Sinkhole in Calumet Grove

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
And they still haven't updated their story. 30 foot deep sinkholes are some mighty big depressions ! Maybe that is why few read their website
Here is what will happen...probably, There will be a company that does such things pour "grout" into the hole. My guess "grout" is a good deal like concrete. If the home has been condemned (too risky to inhabit) then the insurance will cover the costs.

There are some that say that a repaired sinkhole is probably safe, maybe safer than what is unknown.

There was a big mess some years ago where many Florida homeowners used sinkhole insurance fraudulently for cracks and settling that was not due to sinkholes and it burdened the insurance companies to the point that sinkhole insurance was no longer offered. That has since changed.

This is at least my summary of what I have heard and remembered. Sinkholes are scary. Rumors abound.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-18-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Sometime ago in TV while building new houses a sinkhole happened. Ground was pinned and house sold along with others on street. Do not remember which street.

Of course not any worse then friends who the moving truck had finished unloading cars and all, they went out to dinner, storm blew in, lightning occurred, stuck their house they owned for 2 days and it burned to the ground. Nothing left.

Nature happens, when it does you work thru it, start over. While not fair, you can not worry about things you can not change
Old 02-18-2018, 08:55 PM

I was ready to buy a newly built home on Image Court when the salesperson informed us that there was a "disclosure" issued for the property. Apparently a "depression" that required 300 cubic yards of grout to fill it had shown up in the intersection in front of the driveway where Memory Lane meets Image. After reading the Engineering Report we decided to continue looking and eventually bought on Ivawood Way. A few months after we moved in and I was looking at a map, I realized we were only 150 yards away from Image Court! There were "depressions" on Hillsborough Trail around the same time.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:27 PM
Gold member

the new station that reported this showed a sheriffs video of the sink hole expanding right before his eyes and he caught it all on video..... not the same one as shown by a previous poster. I saw it from the others villages new sight and it is also on youtube.

amazingly terrifying to witness in person...and see on video....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.