Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Gold member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer in Sanibel View Post
Could it have been this one?

Sinkhole near Cane Garden
Wow!!! You should work for the Daily Sun!!!! hehehe Really, thanks for picture.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulence View Post
Let's just say that it's true. It is my understanding that the Insurance companies are no longer writing sink hole insurance in Florida. If this is the case, and you buy a new home without the sink hole insurance - then I would assume you would be liable to have the sink hole fixed on your own.

What if you did not have the 200 grand (or even half of that amount) available, so you could have the hole filled??? Then what??? I feel certain that the developer would not be happy w/a sink hole left unfixed for all to see. It presents real problems and unanswered questions for me and I am sure for others as well.

Does anyone on the list have some factual information in such a case? We have some very well informed members & I am hoping they have answers to this worse case scenario.

Betty
I bought my homeowners insurance in March. I got the sinkhole coverage for $86.00 per year for a $250,000 home. I believe it has a 2% deductible.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Location: Originally from PA, lived in South Jersey & presently in VA

Quote:
I bought my homeowners insurance in March. I got the sinkhole coverage for $86.00 per year for a $250,000 home. I believe it has a 2% deductible.
Thank you for that information. Would you mind sharing the name of Insurance Company?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
It IS a sinkhole, cement trucks have been there for many days on end. The house in on a curve on Buttonwood Run. That corner was hazardous to begin with (drivers taking the easy way around the bend) Buttonwood Run is now even more of a challenge as the Contractor vehicals and cement trucks parked in front of the house have made it a one lane bend. There are no details, as everyone is very tight lipped about it, but this is the second "event" at the same house......
It is not a "second event" at the same house, it is the second phase of the work that was started back in the fall...
Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 PM

We were here late last August and visited friends almost across from this house. I noticed at the time it was wrapped in yellow tape and our friend said it was a sinkhole problem.
Bought in Buttonwood in the fall and have not noticed anything until Tuesday or Wednesday when I walked by. Also noticed the ' open house' next door was cancelled (bad timing).
Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Could it have been this one?

Sinkhole near Cane Garden
The one near Cane Garden is not the same one. The one being discussed now is in Buttonwood.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
The one near Cane Garden is not the same one. The one being discussed now is in Buttonwood.
Thanks for clarifying this for me. You may be interested in seeing this;

Sinkhole losses have been on the rise the last few years in Florida. According to a report by the state, 211 property insurers responded that claims increased from 2,360 in 2006 to 6,694 in 2010, totaling 24,671 claims. The total dollar amount of those claims was approximately $1.4 billion.

RiskMeter’s Top 10 Sinkhole-Prone Counties in Florida are:

Pasco
Hernando
Hillsborough
Marion
Pinellas
Citrus
Polk
Orange
Seminole
Lake

I found it at this website;

Florida's Top 10 Sinkhole-Prone Counties
Old 05-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulence View Post
Skybo, the following link is an excellent example of what you have just described & what I was trying to convery in my original message. This link was recently given in the Non Village Discussion thread & I hope the original poster does not mind my using it here:

Massive sinkhole opens up behind Windermere home

Homeowners nervously watching sinkhole behind Windermere home

They are calling this a sinkhole and since the home is not invloved (at least so far) I expect it would not be covered by the catastrophic ground collapse inclusion in an insurance policy. They say that sinkhole is now 100 X 100 and 50 feet deep & growing. Who could afford to fill that!

Betty
We just saw that sinkhole in Windemere which is not far from Orlando and about one hour from THE VILLAGES.

Diane Sawyer covered it on ABC Evening News just a few minutes ago........so we mapped it.

It was HUGE. Again, food for thought.

Neighbors of the involved property owners were also moving out.........as were the family whose backyard the sinkhole was in. Authorities said it was very dangerous.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 PM

I talked to the owner of the sink hole near Cane Garden, pictured at the beginning of this thread. The electric meter was pulled and the gas was turned off. The insurance company sent inspectors, received several bids, then determined it would cost too much to fix. The insurance company paid the owner a lump sum. The owner then sold the property to a company that fixes sink holes. The purchaser intends to repair the sink hole and rent the house in the future.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.