Shut off water to house when leaving for 2 to 3 months

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 AM
Default Shut off water to house when leaving for 2 to 3 months

We closed on our house yesterday and only have a few days to get things lined up before he leave on Feb 28. One thing I want to do is shut off the water coming into the house so there is no chance of springing a leak and causing a huge mess.

There is a red valve in the garage just prior to the water softener. I assume if I turn off this red valve there will be no water pressure coming into the house. i plan to also shut off the power to the hot water heater and turn off the water softener so it will not try to cycle. I will also shut off the ice maker in the freezer and open a tap to release water pressure inside home.

I assume that shutting off the water coming into the house would have zero effect on the lawn sprinkler system as I would leave this running.

Is the above the proper way to avoid possibility of major water damage in my absence? Home watch is not the answer as a leak could develop 10 minutes after they leave and the damage is done and they would not find it till they made their next visit.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:13 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

yes
Old 02-23-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
We closed on our house yesterday and only have a few days to get things lined up before he leave on Feb 28. One thing I want to do is shut off the water coming into the house so there is no chance of springing a leak and causing a huge mess.

There is a red valve in the garage just prior to the water softener. I assume if I turn off this red valve there will be no water pressure coming into the house. i plan to also shut off the power to the hot water heater and turn off the water softener so it will not try to cycle. I will also shut off the ice maker in the freezer and open a tap to release water pressure inside home.

I assume that shutting off the water coming into the house would have zero effect on the lawn sprinkler system as I would leave this running.

Is the above the proper way to avoid possibility of major water damage in my absence? Home watch is not the answer as a leak could develop 10 minutes after they leave and the damage is done and they would not find it till they made their next visit.
We had one of those "can't happen" leaks and were gone for 15 minutes. We now always turn water off
Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Sage

There are a few problems with that. The water should be run weekly to avoid dried out traps in bathroom fixtures and all appliances that use water. That would indicate that homewatch IS the answer. dish washers and clothes washers should be short cycled (water in, water out) to keep seals from drying out and to keep lubricants spread evenly in the machinery. If you let the water in your water heater stagnate, you may find yourself with some really smelly water when you return. You should also keep your A/C running set at perhaps 80 degrees to keep the air dry to prevent mold. The alternative to this would be to install a humidistat to operate the A/C based on humidity rather than temperature. One more note on periodic running of the water in ALL fixtures: We are sometimes subjected to fairly severe wind from local storms. This wind can actually siphon the water from the drain traps. If traps stay dry, you will find your home full of sewer gas which is poisonous. There are a few more issues that any competent homewatch can explain to you.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
<snip> I assume that shutting off the water coming into the house would have zero effect on the lawn sprinkler system as I would leave this running. <snip>
This is true for homes south of 466. Not true for homes north of 466 which have one water supply line.

You didn't say where your house is located.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

In my opinion, the OP's plan to shut off the water for a 2-3 month absence is fine. It would be helpful if someone could check on the house once or twice during that period, if possible. I do agree that the AC should be left on. I think this would be consistent with the way the builder takes care of their new houses that are vacant for months before they are sold. I don't believe that they have someone who runs the water and appliances every week in those new houses.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:40 AM

We are just south of 466A. I could pour some RV antifree in the drains but doubt I can get that here. We do this up north for extended periods, it keeps the water from evaporating so fast from drain traps. I planned to set the A/C to 80 degrees. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts
Default Home automation is the answer

Install a stream labs water monitor to be aware of any leaks. You can get alerts on your phone for small steady leaks or major, pipe burst leaks. No tools, 5 minutes install. 199.00 home Depot, on line only.

Ideally pair this with a dome water valve for the ability to shut off water remotely. 90.00 Amazon. Plumbing is required. It is simple if you are handy, otherwise factor in more for a plumber.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:27 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
This is true for homes south of 466. Not true for homes north of 466 which have one water supply line.

If you shut off water in garage, it does not affect sprinkler water which has a shut off valve at sprinkler housing. I lived north of 466 and just shut water off in garage and sprinklers kept working.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Install a stream labs water monitor to be aware of any leaks. You can get alerts on your phone for small steady leaks or major, pipe burst leaks. No tools, 5 minutes install. 199.00 home Depot, on line only.

Ideally pair this with a dome water valve for the ability to shut off water remotely. 90.00 Amazon. Plumbing is required. It is simple if you are handy, otherwise factor in more for a plumber.
Great idea, but it requires a high speed internet connection to run the monitering system, something many part time residents don't have.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
We are just south of 466A. I could pour some RV antifree in the drains but doubt I can get that here. We do this up north for extended periods, it keeps the water from evaporating so fast from drain traps. I planned to set the A/C to 80 degrees. Thanks all for the suggestions.
No need to put RV antifreeze in the drain traps, no deep freezing in Florida. Just use water and then close the toilet bowl lids and sink drain stoppers to slow the evaporation process. We leave our A/C at 81 when away to control humidity, and in the summer put a dehumidifier on the Kitchen counter that drains into the sink (with the drain stopper open) as insurance in case the A/C stops working.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Your plan is fine. Just have a neighbor stop in once or twice a month to run the water, flush the toilets, check the ac. Buy him a nice gift when you get back. Neighbors take care of neighbors.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Water

Quote:

ON OUR HOUSE:
We always shut off the valve in the garage, it does the house only, sprinklers are suppose to be separate. We also flush the toilets once, after the main valve is off. that relieves the pressure in the lines. We put about half a cup of bleach in the drains, all drains and in the toilet bowl. If you flush, you will find with the main valve closed, there will be no flow or very little as it drops the pressure. Also, the CHEAP plastic shut off valve is really junk. It can separate, if you turn it off and still have pressure, then that valve is broken. They are famous for separating the stem from the sealing surface, JUNK! Replace it with a 100% BRASS VALVE only. In other states where there are real inspectors and out side the villages, those plastic valves are illegal to use in a house, they are for garden supply and reduced pressure only. When we bought I immediately replaced that plastic piece of junk with Brass. GOOD LUCK !!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

I agree about the plastic valve. Some people will actually hire a home watch service to open and close that valve every week to run the water. This is not a good idea because the valve is not intended to be used that often.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post

Not true, I can shut the water off to my house (valve in the garage wall) and the sprinkler system will still work just fine. We have one meter but the line splits past the meter, one to your sprinkler system and one to your house. Worked exactly the same way in my house in NC.

Tags
water, house, shut, leave, coming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.