What things should I NOT miss while visiting TV.

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Default What things should I NOT miss while visiting TV.

New on the forum, so HI ALL! The Wife and I are visiting TV Sept 5-11. What are "must" see-do-goto-get-eat-whatever things in TV?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:53 AM
Sage
Default Re: What things should I NOT miss while visiting TV.

first time in the area?
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-31-2007, 06:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Rent a golf cart.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 AM

ON OUR 1 AND ONLY TRIP FOR 6 DAYS IN TV WE WERE SCHEDULED TO RENT A GOLF CART. OUR REP. SAID NOT TO AND I AM GLAD WE DIDN'T. WE WERE SO BUSY LOOKING AT THE MAJOR THINGS (HOUSES, FINDING OUT WHERE WE WERE AT, LOOKING AT MAPS AND EVERYTHING ELSE THAT WAS CONFUSING, WE WOULD NOT HAVE APPRECIATED THE GOLF CART. MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE TO GO SLOW AND LOOK REAL CLOSE TO EVERYTHING. IT IS ALL GREAT. THE VIDEO THAT THEY SEND YOU IS NO WHERE NEAR WHAT IT IS LIKE DOWN IN TV. YOU WILL LOVE :bigthumbsup:IT. TAKE CARE KAR GUY
Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 PM

All ready setup the GC rental. We plan on using it every day so we thought it would be a plus to have one in the garage ready to go.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Veteran member

I would take advantage of the free bus tour leaving the sales center. It's only 45 minutes but you get a chance to ask your guide questions and get a sense of The Villages.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Platinum member

2wheels:

I'd agree that a ride on the trolley would be a major thing to do.

And, then, I'd get one of the good $5 maps and drive the whole area, if for no other reason than to get a feeling for how extensive TV has become (something like 12-15 miles from County Road 466-A at the south boundary to County Road 42 at the north). Venture into the various villages, to see how the older ones have grown up, how the newer ones have a way to go!

Visit both squares in the evening. Eat at a different restaurant every night. Do NOT think about how much money that might be! I'm inclined to suggest that you abandon the golf cart on this visit, as you do not want to waste time figuring out how to get from here to there - the golf cart paths are not necessarily the same as the automobile paths!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Veteran member

Kind of agree with most of these responses, every time we have newbies visit the one thing that they talk about is being able to do everything on a golf cart. Spend a few bucks and rent one. You won't be disappointed.
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Taltarzac

Check out the "Market Nights" on each Villages' square-- Lake Sumter Landing and the Villages Town Square. They alternate as far as I know during the week days (except Friday)--one night it is at Sumter Landing, the next at Spanish Springs.

See if you can get a kind Villager to show you around Katie Belle's.

The fictional history of the buildings in Lake Sumter Landing as told on the various wall plaques are also amusing. The theaters are quite nice too here in the Villages. The Old Mill Playhouse is quite fancy for a movie theater. It is in Sumter Landing.

The lakes around Sumter Landing are scenic.

Very easy to get lost the first few weeks in the Villages especially if you are in a car or truck. Less so in a golf cart but the Villages is now so big that it takes quite a while to get around here in a golf cart. I believe it would take you a few hours in a golf cart to get from its most northern golf cart paths to the most southern paths if that is even doable now?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Veteran member

Make sure to take the time to visit the Savannah Center, it is awesome, a few community centers, visit a couple of golf clubs, like the Arnold Palmer and Nancy Lopez. If you have hobbies, look at the scheduled activities and go visit some that interest you and even participate. Enjoy and just envision yourself living here for the rest of your life!!!

Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 08-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Veteran member

It's true that can't possibly see everything in a golf cart but to get a feel for the lifestyle, I would definitely do the golf cart. I was down for my lifestyle preview two weeks ago can't imagine not doing it. It's impossible to do or see it all in 5 or 6 days. I was there for 5 and I felt I only saw the tip of the iceberg. :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-31-2007, 08:19 PM

If you are interested in wood working visit the wood working shop. The people there were so friendly. They reallly made my wife and I feel welcome and at home.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Platinum member

All good advice. In addition to Savannah Center, I'd add Laurel Manor to the list. Not sure if I'd rent a golf cart over a car for a week's visit, but for $18 a day you can rent a golf cart for 2-3 days to get the "golf-car" experience. You'll find the week a real "people" experience. You're not going to find folks any friendlier anywhere. -George
Old 08-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

2wheels
Do exactly what SWRINFLA says....he hit the nail right on the head..be sure to buy the good $5.00 map as it will take you where ever you want to go and this place is big big.....you won't use your cart much on this visit.....good luck ....your gonna love it....
Old 09-01-2007, 03:38 AM

A BIG THANKS to all of you for your ideas. I think I'll copy this thread the day before we leave and take it with me (paper of course).

We are really excited about this trip to TV and we'll try to jam in all we can.

The Trolley tour is the 1st thing on the 1st day. Buy Map. The live music also at night (would have liked to see Rocky & the Rollers but they're not playing during our visit). And Yes, those club houses and rec centers were impressive looking in the video, we'll check those out as well.

6 days will not be enough...

We live in a 55+ community in a semi-rural area of Arizona and like to go out at night in the Golf cart to "hunt" the wild life. Any chance we would discover something interesting out there at night in TV? Gators? Or would the bugs just see us as good dinner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.