Should we wish for a shopping mall close the TV?

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default Enclosed Mall not likely

I've looked into my crystal ball and do not see an enclosed mall in or close to TV. Frankly, enclosed regional type malls have lost their favor all across the country. There are several reasons. First and foremost is the fact that our children and grand children are shopping more frequently on the Internet. This trend is growing especially with the "30 something's" and teenagers. Maybe a strip mall with a free standing Macy's or Dillard's are possible but not a Regional type enclosed mall IMHO.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Also got response from Macy's & they are not coming to The Villages
Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiceis View Post
Also got response from Macy's & they are not coming to The Villages
That does it, I'm out of here.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
Your thinking of Sam's Club which is part of Walmart. Costco is a whole different animal for the most part.
We walked through our local Costco for the first time a few weeks ago, and honestly came away unimpressed. Yes, it may be a little nicer, more upscale than Sam's, but certainly not a huge difference. And we sure didn't see any jaw-dropping low prices that would justify the cost of a membership, either. I suppose if you have a large family & need certain staples in large quantities it might be worth it, but after hearing folks crow & brag about Costco for several years I was expecting much more.

I'm curious to know where folks see the huge difference between Sam's & Costco.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 PM

It was the late 70's and the village (maybe city) of North Randall, Ohio had the Randall Park Mall open up. It was a double deck mall and at the time was the largest mall in the United States. Everyone went there to experience it. It really was awesome. Then the problem with kids appeared and finally the urban influence took over. It closed in 2008. A place where 5000 people used to work is empty. The same happened to Euclid Square Mall in Euclid, Ohio. Same double deck concept opened in '77 and closed in 2006. Basically for the same reasons as above. Used to love both of these places to see the Christmas displays until you didn't feel safe anymore. Now the closet Mall is South Park about 45 minutes away and I'm glad of it. Sometimes malls may seem convenient but, they are not worth the trouble they invite and I hope one is not built in the villages. I just have to find out how to get to the other malls others have mentioned on this thread.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:15 AM
Sage

No. Malls are like indoor carnivals. I feel claustrophobic.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:49 AM
Sage
Default An airconditioned mall would be welcomed in the summer months

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-25-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:55 AM
Sage

No malls.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-25-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Veteran member

i will be happy for some variety in shopping that is planned for the power center being built adjacently to brownwood. another wal-mart, or maybe target, an office supply store (staples), and a decent home improvement store (home depot) would be greatly appreciated. travelling to 441 in summerfield/lady lake from hemingway is so aggravating. this area does not have the desired demographic that would interest any mall developer.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:36 AM

I live about one mile to a Macy's. There are two other Macy's about 8-10 miles from here along with malls that have just about every store imaginable. I am spoiled and will miss the convenience. I vote YES to a Macy's, home goods, Ann Taylor loft, Marshalls, TJ Maxx,and the likes. Once a shopper and always a shopper. Especially the sales that these stores offer !
Old 09-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurevillager2013 View Post
I live about one mile to a Macy's. There are two other Macy's about 8-10 miles from here along with malls that have just about every store imaginable. I am spoiled and will miss the convenience. I vote YES to a Macy's, home goods, Ann Taylor loft, Marshalls, TJ Maxx,and the likes. Once a shopper and always a shopper. Especially the sales that these stores offer !

Those decisions are not in the hands of the homeowners here.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurevillager2013 View Post
Brag, brag, hey, we do have Belks...I have been to nine shops in TV trying to find a purple top with pizzaz. arrgh. at least I found some Gator stuff, but no joy on purple.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What is your feeling about this? How are Malls in your old home town? Am I a Dora Doom...or is this somewhat of a concern if a Mall does come close to Brownwood?
I don't think a huge indoor mall is the trend now. Seems more like walkable malls like the one at Stoneybrook, Winter Garden Village, Winter Park Village, etc are being built.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 09-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Brag, brag, hey, we do have Belks...I have been to nine shops in TV trying to find a purple top with pizzaz. arrgh. at least I found some Gator stuff, but no joy on purple.
I went to West Oak Mall in Orlando yesterday to find a swimmingsuit at Penney's or Macy's or Dillards.....I guess nobody is expected to swim in Florida after Sept. 1. I did find 2 in my size at Dillards.

But....poor West Oak Mall...only Dillards and Penneys are still there as the anchor stores, and most of the storefronts were closed!
Not a good sign for such a beautiful indoor mall.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.