That Sinking Feeling

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Default That Sinking Feeling

Do some counties have more sink holes than others? ???
Old 07-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: That Sinking Feeling

More questions on sinkholes. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

What happens if there is one on your property? Can they be fixed? Who fixes it and who pays for the fix? Who pays for the damages to the structure, landscaping, and/or personal property? Is there insurance coverage that will cover all costs and if yes, how much does the insurance cost?

THANKS for any guidance you can provide!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:01 PM

I believe Florida is known for having sinkholes and yes Florida requires insurance companies to provide coverage for them. My policy reads sinkhole loss meaning structrual damage to the building, including the foundation caused by sinkhole activity. Contents coverage shall apply only if there is structural damage to the building caused by sinkhole activity. I'm not sure if it would cover landscaping but I wouldn't think so. Before we purchased I found a government geological website and thought buying in Sumter County was better for sinkholes. Guess what, three homes within a few blocks of ours have had sinkholes form under them. We witnessed truck after truck for days bringing in cement to put under the homes. There are engineers that specialize in this type of problem but hopefully we will never have to deal with one of them.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Sage

Happy Villager... what neighborhood do you live in? I haven't read or heard any reports in the past year of sinkholes in residents' lots. Just curious. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 AM

Is there someplace that keeps an offical report on sinkholes in TV be it at a residence, pond or road area? I have only read newpaper reporting the latter. I'd rather let the homeowner's that had the problem report where they live.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Sinkholes occur everywhere in Florida because most of the state is a Karst topography. The Central FL region's high concentration of lakes are related either directly or indirectly to sinkhole activity and solution cavity formation. Although that being the case, it is still unlikely that most people will have an issue with them. Here's a link to the My Florida - Florida Geological Survey website that should address most of your questions. Also, Google "Florida Sinkholes" or "Florida Karst" and a wealth of info returns on that search. Have no fear.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/g...s/sinkhole.htm
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 07-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

THANKS for the link JohnZ! :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-25-2007, 11:25 AM

"Sinks Happen?" Here's more discussion of the subject of sink holes. Don't think anyone every figured out how to avoid the possibility! :dontknow:
Old 08-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Platinum member

2 1/2 years ago we were seriously looking in the Springhill area. They are quite prevalent in that area. TV will be the next move sinkholes or not. There's another link below.

Steve
http://www.geoscaninc.com/index.asp?action=page&name=4
Old 12-09-2007, 03:36 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

In addition to the prevalence of lakes and Karsitic soil which is extremely porous all the new excavation & construction mess up the water table. It's simple...... when water drains from a porous cavity said cavity dries out then can cave in thus you have a sink hole. Which means they happen all over Florida. Drought doesn't help either.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:18 AM
Sage

Are you in Winifred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Villager
I believe Florida is known for having sinkholes and yes Florida requires insurance companies to provide coverage for them. My policy reads sinkhole loss meaning structrual damage to the building, including the foundation caused by sinkhole activity. Contents coverage shall apply only if there is structural damage to the building caused by sinkhole activity. I'm not sure if it would cover landscaping but I wouldn't think so. Before we purchased I found a government geological website and thought buying in Sumter County was better for sinkholes. Guess what, three homes within a few blocks of ours have had sinkholes form under them. We witnessed truck after truck for days bringing in cement to put under the homes. There are engineers that specialize in this type of problem but hopefully we will never have to deal with one of them.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

Quite a few sinkholes in the Villages. Folks near Lopez Legacy had some significant issues with the developer who refused to fund any part of repair. Believe the owners sued or threatened to sue but I haven't heard the outcome. Apparently it wasn't important enough news to make the Daily Sun!!!! But you should know that there are and have been sink holes around here.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass
Are you in Winifred?
No
Old 01-13-2008, 06:51 PM

Previous Questions and discussion about the subject of sinkholes. Some good links to information. Trouble in "River City"? You decide but I think the company that is advertising has a right to do so. If you do have a problem, by the time you learned about the change in coverage, it might have been to late to get it fixed.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

Someone on another thread reported sinkholes in Sunset Pointe
Village of Hemmingway
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.