Sinkhole in Calumet Grove

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2018, 03:13 PM
Veteran member

i have seen pot holes in jersey bigger than any sink hole in florida.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:16 PM

we got to put more sugar in that KOOLAIDE we are drinking, feel for these folks homes that will never be the same, and the property values will drop for a period of time till fresh meat come looking for homes. This is my worst fear that will happen in our neighborhood.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsi View Post
we got to put more sugar in that KOOLAIDE we are drinking, feel for these folks homes that will never be the same, and the property values will drop for a period of time till fresh meat come looking for homes. This is my worst fear that will happen in our neighborhood.
Is it required by law in Florida to disclose that a sinkhole had occurred and been repaired on a property sale ?
Old 02-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Is it required by law in Florida to disclose that a sinkhole had occurred and been repaired on a property sale ?
Yes

6. Sinkholes: Note: When an insurance claim for sinkhole damage has been made by the seller and paid by the insurer, Section 627.7073(2)(c), Florida Statutes, requires the seller to disclose to the buyer that a claim was paid and whether or not the full amount paid was used to repair the sinkhole damage. (a) Does past or present settling, soil movement, or sinkhole(s) affect the Property or adjacent properties?    (b) Has any insurance claim for sinkhole damage been made?    (c) If any insurance claim for sinkhole damage was made, was the claim paid?    (d) If any insurance claim for sinkhole damage was paid, were all the proceeds used to repair the damage?    (e) If any answer to questions 6(a) - 6(c) is yes or the answer to question 6(d) is no, please explain
Old 02-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Yes

6. Sinkholes: Note: When an insurance claim for sinkhole damage has been made by the seller and paid by the insurer, Section 627.7073(2)(c), Florida Statutes, requires the seller to disclose to the buyer that a claim was paid and whether or not the full amount paid was used to repair the sinkhole damage. (a) Does past or present settling, soil movement, or sinkhole(s) affect the Property or adjacent properties?    (b) Has any insurance claim for sinkhole damage been made?    (c) If any insurance claim for sinkhole damage was made, was the claim paid?    (d) If any insurance claim for sinkhole damage was paid, were all the proceeds used to repair the damage?    (e) If any answer to questions 6(a) - 6(c) is yes or the answer to question 6(d) is no, please explain
Thanks for the info. Given this disclosure is required how much does it affect the sellability / value of a home ?
Old 02-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Sage

I think disclosure would need to be made, regardless of an insurance claim, otherwise the seller could be sued.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Given this disclosure is required how much does it affect the sellability / value of a home ?
I have looked at sinkhole repaired homes in TV, price was significantly less than similar homes nearby.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:29 PM
fw102807

This is so sad. I can imagine how horrible it must be being told to evacuate their home.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There are sinkholes in Florida. It is no one's fault. People are hired to fix them. It is not a conspiracy. You can call them sinkholes and you can call them depressions. They scare the hell out of people and they look for someone to blame. It is not the overuse of water or the water table going down. We live in an area that has sinkholes. It is far worse near Tampa, but the South Central part of Florida has sinkholes.

sinkhole map of florida. - Bing images
Conspiracy! WT!

Please, where is my post say I was looking for someone to blame. Sinkholes can be cause by other man made cause like water run off settling In low area, storm drains, water mains, and underground piping leaking saturating the soil and tunneling to underground cavity. Happens all over the world natural and man made.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

from Village News

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 02-15-2018, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Just saw it on the Evening News. Two homes have been condemned and the third ordered to evacuate. I feel so sad for these people and bad for the people who are scared.

Thank goodness no one was hurt.

California has earthquakes and we have sinkholes.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
for the VCCCD to come out and say this is wrong these are MUCH more than a depression... they are SINK HOLES
After seeing the aerial shots...it's looking like a 'gaping maw.'
Old 02-15-2018, 07:02 PM
Sage

Are there some areas in The Villages more prone to sink holes than others ? If so Why ?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Are there some areas in The Villages more prone to sink holes than others ? If so Why ?
I would think so. I believe maps exist of past sinkhole activity. They are naturally occurring as well as induced by human water usage. Some areas must be sinkhole prone due to landfill and perhaps long term irrigation and/or the water table lowering.

As for earthquakes I believe the Mission District of San Francisco suffers more than other nearby areas from earthquakes as it is built on landfill and responds as a liquid to the tremors.

Personally, I avoid purchasing structures built on landfill anywhere.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-15-2018, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I think it fair to say that I can remember more sinkhole's near ponds and I can only guess that the enormous weight of water may enter into it. Just me musing.

We usually have a sinkhole after a long dry spell and several inches of rain in a short period of time.

I am sick of the Kool-Aid posts. Some of us love it here quite genuinely and try to dispel rumors and gossip. Some of us were born to bloom wherever we are planted. And some of us love to stir the pot.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.