Under 50

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Default Under 50

Okay I have followed totv a little while now and find the various information here informative, interesting and very useful. I think my wife and I fall in to a brand new category in TV. We are thinking of making a move to TV soon. Get this, we will not be part of the traditional "retired" status of villagers however, like most posters, we want to be there. Our home did sell (hard to believe I know) and going to give it a go. I think we will be one of (if not the only) under 50 couples in to be full time in TV. Still going to work but hey, if we only get to take advantage of 20% of what TV has to offer we will be very happy. People are great weather is better then here in NH and golf year round!! I don't know if we will be the only under 50 couple but we don't care. To hard to be Snow Birds at our age, so if everything falls in place here we will begin a new life at the Villages as early as April!
d
Old 01-03-2008, 02:15 AM
Gold member
Default Re: Under 50

I can't speak to the under 50 part of your post. Gosh knows I passed that some time ago.

However, I do know there are quite a few couples where sometimes one of the two is still working and there is a couple in their early sixties on my street, both still working.

Personaly, I am retired, my husband is not and probobly won't for a few more years. So, you won't be unusual. Even with one of us working we still get to enjoy a lot of the lifestyle.
So, see you in the spring. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Sage

By regulation, up to 20% of the homes in a 55+ community can be sold to persons under 55, so, that will not be a problem. We have some neighbors where both of the individuals are under 55.

You will definitely be one of the youngest couples around, but, folks here act and look at least 10 years younger than their chronological age.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:18 AM

Hello Barb1191

Yes we double checked and we can live in TV without issue. No one under the age of 19 may live in TV full time in any household. A post after yours mentioned that as much as 20% of homes in TV are available for those under 55. That is exactly what what we were told before we made a decision to relocate. Honestly, Thank you for your concern and for thinking ahead for us. This is exactly why I decided to post, I thought it might be an interesting topic. When I asked my agent if we might the only ones (under 50) she quickly replied "It is hard to say, peoples real ages in TV are very hard too tell" Boy she wasn't kidding. I think the last fella I played golf with while on vacation might have been in his upper 70's and beat me 2 rounds and didn't break a sweat!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:41 AM
Gold member

Welcome to TV.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 AM
Dancing Thyme

Dang (and Mrs. Dang), congratulations on your decision to move to TV:

don't worry, your age doesn't matter in TV, its the attitude. Hope you can keep up with all us 35 year olds... LOL.

Happy for you, Kathie

permanent TV res. in '08

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-03-2008, 05:59 AM

I myself am under 50 and love the Villages. My hubby and I have lived here for 4.5 years. For the most part I have been accepted, but on occasion have been told by a couple of neighbors I'm to young to live here, but I don't let it get to me, there are plenty of other people that live here that are accepting of the younger generation. So with that being said I welcome you.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddiroxi
I myself am under 50 and love the Villages. My hubby and I have lived here for 4.5 years. For the most part I have been accepted, but on occasion have been told by a couple of neighbors I'm to young to live here, but I don't let it get to me, there are plenty of other people that live here that are accepting of the younger generation. So with that being said I welcome you.
Good attitude, Teddi. You find them everywhere, but don't let the get you down.

Regarding the 20% rule, I've talked to a couple of the Poobahs about it and been told that it is a result of a federal ruling against age discrimination. I assume that those places that do enforce an "over 55" rule are undoubtedly smaller and likely not based on the CDD concept. It might be that unlike our neighboring developments which are private properties, we are a legal governmental entity and so cannot discriminate. Don't know how that fits with the 20% rather than having the whole place open.

Anyway, welcome Dang. Some days I remember what being young was like.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 AM

Just to let you know there are many couples under 55. We're in this group. When we moved to TV we both were under 50. Once you move here you will meet many people in the same category you're in. We first moved to the TV in 2003 and were told then about the 20 percent rule. There are many couples up by Nancy Lopez that are in the under 55 age group.
I also think if you have the money to buy a home here you will be able to buy.
Sakura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
Okay I have followed totv a little while now and find the various information here informative, interesting and very useful. I think my wife and I fall in to a brand new category in TV. We are thinking of making a move to TV soon. Get this, we will not be part of the traditional "retired" status of villagers however, like most posters, we want to be there. Our home did sell (hard to believe I know) and going to give it a go. I think we will be one of (if not the only) under 50 couples in to be full time in TV. Still going to work but hey, if we only get to take advantage of 20% of what TV has to offer we will be very happy. People are great weather is better then here in NH and golf year round!! I don't know if we will be the only under 50 couple but we don't care. To hard to be Snow Birds at our age, so if everything falls in place here we will begin a new life at the Villages as early as April!
d
Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Sage

My wife and i will be under 55 when we move down in a couple of years so i appreciate this topic. We know two couples who already live there and we can't wait to join them.

As far as the 80/20 rule goes - that is not something the developer can just ignore. TV is a 55+ community and the legal rules for that are detailed elsewhere on this board. But with some many homes available i don't think that more than 20% of homes will be needed for those of us under 55.

I have also golfed with some 70+ y.o. guys who kicked by butt!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 PM

I am a first time poster, so bear with me.

The number of "under 55" households has got to be below 20% or "the villages" will no longer be able to be a "55+ community" in Florida.

This is from Florida Commision on Human Relations http://fchr.state.fl.us/resources/55...g/requirements .

Requirements for a community to be considered "housing for older persons":

A: The housing is specifically designed and operated to assist elderly persons and is intended for, and solely occupied by, persons 62 years of age or older

B: The housing is intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:

At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.

The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons
The facility or community complies with rules established by HUD for verification of occupancy

Note : for this section, the facility or community has to choose only a) or b) above; not both.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Love it!! Love it!! We have been here for 4 years and I was under 55 (husband just made it). Now we are seeing alot of younger people which I like.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Platinum member

And, of course, you may find yourself enjoying all your neighbors regardless of age. Our cul-de-sac street has 16 houses, 28 more or less full-time residents. Our oldest is 82, youngest just had her 55th birthday. We party every month, sometimes even more frequently, and everyone has a ball!
Enjoyed an in-the-street New Year's Eve party, invited friends and neighbors (mostly from neighboring streets) and ended up with nearly 150 guests! Of course, everyone was in bed by 12:15am, though! :joke:
Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Gold member

I am reading this thread with great interest. Our 36 year old son visited us for three days. When it was time for him to return home he delayed his leaving as much as possible.

He had such a positive experience here and in the surrounding area that he can not wait until he can return.

He felt very welcome where ever he went and enjoyed riding around in the golf cart.

I guess younger people are now "drinking the water" and experiencing the same thing. I personally have no problems with younger people moving into TV and welcome them.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 01-04-2008, 12:56 AM

Geeze, the friendly nature of TV people certainly show even right here on this forum. My wife and I both read over the all replys. We each got a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. We have spent some time in TV before we though about moving there and we have nothing but fantastic experiences to report. We met some new neighbors and got to try out some of what the villages offers. I got to say folks we met were all inviting, interesting and just plain super people! The common factor we found was that they all wanted to be there. Not one of them could imagine living anywhere else. We were welcomed everywhere we went and someware alone the line we started to believe this is the place for us. We just think we are so lucky to find it earlier rather then later. We were joking around thinking we were going to attach a big flag on our golf cart that read NEW FRIENDS NEEDED! however, we now feel finding new friends will be the least of our adjusting worries. Thanks for all your replys!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.