefer to shop at regular retail stores.

I like the squares for their restaurants and the nightly entertainment and frequent them for those purposes.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
God, I sure hope not.
Different strokes for different folks. I would not live anywhere if there was not the convenience of retails stores, restaurants, big box stores and medical facilities very near by. Mallory Square is a perfect location for all those conveniences.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Jealous.. Please stay up in the old area.
I don't agree with the harsh words in that post but, I can only speak for myself here. I am not the slightest bit jealous of those who purchased homes south of 44. I much prefer living in the northern part of The Villages. I'm located close to Lake Sumter Landing and love the convenience of all the retail and restaurants we have close to us. I also find the northern part of The Villages more beautiful than the areas south of 44.

Tags
shopping, area, located, super, walmart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.