Should my cat and I be scared of this snake?

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2023, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

How would your cat be in danger unless you let it outside which in TV I would highly advise not to do because there are too many predators out there?
Old 02-06-2023, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
It's a long black snake, my picture didn't upload.
A black racer harmless.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:40 AM

Oh, black snakes are very good. I was so glad to see it was a black snake!
Old 02-06-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Are there venomous snakes in our midst in TV? If so, what are they called or look like?
Central Florida has all four kinds of venomous snakes in the USA: rattlesnake, water moccasin (aka cottonmouth), copperhead, and coral snake. The most likely habitat for these snakes around TV is natural settings such as the woods, ponds, and marshy areas. If you are around these kinds of areas, there is a chance of coming across one. Hikers and golfers looking for their ball around a pond are the mostly likely people around TV to come across any of them. Assuming one’s house is not close to a pond or marshy area, I believe there is only a very remote chance that you will come across a venomous snake around a house in TV with a rattlesnake being the most likely among those four kinds.

You can recognize the four kinds of venomous snakes relatively easily. The rattlesnake, water moccasin, and copperhead have triangular heads. The coral snake can be recognized by its colors and color pattern. The tricky part with coral snakes is their coloring is similar to the non-venomous king snake. The way I remember the difference between these two snakes is that coral snakes have their red and yellow bands touching each other whereas the king snake does not. I remember the red and yellow combination as a traffic light.

Black racer snakes are relatively common around TV. The venomous snake closest in coloring to black racers is the water moccasin. Both are mostly black. You can distinguish these two snakes by their head and body dimensions. As noted, the water moccasin has a triangular head and proportionately wider body whereas the black racer has a smaller head and thinner body. Black racers will likely slither away fast from a human. Water moccasins will often stand their ground and have a bad disposition. When hiking around TV, I am more worried about a bad outcome from a water moccasin than an alligator.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:03 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 424 Posts

Having a black racer around your house can be a good thing. While not warm and cuddly like a puppy, they are great for keeping the pest population under control. Be advised, however, that they can slither into your house if you have a habit of leaving a door open. We've had a couple of neighbors who have found them inside the house, which can lead to an elevated heart rate!
Old 02-06-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Are there venomous snakes in our midst in TV? If so, what are they called or look like?
Yes, there are venomous snakes here. I saw a water moccasin on the Fenney pitch and putt last year. Remember that venomous snakes are vipers with triangular shaped heads. Round headed snakes like the Black Racer are non-venomous.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
My first time facing this type of snake here in The Villages. Do you know what it is? Is it venomous? I'm not sure how safe my cat and I are around that. Have you encountered snakes?
Harmless Black racer, good to have around.The snake is in mitre danger than the cat.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
It's a long black snake, my picture didn't upload.
No. It's called a black racer. Harmless... They're good to have around. They eat bugs, rodents and have been known to take on rattlesnakes and win!
Old 02-06-2023, 08:26 AM
Sage

Don't forget the pygmy rattle-snakes. I HATE snakes! BTW....do not walk through tall grass and shrubbery. I see golfers all the time searching for lost balls in this. Snakes live and lurk in these places. IF one goes to the meeting for new Villagers you'll learn all sorts of information re: our community.

Quote:
My first time facing this type of snake here in The Villages. Do you know what it is? Is it venomous? I'm not sure how safe my cat and I are around that. Have you encountered snakes?
We see a black snake every so often around the outside of our lanai and birdcage. We have 2 cats who do go out to these screened areas and so far no issue. The issue is I am deathly afraid of snakes and it makes me nauseous just to look at them. So by the time I scream and run back in the house to get my husband and he goes out there to shoo it away it is gone. Crisis averted! I also have found a snake skin in the shrub beds and in planters a few times. We live across the street from a retention pond which seems a good distance away. Apparently not! LOL

Quote:
No. It's called a black racer. Harmless... They're good to have around. They eat bugs, rodents and have been known to take on rattlesnakes and win!
Old 02-06-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yes. We have Eastern Diamondback Rattle snakes, Coral snakes and Water Moccasins.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:29 AM
Default 10 snakes in Central FL, 4 of which are venomous

10 Snakes In Central Florida - AZ Animals
Old 02-06-2023, 08:38 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 523 Posts

I have quite a few snakes living in my yard. Mostly Corn snakes and Garter snakes. They are very welcome here. Your cat is in more danger from Coyotes and Bobcats.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:47 AM
Default Pygmy rattler

Quote:
This litte snake can and will hurt your cat as it did to our little dog. Look it up on the internet. If bitten there is a
Vacine or antidote.
Closed Thread

Tags
cat, snake, venomous, safe, encountered

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.