Humming bird feeders?

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Veteran member
Default Humming bird feeders?

Thinking about putting up a humming bird feeder but not sure when I can expect humming birds around The Villages. Anyone have them out and seeing a lot of Humming birds?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

We hang our feeder in March. A lot depends on the weather when you see them.

Migration Basics
Old 12-07-2014, 04:18 PM

Since 2009, I've seen my first hummer of the year in March except for this year. This year on January 2nd there was a ruby throat nectaring on the red pentas outside my office window. It was there for quite a while so I had considerable time to watch it. I next saw it, or its relative, in March.

I now have plants that they like growing in areas I can view from the house, so I no longer hang a feeder.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Veteran member

ok thanks, march will give me some time to make humming bird nector, i don't work as fast as i used to.

Last edited by dadspet; 12-08-2014 at 12:03 AM. Reason: correction of post
Old 12-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
ok thanks, march will give me some time to make humming bird nector, i don't work as fast as i used to.
I buy the necter you simply mix with water because it should be changed about once a week as the feeder should be placed in the sun. It's so easy. I buy it at WalMart and it's very inexpensive.

OR -- perhaps you just enjoy making it yourself.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Anyone see Humming birds yet. I put out my feeder a few weeks ago and haven't seen any as of 4/1/?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:58 PM

The hummingbirds arrived last week. Our first was on Thursday.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

OR -- perhaps you just enjoy making it yourself. [/B]

2 cups boiling water, 1 cup sugar, couple drops of red dye. Mix while water is hot. Spray top of feeder with Pam to keep ants off. We leave it out until empty.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-01-2015, 01:42 PM

It's best not to add red dye to the mixture. There is controvery as to whether or not the dye harms the hummers; no conclusive evidence that I've read of but to be safe, omit it. Nectar in flowers is not red. The colorful feeder itself will attract the hummer.

The generally accepted ratio of water to table sugar is 4:1. For example, with 1 cup of water, use ¼ cup sugar. This most closely minics natural nectar. “Sweeter” formulas spoil faster.

It seems convenient to fill the feeder to the brim and forget about it until it's empty, but the sugary formula will quickly spoil in our heat. Better to put a lesser amount in, dump and clean the feeder 1-2 times per week, and then refill.

I've read that hummers won't eat the spoiled nectar (just as we humans won't eat a moldy sandwich). The “empty” feeder may be the result of evaporation.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
It's best not to add red dye to the mixture. There is controvery as to whether or not the dye harms the hummers; no conclusive evidence that I've read of but to be safe, omit it. Nectar in flowers is not red. The colorful feeder itself will attract the hummer.

The generally accepted ratio of water to table sugar is 4:1. For example, with 1 cup of water, use ¼ cup sugar. This most closely minics natural nectar. “Sweeter” formulas spoil faster.

It seems convenient to fill the feeder to the brim and forget about it until it's empty, but the sugary formula will quickly spoil in our heat. Better to put a lesser amount in, dump and clean the feeder 1-2 times per week, and then refill.

I've read that hummers won't eat the spoiled nectar (just as we humans won't eat a moldy sandwich). The “empty” feeder may be the result of evaporation.

Juneroses you are absolutely correct on your post. If I make to much 4/1 mixture I store it in the fridge - replace or replenish several times a week - and always thoroughly clean all 3 feeders. They don't need the dye to be attracted and it is potentially harmful.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Veteran member

the birds do not need the food coloring....
Old 04-01-2015, 07:12 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

We enjoyed dozens of hummingbirds up North...when we moved down here we were a bit bummed that they were not as prevalent. however, we have seen many hummingbirds at Pear Park in Leesburg, and my wife saw one in our front yard today.
She mixed a batch of nectar and hung out our best feeder......hopefully we will attract more....

Frank
Old 04-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran member
Default 1st one today

Saw my first one today! WOW
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.