Sinkhole Just Opened Up 5/21/18

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2018, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
What's flooded? I might have missed that...
I was simply going by what YOU said ("washouts")...

Quote:
It was reported today that engineers and district officials are saying "they are not" sinkholes but rather washouts.
Flood Coverage vs Water Damage – What’s the difference? - AISinsured.com

Quote:
Flood coverage is also for any type of flooding event including a water main break, swimming pool collapses and floods your home, blocked culverts back up water into your home, drains, etc.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 AM

This is near the Villages VA clinic and that Publix.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
This is near the Villages VA clinic and that Publix.
Pretty far from there, but too west of Lopez country club off calumet Ave. behind the postal station.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Default Does anyone understand this

Sink hole is the surface collapsing into a void. A void? It can't suddenly happen in one rain. If, it was always a void that fails would it not have shown up with geological tests-RADAR-SONAR?
Oh, and I BELIEVE, it is a permanent record and would reduce the value of your home. When, we bought our home, we were offered an other, ALSO NEW, place when the ssales lady TOLD US, the property had a restored sink hole. If, I recall it was offered at about 10% less.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Many above are fear motivated posts.

I understand that, most of us fear sinkholes, and some want to blame someone..

Why Do Sinkholes Form in Florida? | WUSF News

map of sinkholes in florida - Bing

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-23-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 AM

It was this close to the VA. That is close IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 8.44.44 AM.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	75155  
Old 05-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Although sinkholes are naturally occurring in areas of Karst topography. Karst - Wikipedia, even in desert areas https://geoinfo.nmt.edu/publications.../em_v16_n1.pdf

they can be possibly be created by companies which draw large amounts of water from underground. Experts warn of risk of sinkhole in popular New Mexico area - KVIA

One just occurred on the White House lawn. Sinkhole engulfs lawn outside White House press briefing room - NY Daily News

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-23-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Although sinkholes are naturally occurring in areas of Karst topography. Karst - Wikipedia, even in desert areas https://geoinfo.nmt.edu/publications.../em_v16_n1.pdf

they can be possibly be created by companies which draw large amounts of water from underground. Experts warn of risk of sinkhole in popular New Mexico area - KVIA

One just occurred on the White House lawn. Sinkhole engulfs lawn outside White House press briefing room - NY Daily News
I think that if sinkholes are something really troubling, really frightening to people they shouldn't move to Florida. I don't think we can DO anything to prevent them and I don't see that anyone is to blame.

http://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/wh...s-form-florida
Old 05-23-2018, 11:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think that if sinkholes are something really troubling, really frightening to people they shouldn't move to Florida. I don't think we can DO anything to prevent them and I don't see anyone is to blame.

I think I would much rather live with potential sinkhole issues and hurricane threats than on an island which is the top of a volcano! Hawaii volcano: Lava flows from Kilauea reach edge of power plant

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't think we can DO anything to prevent them and I don't see that anyone is to blame.
Do any human activities induce sinkholes?

Sure. Sometimes in karst areas [irregular landscapes formed when soluble rocks like limestone dissolve], when you drill a well—looking for water or for mining purposes—as you're pulling water out of the ground, you're lowering the groundwater table. That creates almost a toilet-flushing effect. You're lowering that groundwater level, and the soil that was sitting above just falls out. That's one way.

We also induce sinkholes when we start putting up parking lots and buildings and changing what we call the hydrologic regime. Instead of the water naturally soaking into the ground, it's now running off and being concentrated—being put into the ground at one point. (See "Guatemala Sinkholes Created by Humans, Not Nature.")

From. Why Sinkholes Open Up

4-Health Springs -- impacts of land use in a karst region

Health Springs serves as one of many examples where land-use activities in a karst terrane affect ground-water quality. The region contains coastal springs and karst uplands that are characterized by internal drainage and variable confinement between the surficial aquifer system and the Upper Floridan aquifer (fig. 9). Land use upgradient of the spring was used historically for citrus agriculture but at present includes an extensive golf course, a wastewater treatment facility, and residential and commercial properties. Activities at the wastewater treatment plant have included land application of dried sludge, spray irrigation and ponding of treated effluent. The site is presently planned for a county park; however, elevated nutrient and bacteria concentrations in the spring discharge have delayed this action.

Figure 9. - Sinkholes provide a direct hydrologic link between karst uplands and Health Springs along the coast.
Figure 9. - Sinkholes provide a direct hydrologic link between karst uplands and Health Springs along the coast (from Tihansky, 1999).
In April 1988, several cover-collapse sinkholes developed in an area where effluent from a wastewater treatment plant is sprayed for irrigation. Ponding of the effluent occurred while water levels were at their seasonal low. The maximum seasonal head difference combined with surface loading likely contributed to the formation of several sinkholes which drained the effluent into the ground-water system. Within several days of sinkhole formation, discharge at Health Springs, 2,500 ft downgradient, increased from 2 ft3/sec to 16 ft3/sec (Trommer 1992). A dye-tracer study confirmed the existence of a preferential ground-water flow path linking the upland spray field with the spring (Tihansky and Trommer, 1994). Dye injected into a well located in the sprayfield was detected in the spring water and in a well adjacent to the spring (fig. 10). Ground-water velocity was about 160 ft per day (ft/d) which is 250 times greater than estimates of the regional ground-water velocity (0.65 ft/d) in this area.
Background nitrate concentrations for ground water in Florida generally are less than 0.02 milligrams per liter (mg/L). Water samples collected at Health Springs since 1982 have nitrate concentrations ranging from 2 to more than 10 mg/L. These elevated values reflect the impact of land use in the spring's recharge area.

From Karst Features and Hydrogeology in West-central Florida-A Field Perspective

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-23-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,452 Posts

Quote:
It was reported today that engineers and district officials are saying "they are not" sinkholes but rather washouts. That made me wonder, is that a good thing or bad thing? for the homeowners with respect to an insurance claim.
Yes there are lots of many man made washouts (rotted drainages pipes which have static pressure form water weight in the pond are man made which saturate underground till it reaches cavity and collapse) that natural sinkholes are scapegoated all my opinion of course? And I can have an opinion
Old 05-23-2018, 08:06 PM
Gold member

I just got a text from my brother-in-law in Arizona asking if we were all OK. Apparently, NBC National News carried a story on this today and , who could have guessed, made it sound like the whole Villages was being consumed and that some big lake here was emptied.Expect calls to come in from your relatives.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Yes there are lots of many man made washouts (rotted drainages pipes which have static pressure form water weight in the pond are man made which saturate underground till it reaches cavity and collapse) that natural sinkholes are scapegoated all my opinion of course? And I can have an opinion
I don't think PVC pipe rots. PVC has been used in Florida since 1975.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
It was this close to the VA. That is close IMHO.

You need to get your facts straight. Your map is wrong, sinkhole was on McLawren not McAlpin. That's about 1.5 to 2 miles from the VA Hospital.

Here is a map from 2017 of reported sinkholes in the Villages. Zoom in and look for the yellow dots.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...-2017-0718-pdf

It shows 9 sinkholes north of 466, 15 sinkholes between 466 and 466A, and 3 sinkholes south of 466A. They happen all over the place and most likely your home is within 1 to 2 miles of where one has happened. Not that scary unless it happens next door.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I agree, and I know washouts don't necessarily equate with flooding. In my opinion, I think the engineers and districts put the affected homeowners behind the eight ball with their insurance companies by calling them washouts, and not sinkholes. Fingers crossed for the home owners.
Closed Thread

Tags
make, happen, rain, opened, 5/21/18

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.