"Significantly more homes in Wildwood"

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Default New Village Houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
The purchase and development of this small parcel of land by TV makes sense. It's practically surrounded by TV now. I remember "hearing" that TV attempted to buy it years ago, but the owner either didn't want to sell or wanted too much money. If TV had been able to purchase it back then, it would have had homes on it 4 or 5 years ago when they built Tamarind Grove, Buttonwood, etc. Just a couple of years ago it was rezoned from Agricultural to Mixed Use and there were plans floated for another developer to put in commercial, medical and residential units. I remember seeing concept drawings of that development posted here on TOTV. I don't know why that fell through, and maybe it's still on the table. After all, Wildwood hasn't even agreed to letting TV purchase the property yet. But as many other people have already stated, something will eventually go there.
These wide open large areas next to Sand Hill and north of 466A currently have Village houses bordering everywhere with the exception of the Tamerin Grove postal station. Just wondering how this area wd be golf cart accessible ? A new 466A tunnel or path up sandhill to turtle mound tunnel?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
These wide open large areas next to Sand Hill and north of 466A currently have Village houses bordering everywhere with the exception of the Tamerin Grove postal station. Just wondering how this area wd be golf cart accessible ? A new 466A tunnel or path up sandhill to turtle mound tunnel?
I am guessing that an "AT GRADE" crossing of 466a at Powell or Pinellas will be the solution for golf cart crossing. In either case, IMHO, changes should be made to the existing streets in Pinellas Plaza to handle all of the additional golf carts.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
That's a good question. Perhaps there is room to exit to the north onto Tamarind Grove Run just west of the Tamarind Grove pool. And/or, as you stated, a MM path along the north side of 466a and bring it around the corner at Buena Vista Blvd where it could link up to the MM path that runs north along Buena Vista or through the tunnel to Turtle Mound. Another tunnel under 466a would be great, but I'm sure they would still need a way for golf cart traffic to stay on the north side of 466a.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to janetssmith

Is the new Wildwood addition going to be family housing? Like for The Villages employees?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetssmith View Post
Is the new Wildwood addition going to be family housing? Like for The Villages employees?
If so, it could not then be part of The Villages. The Villages is exclusively an age-restricted retirement community. There are developments in the area that can accommodate families, but they are completely unique.

The contemplated expansion under discussion here would be part of The Villages.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:57 PM
Veteran member

I have a dumb question - if it is the 466A and Powell section - Google earth shows there are at least 5 and maybe up to 7 houses already in that area - I assume this has happened before. What happens to those houses if the Villages buys the rest of the land???
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 03-28-2015, 10:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I have a dumb question - if it is the 466A and Powell section - Google earth shows there are at least 5 and maybe up to 7 houses already in that area - I assume this has happened before. What happens to those houses if the Villages buys the rest of the land???

If you look at this photo (which was posted on the online news site), just below the far right/bottom corner of the red box you can see the Tamarind Grove neighborhood pool. The land within the red "L" shaped box is the area that we are discussing. It is open pasture land and it doesn't contain (to my best recollection) any occupied homes. The major road that you can see on the far right of this photo is Powell Rd/CR462. The land between Powell /462 and the "red box" area does not appear (at least for now) to be part of the of the expansion discussion.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	49632  
Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

As I drive from Buena Vista towards Powell, I counted at least 3-4 houses along 466a. Did not pay attention if they are occupied, as I was driving.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
As I drive from Buena Vista towards Powell, I counted at least 3-4 houses along 466a. Did not pay attention if they are occupied, as I was driving.
occupied or not they will be gone
Old 03-29-2015, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

It looks to be a small village doesn't matter how many houses putting on it but can't be that many.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:41 AM
Sage

Right now speculation has the area at about 200 acres. Take out 40 for an exec golf course, and you still have space for 500 +- homes.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Totally agree.

"Without any stops"? Highly debatable, especially during the peak season.

You're right, they could have been. And if they had been, it would have been a huge mistake. They're arterial/collector/distributor roads that are designed appropriately to serve their purpose...not state roads designed to take traffic long distances at high speeds. Like you said, you can't compare 441 to Morse and BV. There are reasons for that. Good reasons.

Here's the biggest flaw in your post...roundabouts facilitate the smooth flow of traffic. It has been documented in more than one traffic study. Stopping at every intersection where there is now a roundabout would increase travel times and congestion. Almost every aspect of traffic flow would be worse. And yes...let's do talk about gas consumption...it would be dramatically increased with stop signs or traffic signals.

Again, one thing we can agree upon.
Yes, if you drive out of the Lady Lake area on 441, there are many areas on 441, north and south, where you can drive without stops, and even above 45 mph.

What you called "the biggest flaw in my post," is not a flaw at all, if you think about it. If the main arteries (Morse and Buena Vista) went straight through (no circles) and had a few traffic lights at high traffic intersections, the only other stop you might have would be the stop coming out of your own Village. That would facilitate traffic. I never said anything about stopping at every intersection where the circles are. That would be awful.

Well, nothing's going to change but it feels good to vent!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Veteran member

We live south of 466a and find the traffic isn't at all bad compared to more northern regions by SUMTER LANDING AND SS. Actually what I think will happen is the southern expansion of the territories will probably affect those established settlements even more. ( Lewis and Clark expedition ). Sorry but I have to get back to my Taxes and stop this posting.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.