Should we wish for a shopping mall close the TV?

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Should we wish for a shopping mall close the TV?

In Cincinnati many of our nice Malls have become "trouble spots" where teens who do NOT go to school hang out. Some cases of armed robbery in parking lots are reported. Malls are not as safe and fun in some towns as they used to be.

What is your feeling about this? How are Malls in your old home town? Am I a Dora Doom...or is this somewhat of a concern if a Mall does come close to Brownwood?

Just read this today on current news on the Computer and got me to thinking.

NOT that we could do anything about it.

The future of the American mall- MSN Money
Old 04-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I say the large malls are close enough. Ocala, Orlando, Tampa. Good excuse for a day trip. Malls draw crowds and traffic both of which are not always good. The small mall that was planned near Brownwood if it comes about will be large enough for my likings. When the large malls hit Long Island , Roosevelt Field, Huntington, Smithhaven, Valley Stream the little Mom and Pop stores in the towns lost out.Many of those small towns are still trying to recover 20 plus years later. I don't want to see that happen here in TV.
So my answer would be leave things as is they're plenty close now and there's always the internet for home delivery.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Gold member

In the Detroit area almost every mall is a mere shadow of what it used to be. There are a few malls that are thriving but they are in upscale areas with expensive stores. In my opinion, the advantage of having a mall was because of the cold weather and this isn't a problem here. I would love to see a Macys and a Home Goods, there is already a Sears and Pennys nearby (although they are very small). If you look at the stores at an average mall you will find things like FOREVER 21 (don't I wish), LIMITED, GAME STOP, COREYS (jewelry and accessories for teens) and stores that specialize in prom dresses. These are the stores that bring in the young kids, these are also the stores that the majority of residents here wouldn't use. I do find one thing sad however, people are sometimes unnecessarily intimidated by groups of young people. There can be an automatic assumption that these kids are up to 'no good' when in reality they are just enjoying hanging out with their friends. This assumption can then be translated as arrogance or anger on our part. Sometime if you find yourself feeling this way try smiling and saying hi. Most often you will be pleasantly surprised by the reaction of these 'tough' teenagers.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Speaking of Home Goods I got another response from them and COSTCO yesterday. Both responses said thanks for your questions regarding us adding a store in your area BUT at this time we have no such plans for adding in your areas. Thanks !
Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

In my home area up north the mals that were in poorer neighborhoods did indeed attract a lot of teens. They did have a lot of problems at those malls, not only from the teens, but from other unsavory elements. The malls that were in the nicer more upscale areas had no such problems.

Why do we need a mall here in The Villages? We have pretty much everything we need here. There are so many strip malls and shopping areas here that it gives the same effect as having a mall. The Villages is kind of like one gigantic mall.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:25 AM

I would prefer to travel to Ocala or Orlando to mall shop. Too many malls end up with only the anchor stores once the smaller stores go out of business
Old 04-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
In my home area up north the mals that were in poorer neighborhoods did indeed attract a lot of teens. They did have a lot of problems at those malls, not only from the teens, but from other unsavory elements. The malls that were in the nicer more upscale areas had no such problems.

Why do we need a mall here in The Villages? We have pretty much everything we need here. There are so many strip malls and shopping areas here that it gives the same effect as having a mall. The Villages is kind of like one gigantic mall.
I agree and if we need any more smaller/strip malls there is Buffalo Ridge. I have no way of knowing what the Developer plans for Buffalo Ridge. It is large enough for a mall similar to Paddock Mall in Ocala but it is broken up into smaller plots. I expect it will fill out with more retail outlets. It would be nice if one of them were Cosco but it seems they are not on our radar yet.

BTW, only today and tomorrow left to complete the survey. Last chance to get in a plug for your favorite retailer. I believe the survey results are a powerful tool for the Developer to use in attracting retailers.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I that we don't have a mall in TV. I like the atmosphere of having smaller shops far better and prefer to give the local shop owners my money. When I need a fix I go to the Orlando outlets and shop along with thousands of other people. That satisfies my need to shop for a long, long time. The exception would be Homegoods, Trader Joes and Costco but that's it.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum member

I'd like a mall, doesn't have to be huge. I don't think we have to worry too much about the mom & pop stores because we don't have any.

I've never been to Costco and if they opened wouldn't bother going. The place sounds like Walmart in huge quantities with shopping carts filled with ill-behaved children chirping like dolphins.

I'd love an outlet mall, Eddie Bauer, the Gap and of course MACY'S.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
snipped
I'd love an outlet mall, Eddie Bauer, the Gap and of course MACY'S.
i'll second that preference! please include coach, michael kors, ll bean, yankee candle, dress barn, kitchen collection, harry & david and the christmas tree shops!

Old 04-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Sage

Happy to say my mall days have been over for quite a few years and not because of age (63), but because I have no desire to go to them. Too much comotion, congestion and nonsense. Find myself shopping less and less these days unless I can find an awesome nursery, gift shop, or golf store. I like these changes - my husband loves them!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
I say the large malls are close enough. Ocala, Orlando, Tampa. Good excuse for a day trip. Malls draw crowds and traffic both of which are not always good. The small mall that was planned near Brownwood if it comes about will be large enough for my likings. When the large malls hit Long Island , Roosevelt Field, Huntington, Smithhaven, Valley Stream the little Mom and Pop stores in the towns lost out.Many of those small towns are still trying to recover 20 plus years later. I don't want to see that happen here in TV.
So my answer would be leave things as is they're plenty close now and there's always the internet for home delivery.
I agree. I also do most of my shopping for mall type items online and either have them delivered to my home or the home of the person I'm buying the item for as a gift.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Sage

I think malls are needed in the icy northern areas because of bad weather and having to park in the large open lots (better to park once and do the walking to various stores inside, under roof). But around here I think it works to have one or two big anchor stores for some smaller shopping plazas like we have on the perimeters of TV. Again we need HomeGoods, Costco, Trader Joes.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Platinum member

It doesn't need to be an enclosed mall, just some stores that I like to shop at.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,619 Times in 1,763 Posts

It would be nice to have a Costco nearby. As for major department stores i don't mind driving some. I do not much care for having undesirables of any ilk hanging around the neighborhood so am willing to forego a convenient shopping mall of the type that would attract them.

Where I now reside the city has almost completed building a new municipal center not far from my home. I do not look forward to the added traffic. Also, many homeless hang out near and in the existing public library adjacent to the almost completed municipal center. The city is installing cameras which run 24/7 to monitor the parking lots and other areas where they could spend the night. Ugh!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.