Opinions on garage expansion

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Opinions on garage expansion

This garage has caused a major upheaval in the neighborhood after receiving ARC approval, and upwards of 200 neighbors have signed a complaint according to the online news. Landscaping has yet to be completed.

Would it bother you to have it in your neighborhood? It's a corner lot and the garage doesn't seem to be looming over a direct neighbor. I don't understand the fuss myself. It's preferable to me than leaving multiple cars in the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	garage.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	79915  
Old 06-18-2019, 03:04 PM
Platinum member

Add some trees and it will blend in.

The ARC approved the garage before it was built. It is a done deal, so too late to object.

I hope that the owner built it with “good intentions”, and not to store vehicles in it for profit. As I understand, he does not live in the house. Kind of a strange situation.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 PM
Sage

Haven't driven by it but by the photos it looks fine to me. I think "some" folks have way too much time on their hands and complain way too much about what bothers them. IF it went to ARC and was o.k.'d then so be it. It's not like they painted the house lavender with green trim.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

As long as they don’t start a golf cart sale etc out of it..... Some people need the extra storage since there is no basement. It’s hard to tell from the photo, does it look really ugly?
Old 06-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

As far as I'm concerned...it's much ado about nothing.

It blends right in and once some landscaping is done, most people driving by...probably won't even notice it.

In fact, in the long run (if/when it's sold)...it may help the comps on other houses in the neighborhood.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Since it fits my ideal "Garage with an attached home" dream, I love it :-)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
As far as I'm concerned...it's much ado about nothing.

It blends right in and once some landscaping is done, most people driving by...probably won't even notice it.

In fact, in the long run (if/when it's sold)...it may help the comps on other houses in the neighborhood.
Agree, if it's not impeding on anyones property then whats the big deal? We sure do wish we could have more garage space, but the boundary offset requirements don't make it possible. As long as they followed the deed restrictions, don't have a rock and roll band practicing in the garage, or are not running a golf cart chop shop, let it go.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:57 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

So 200 neighbors want to tell another neighbor what they can and can't do with property they bought and paid for and are following all the rules everyone agreed to when they bought.

People want to do what they want with their property and also tell others what they can and can't do with theirs. Get real folks. With 200 of you, buy the place and tear it down if it bothers you that much.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
So 200 neighbors want to tell another neighbor what they can and can't do with property they bought and paid for and are following all the rules everyone agreed to when they bought.

People want to do what they want with their property and also tell others what they can and can't do with theirs. Get real folks. With 200 of you, buy the place and tear it down if it bothers you that much.
Well said.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Don’t live there but it appears the homeowner has followed all the rules, convenants, deed restrictions and is ARC approved so the neighbors should move on regarding the construction addition. If the homeowner later runs a business out of the home and that can be proven, then file an anonymous complaint. Isn’t this a great country or what?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:24 AM

In my opinion, since the ARC has blessed the building of the garage...leave it alone. The garage does not appear to be unappealing in any way. Kuddos to the homeowner for standing up to his bully neighbors!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:

This is a little harsh. The neighbors believe that it does not fit well in the neighborhood. Harmony amoung the dwellings is an important part of our deed restrictions. ARC does consider that.

Having said that, I agree that they are too late. It was approved, and now it is built. The solution would be to monitor the ARC agenda, look for aplications for properties near you, and show up at the meeting to give your statement. Of course, who does that?
Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:

I agree.............put your $$$ where your mouth is, purchase the property and remove the garages.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I agree.............put your $$$ where your mouth is, purchase the property and remove the garages.
And be prepared to spend mega$$$$$ for a lawyer, a demolition permit, an environmental impact study, and a company to haul it all away.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
And be prepared to spend mega$$$$$ for a lawyer, a demolition permit, an environmental impact study, and a company to haul it all away.

Or a gallon of gas and a match.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, neighborhood, lot, looming, corner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.