Should my cat and I be scared of this snake?

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2023, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Very informative, thank you. I can't believe how unaware I've been while trimming the bush in my back yard that backs onto a pond. I guess I've been lucky not to get bit so far.
I warm weather just make some noise or play a radio, and they will go away and hide. For any temperature like 40 degrees or lower (since they're cold-blooded) They coil up to keep the little bit of heat inside them and sort of power down their senses. That is when a human might step on them. They wake up and feel attacked.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
The Coral is far from the most poisonous Florida snake.
You should try the google machine yourself.
The Most Venomous Snakes Of Florida - WorldAtlas

Coral snake anti-venom hasn't been made since 2003
If coral snake bites you, don't count on antivenin

The cut and suck out the venom is not recommended according to the CDC
Prevent or Respond to Snake Bite|Natural Disasters and Severe Weather
I stand by my contention that the CORAL snake is the MOST deadly. The CORAL snake venom attacks the nervous system of a human or animal. A copperhead has a acid-like poison that can be sucked out (before going to a hospital). Nothing is gained by sucking out a CORAL snake bit so you have to get to the Hospital for an antidote QUICKER than with a copperhead or rattlesnake. I know a person that got bitten by a rattlesnake and did NOT even KNOW that he was bitten. He was hiking and noticed that he had a slight limp, then he figured it out and went to a hospital - where they told him that it was a rattlesnake bite. Between a rattlesnake and a copperhead, I would think that the size of the snake would be more determinative of how much poison whichever one had.
...........And even IF that article was correct......I am sure that the CORAL snake is a close 2nd.
......Also, if the CDC says NOT to suck out the rattlesnake or copperhead venom........then I stand corrected.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:29 PM

Well...in my opinion...you should be terrified!

That type of black snake has the capacity to unhinge its jaws and spread its mouth very far open. There have been reports that such snakes have bitten off a leg of a person owning a cat. Evidently, the snake prefers the taste of human meat to that of cat meat. However, in the interest of accuracy, such snakes typically only bite off toes...so beware of wearing open toed shoes!

So...yeah...be very very frightened!!!

To overcome such fear, you could go to your local library and reviw a book on snakes and reptiles found in Florida!
Old 02-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Well, that’s a lot to process…………….
And it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the OP's question...

Shocking, I know!

-Tom Petty
Old 02-07-2023, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I stand by my contention that the CORAL snake is the MOST deadly. The CORAL snake venom attacks the nervous system of a human or animal. A copperhead has a acid-like poison that can be sucked out (before going to a hospital). Nothing is gained by sucking out a CORAL snake bit so you have to get to the Hospital for an antidote QUICKER than with a copperhead or rattlesnake. I know a person that got bitten by a rattlesnake and did NOT even KNOW that he was bitten. He was hiking and noticed that he had a slight limp, then he figured it out and went to a hospital - where they told him that it was a rattlesnake bite. Between a rattlesnake and a copperhead, I would think that the size of the snake would be more determinative of how much poison whichever one had.
...........And even IF that article was correct......I am sure that the CORAL snake is a close 2nd.
......Also, if the CDC says NOT to suck out the rattlesnake or copperhead venom........then I stand corrected.
Be prepared to stand...

Here, Let Me Google That For You! Teach People How to Google

-Tom Petty
Old 02-07-2023, 05:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
Well...in my opinion...you should be terrified!

That type of black snake has the capacity to unhinge its jaws and spread its mouth very far open. There have been reports that such snakes have bitten off a leg of a person owning a cat. Evidently, the snake prefers the taste of human meat to that of cat meat. However, in the interest of accuracy, such snakes typically only bite off toes...so beware of wearing open toed shoes!

So...yeah...be very very frightened!!!

To overcome such fear, you could go to your local library and reviw a book on snakes and reptiles found in Florida!
I hope that was"tongue in cheek".
Old 02-07-2023, 07:25 PM

PSA of the day. Please stop using 'venemous' and 'poisonous' interchangeably.
Unless you are regularly eating snakes, you wont know if they are poisonous.
Venemous means you die if it bites you.
Poisonous means you die if you eat it.
Thank you.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
PSA of the day. Please stop using 'venemous' and 'poisonous' interchangeably.
Unless you are regularly eating snakes, you wont know if they are poisonous.
Venemous means you die if it bites you.
Poisonous means you die if you eat it.
Thank you.
Throughout History, people have eaten snakes. I assume that they would taste like alligator which is often served in restaurants.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Are there venomous snakes in our midst in TV? If so, what are they called or look like?
You can look it up on the internet. You can tell by the shape of the head. Snakes, considering they have no legs are shockingly fast. A cat will chase most anything that moves. Your cat cannot ID a poisonous snake. We are loaded with wildlife that would enjoy your pet cat for lunch.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Throughout History, people have eaten snakes. I assume that they would taste like alligator which is often served in restaurants.
I like to believe beef comes in saran wrap trays. I have eaten alligator. It was on a dare. Nothing memorable about it. I assume like any other animal there are better cuts and less desirable cuts.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
Before I moved to Florida I had someone tell me,” In Florida, you’re never more than 10 ft. from a snake”
Probably like so many tales it depends on where. Most animals have some kind of camouflage.
The orioles that some think are geckos with those annoying insurance ads have like chameleons
the ability to change color.

No snake expert but why do I not see any baby snakes the ones I've seen are at least a foot and a half long. Are they born that big from the eggs?
Closed Thread

Tags
cat, snake, venomous, safe, encountered

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.