Should Lawn Mowers and Leaf Blowers be Battery Operated in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2021, 11:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

You worry about the noise from lawn equipment etc, but NOTHING is mention about the Harley motorcycles
and old cars with loud exhaust pipes.

Would you 55+ people with loud pipes please grow up.

We have friends that live near the gate in TV, and when those loud vehicle's stop at the gate and take off, their windows rattle,
with no respect to people.

There is water pollution, air pollution, and noise pollution.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:44 AM
Default 👍👍👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
I read this morning that in a half hour, the pollutants spewed by the average two-cycle engine in a leaf blower equals the pollution from a Ford F-150 pickup—over a 3,600 mile drive! California has recently banned gas-powered leaf blowers, edgers, trimmers, lawnmowers, etc. use by lawn care companies because the pollution they put out is equal to the pollution from ALL the cars in California. It seems that battery-powered equipment, recharged at night, has reached the level where by having multiple batteries, crews can work all day without recharging. (All of my power tools are now battery-powered, including my Sawsall and my full-size circular saw and my big drill.) Battery-powered tools are also much quieter. For homeowners in The Villages with lawns, an electric mower with a cord may make more sense.

Should the appropriate governing units here follow the lead in California and require lawn crews to use battery-powered tools?
Hell No
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	F0C5811A-B158-4378-88D1-34957C7EE7D7.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	91307  
Old 10-26-2021, 11:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

It would be a huge expense if everyone needed to upgrade their equipment thus raising the price we all pay for landscaping. Also, as others have said, it would just be moving the pollution to another area.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:49 AM

Sounds like you didn’t do enough research before buying your home
Old 10-26-2021, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
The developer needs to build a segregated village for all the whining, crying, moaning, groaning, woe is me OLD goats to live in with a 20' wall around it and an armed guard at the entrance to keep out all the riff raff. No lawn mowers allowed, no noisy cars or motorcycles, no dogs, no construction contractors with noisy power tools, and no wind chimes. Did I miss anything?
Apparently some of you lived in Utopia before coming here, so why did you leave? Can old people do anything besides complain?
The Villages Florida The Villages Florida
Old 10-26-2021, 12:05 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
The spouse works from home. She does a lot of online meetings and has to apologize for the noise from the various landscape contractors that service the neighbors. We live on a street with kissing Lanais. Thus you get your side of the street, the folks across the street, and everyone behind you. Few if any have the same company cutting grass, so the procession of landscaping diesels trucks and gas mowers march constant near us.
You are right on, it NEVER ends, never. Even Sat. and Sun., really hard to believe that is permitted in any community, let alone one as planned and restricted as TV's. But, have a relative who moved to the Villages of Hot Springs in Arkansas. LOVES it, edge of the Ozarks, beautiful lakes, golf courses, nature trails. But she also works at home for a big name box store and constant lawn workers, 7 days a week, could cost her her income. Fortunately, her area of the villages has specific days residents can schedule this, and she is able to NOT schedule hours for her work on that day during day hours. She said she simply schedules her hours for the evening and night on lawn day. Now, I realize, that would not work for everyone, and places like our Villages where it can be done at any hour seven days a week.. well ! It's also amusing (some would say sad I guess), that 4 different companies can all have their big flat beds parked on the same street at the same times, while there employees each blow all the derbies to the neighbors yard, and then their lawn people come around the house and blow it all BACK to the house next door. One (bad me I know !), I asked a worker why they do this, why not just blow it on the lawn of the person they work for. I said this very very politely, not in any kind of "challenging" tone, just like genuine curiosity... the replay was was "MY brother OWNS this company and we are given strict instructions to make sure it is blown out of the yard of the PAYING customer.. . I had a hard time not laughing or appearing to be challenging her ( the worker). I just said, " oh, okay, I see, not questioning, I was just curious was all".... How would one ever attempt to appeal to an individual who states that kind of "logic".. LOL !
We solved it this way, bought a blower VAC. Now, when the lawn "service" finishes blowing all my neighbor's HUGE magnolia leaves from their yard into our and the house directly across the street, I wait for them to leave, then go out and my blower will suck them up like a vacuum (WorX is the brand), instead of blowing them all into the yard of my other neighbor ! Problem solved, I do the work, but preserve the relationship with my neighbors who are the best. BTW, we love this WorX blower vac in case anyone ever thought about it to solve the problem of getting everyone else's debris.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
You worry about the noise from lawn equipment etc, but NOTHING is mention about the Harley motorcycles
and old cars with loud exhaust pipes.

Would you 55+ people with loud pipes please grow up.

We have friends that live near the gate in TV, and when those loud vehicle's stop at the gate and take off, their windows rattle,
with no respect to people.

There is water pollution, air pollution, and noise pollution.

Sorry, but loud pipes on a motorcycle is just plain self-defense and common sense when living around such dangerous OLD drivers that can't see or hear. My old Harley used to set off car alarms on a narrow residential street, so I used to have to coast down the street, when going home. BUT, the loud noise of me driving in a blind spot while passing probably saved my life hundreds of times. If folks find a few seconds of unpleasant noise on occasion unbearable, perhaps they should just remove their hearing aids.

It is unfortunate that people are living longer than ever today. They seem to have over lived their comfort zone(?) and now must be so bored that they have to spend their last miserable days complaining about every trivial mote of irritation.

On my street, just about every day of the week I will hear lawn equipment for about 15mins during the day. Most of the time, I do not even notice it. Twice a week, I hear the trash pickup trucks in the morning. Maybe we should demand that they quit picking up because they might disturb someone's sleep? No one complains about their trash being removed, but they sure complain about someone ELSE'S lawn being mowed.

Lets be clear. The neighborhood can be noisy EVERYday, during the day. There are night noise restrictions. Sleep at night and you won't have to be concerned about someone doing their job to support their families in your neighborhood during the day. I would rather hear a bit a daily noise than worry about someone SILENTLY sneaking around, breaking into homes and stealing. But, that is another subject.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:25 PM

The Answer to your question, No!
But you can help yourself to this if you like to keep the noise down and save the world....
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Help yourself.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	91308  
Old 10-26-2021, 12:49 PM
Veteran member

Move to California ...PLEASE!!!!
Old 10-26-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Seems a good solution, one caveat, did you ever do some comparisons on the price of a replacement battery (or purchasing an additional to enable sustained work) with what you used to spend for gasoline ? I suppose that would be a detailed analysis, but, could do with the help of a computer. One thing that stood out is your comment that now you can mow earlier or later and not disturb your neighbors.... too bad all these lawn "service" companies are not as concerned as you ! Have been making mental "notes" on these things as our incredibly dependable, self-propelled, Briggs & Stratton from Sears will one day need to be replaced, always did like Ryobi products, but noticed my latest purchase just a month ago, it too is "made in China !". I keep "looking" at the battery mowers for future purchase. One thing that concerns me, with so many tools and implements going battery, are most produced in the USA and support our economy ? May not be a good choice if we become as dependent on outside sources as we have for medicines, and then come up short ? So many things to consider.. sure hope the old Craftsman continues to start on the first pull for a while longer while we try to weight the positives and negatives !
I've had to replace a 40v 5ah battery that wouldn't take a charge after 3 years. A Ryiobi OEM replacement was around $125 ish , Amazon knock off brand was around $80
Old 10-26-2021, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,046 Times in 2,737 Posts

Nfw
Old 10-26-2021, 02:51 PM

give me my gas power all day long.. the battery tools do not stand up to real work.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:59 PM

Glad my neighbors and I have desert lawns.

Although I would be more concerned with the emission-less golf carts.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:07 PM

Start you own landscaping company and only battery powered equipment..
Old 10-26-2021, 04:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,302 Times in 560 Posts

evidently lots of Plaque Buildup on this posting! California should stay in California.. this progresive stuff must stop soon
Closed Thread

Tags
battery-powered, lawn, pollution, tools, leaf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.