Side Striping Multi-Modal Paths

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2015, 07:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Hearsay. If there was a fatal accident, it would have been reported, and would have been taken into account in the engineering study. And supposing there had been one fatal accident, doesn't mean it was related to poor visibility. Suppose someone had took much to drink, tripped getting into their golf cart, fell off their golf cart and suffered a fatal head injury. Oh, and this happened at night. Would striping have prevented that accident? Of course not. You always need to look at each accident, take into account the circumstances, and then determine cause and effect, and possible mitigation. There probably are accidents that occur that are not reported, but we can't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on something that may or may not have happened without clearly identifying the cause of such accidents. Good engineering is made on actual data, not guesses.

On another note, people don't seem to realize that thermoplastic is an expensive proposition to install and maintain. And it can be a maintenance headache. The roadway surface has to be extremely dry before you put it down, otherwise it won't adhere well to the roadway surface. There are very exacting temperature and depth requirements regarding its application which affect durability and effectiveness of reflectivity. Given the humidity and rains we get here in Florida, and some of the construction practices I've seen here, I'm not confident that the contractors would get a good application down, and the lifespan will end up being shorter than the optimal one they are quoting us. It will look nice for a few years, but then it fades, starts coming up in small pieces, and frankly looks crummy. When they go to replace it, they'll probably go over the top of the previous lines. The lines won't line up exactly, so it will look worse the second time around. Additionally, when the put it down, it won't be right at the edge of pavement, it will be inset some which will decrease the width of the travel lane.

As a retired engineer, I think think the commissioners should heed the engineering report and vote against side striping at this time. A concerted effort should be made to keep track of all accidents on recreational trails, and keep those statistics for future reference. If, a few years down the road, it is found that the accident history justifies some sort of markings, install them at that time. At this point in time, the accident history does NOT justify pavement markings, certainly not thermoplastic.
Once again I ask, why would you want to act on facts , when we have perfectly good rumors, inuendo and conspiracy theories on which to base decisions?

Great post!!
Old 08-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I thought it was time for a "refresh".
We have been away for a few weeks and just recently returned.
So as I was driving the MMP I took particular note of the didtinctive difference between the black top main part of the path and the 6 or 8 inch inch cement side stripes.

How much more prominent can the edges of the MMP be than what is there now?

And if the side striping should happen to be done, where will the stripes go? On top of the cement edges? or inside the cement edges thus making the driving area that much smaller.

I have read there is a proposal to power wash the cement edges to "brighten them up for around $15,000.

That may appease some. There are those who will not rest until the striping is officially killed (or implemented....hopefully not).

There is sufficiently visible edge marking in place now. If it was mu decision I would clean up some of the places where the edges are overgrown. I would not power wash the other 40 miles as it will not be that significant.

There are more pressing projects the money could be applied to.

I know the current edging does not glow.....but that is not neccessay to see where it is. And as has been pointed out in a post some where, the tape or the paint after a few years in the sun will begin to look raggedy. There is evidence of this throughout TV.

Sometimes it is too easy to take a position from the keyboard....it is most convenient.
The next time you are out and about on your golf car, pay particular attention to the cement edging and how noteable it really is.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Instead of harping on about stripes, we should be looking into banking the turns for the more performance oriented golf carts. Look at the money we could all save on brakes.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Performance-oriented golf carts? Would those be the ones modified to go faster than the law allows?
Old 08-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Instead of harping on about stripes, we should be looking into banking the turns for the more performance oriented golf carts. Look at the money we could all save on brakes.
We could also have drag chute packs installed....

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
ask the families of the fatal cart accidents....and all the others who have had accidents largely unreported in the daily sun, that's all.
And exactly on what MM path was that fatal accident?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
cost, committee, advisory, moeller, peter, chairman, supervisor, cdd, email, serious, attention, $300, 000, guess, fellow, supervisors, wide, previously, silent, residents, numerous, striping, multi-modal, paths, “comments, summary

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.