Shut off water to house when leaving for 2 to 3 months

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2019, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Replacing the plastic valve with brass is a great idea and something I am going to do. How did you shut off the water before the valve so you could replace it?
You locate your water meter in your yard. Depending on the age, and location of your home, this will be in the front of your house near the roadway, or it could be in the back. Newer homes have a plastic rectangular shaped cover. Older homes, the lid will be concrete. Using a pair of pliers, or a "water key", you turn off the water supply. At this point you can replace the whole house shut-off valve. Keep in mind, I've seen plenty of cases where the whole-house shut-off valve doesn't fully stop the water supply, so in the the event of a plumbing water leak inside your home, it's always a good idea to know how to turn off the valve at the meter.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
You locate your water meter in your yard. Depending on the age, and location of your home, this will be in the front of your house near the roadway, or it could be in the back. Newer homes have a plastic rectangular shaped cover. Older homes, the lid will be concrete. Using a pair of pliers, or a "water key", you turn off the water supply. At this point you can replace the whole house shut-off valve. Keep in mind, I've seen plenty of cases where the whole-house shut-off valve doesn't fully stop the water supply, so in the the event of a plumbing water leak inside your home, it's always a good idea to know how to turn off the valve at the meter.
Thanks for the information.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:36 PM

I know of many people who have left water on and have regretted it. even with home watch.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, house, shut, leave, coming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.