Sinkhole in Calumet Grove

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think it fair to say that I can remember more sinkhole's near ponds and I can only guess that the enormous weight of water may enter into it. Just me musing.

We usually have a sinkhole after a long dry spell and several inches of rain in a short period of time.

I am sick of the Kool-Aid posts. Some of us love it here quite genuinely and try to dispel rumors and gossip. Some of us were born to bloom wherever we are planted. And some of us love to stir the pot.
Yes, wherever one resides one assumes risk, whether it be sinkholes, earthquakes, crime, terrorists, hurricanes, tsunamis...the list goes on.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Both holes 8 and 9 on Torri Pines have been closed. I really feel sad for the residents of those homes declared uninhabitable.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

RiskMeter’s Top 10 Sinkhole-Prone Counties in Florida are:

1 Pasco
2 Hernando
3 Hillsborough
4 Marion
5 Pinellas
6 Citrus
7 Polk
8 Orange
9 Seminole
10 Lake

Data from this 2011 article in Insurance Journal -> Florida’s Top 10 Sinkhole-Prone Counties
Old 02-15-2018, 09:37 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Some of the highest priced property in the country is in San Francisco and there could be a catastrophic earthquake there at anytime. So we have a few sinkholes in Central Florida, so what?

That said, even with sinkhole Insurance it can be costly with a 10% deductible. My best to all the residents affected.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:11 PM

Still don't know why The village, does not have a bank sponsored sink hole pool...Home owners pay an annual $100.00 to a bank fund that pays out to have any Village sink hole filled, house made whole..No deducts, if's, or whereas..This, better than feeling sorry, prayers, lighting candles for the victims...Please, I have heard all the nay sayers...Next sink hole could be yours (I hope not).
Old 02-15-2018, 10:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagevip View Post
Still don't know why The village, does not have a bank sponsored sink hole pool...Home owners pay an annual $100.00 to a bank fund that pays out to have any Village sink hole filled, house made whole..No deducts, if's, or whereas..This, better than feeling sorry, prayers, lighting candles for the victims...Please, I have heard all the nay sayers...Next sink hole could be yours (I hope not).

Because, shining a light onto an event that could possibly swallow you into the earth
is not good for home sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Gold member
Default Sinkhole video from newscast

Video: Several sinkholes open in The Villages, threatening two homes - YouTube

I hope everything turns out okay for these people.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Scary stuff, hoping all the effected Villages residents make it through this OK and that their homes are not damaged.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think it fair to say that I can remember more sinkhole's near ponds and I can only guess that the enormous weight of water may enter into it. Just me musing.

We usually have a sinkhole after a long dry spell and several inches of rain in a short period of time.

I am sick of the Kool-Aid posts. Some of us love it here quite genuinely and try to dispel rumors and gossip. Some of us were born to bloom wherever we are planted. And some of us love to stir the pot.

"Some try to twist the facts". the fact is don't know what caused the sink hole in middle of mild dry spell. Can't help to notice that the sinkhole's are in line and looked like tunneling. Something causes the earth to collapse into cavern below, which it hasn't rained in while so the heavy rain theory is suspect.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Wow that is some crack on the front of the house in the news video. Can't imagine what that sounded or felt like in bed at 3 AM. Engineering wise for earthquake construction the first rule of thumb is structures should be tough, able to deflect and deform a considerable amount. The flexibility hedges against collapse. The house in the video appears to be a block house. I wonder if a stick built house is more flexible and would have less damage.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:48 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

From the unmentionable online news the sinkholes have doubled from three to six which some may consider a calamity in Calumet Grove!

From the photos the homes look beautiful. I really feel for the affected homeowners.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 02-16-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:07 PM

I share the same feeling as others i.e. feeling bad for the homeowners. I know that one of the homes affected the folks who purchased it have been there for less than a year. I can’t imagine buying what was probably a dream home, then to have this happen.

In December 2015 we owned a home in Oak Run that’s off SR 200 in Ocala there was a huge sink hole that formed approximately one tenth of a mile away from our house there. It took weeks for it to be repaired but it was the home has since been resold. Below is a link to the story, but the sink hole in Calumet is small compared to the one that was in Oak Run. We had other reasons to sell the home and it had nothing to do with the sink hole.

Massive Sinkhole Threatens to Swallow Homes in Florida Neighborhood - ABC News
Old 02-16-2018, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Picture of the homes and golf course where the sink holes are;

6 Sinkholes open up in the Villages

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-16-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

This is very scary. I feel so bad for the affected people.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
PLEASE.... I'm trying to enjoy this movie. Stop yelling FIRE!

From The District Web Site: (That few read)

Depressons along McLawren Street
Due to the depressions along McLawren Street and adjacent to two houses, the roadway near McLawren Street and McAlpin Street within the Village of Calumet Grove, and the 8th and 9th holes of the Torri Pine Golf Course may be closed intermittently. Public safety professionals are currently evaluating and addressing the safety impacts to the general public. Motorists, pedestrians, cyclists and golf cart users are asked to avoid this area and pay attention to all directional and informational signage. For further information, please contact the District Customer Service Center at (352) 753-4508.
And they still haven't updated their story. 30 foot deep sinkholes are some mighty big depressions ! Maybe that is why few read their website

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.