Sinus cold

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
Been here six years. Have had several chronic sinus issues. The best thing I have done is what a Dr. at the VA recommended and that was to purchase the over the counter sinus rinse that comes in little packets. Mix with distilled or boiled water and rinse twice a day. I have not had an issue since I started (knock on wood). The pollen collects in the sinus area and this it what causes most of the issues. Believe me the sinus rinse works. Also use a good nasal spray.
I was under the impression that those so called..netty pots, could cause brain damage.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:54 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
I was under the impression that those so called..netty pots, could cause brain damage.
Just be sure to use distilled or boiled water for the rinse. The brain issue is from an amoeba sometimes present in water, not the use of a neti pot.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Getting Better Slowly

I ended up being on Azithromycin (6 Day Pack) and Methylprednisolone 6 day pack and it appears they are working. The low grad temp is gone but the lousy cough is hanging on with some congestion. When you get something like this you think you are the only one on the earth with it. I went to a Dr yesterday for a check and the nurse had the same exact thing with the same results. There goes I am unique and in fact am just another of the Villages statistics. My Dr. had said to not get anxious it will take time and she was really right.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

I got this while in CA. It hung on over two months. Two antibiotics. Now in NM. People are coughing. Bad bug this year.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-15-2017, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I got this while in CA. It hung on over two months. Two antibiotics. Now in NM. People are coughing. Bad bug this year.
This is a mother speaking.

I am a registered mother. I have several decades under my belt handling colds and have seen a few become pneumonia.

Antibiotics do not help a cold at all. However a cold sometimes leads to a secondary bacterial infection. You should let your doctor decide....but if you go to urgent care they almost always will give you antibiotics. Some here give you shots (??!!!!) MERCY!

I could type a volume on what unnecessary antibiotics do but they are prescribed and then you get mad at your doctor because you still feel miserable. Cold viruses are wicked little things and we do get immune to each one we encounter as we meet them, but there are thousands and they are waiting. I don't wipe off carts at Publix because my immune system isn't compromised at this time. It makes some people feel better, as does chicken soup and complaining. (I am an advocate of chicken soup and complaining)

Please get your flu shot. It is getting to a point where it may be too late. Remember, I told you so.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:07 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This is a mother speaking.
Please get your flu shot. It is getting to a point where it may be too late. Remember, I told you so.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Been there

I have had the honor and privilege to be able to be a care taker for 3 very serious cancers and through these have been to some of the most famous Clinics in the world from MD Anderson to Mayo Clinic to Lahey Clinic and many etc's. Some of the best advise and experience's have been a Dr. saying if the patient asked a question don't you guess call the Dr.. the patient is responsible for his or her care and treatment and should not do something they think is wrong and to get a second opinion before going on. What is interesting is these rules also apply whether the problem is a simple cold, flu infection etc. If you think the Dr will be upset because you go for a 2nd opinion you have the wrong Dr!! Don't "settle" for a Dr. because he or she is close, etc. Your health care is the most important decisions you will ever make. I am sure most readers know these rules but it never hurts to get a reminder.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Default sinus cold

No, not a cold, but a severe sinus infection, Just came from my Dr. , Yes I thought I had a cold, and to wait it out, however, the pressure over and under my eyes, was so intense I could hardly sleep, lots of mucus (which starting turning the yucky color), Bad headache at night over my eyes, ears kept popping. Yes, now on antibiotics, steroids to reduce the swelling, and a cough suppressant for the drainage, Don't wait as long as I did to see a Dr. (2 and half weeks of sheer misery.) Will let you know how I feel in a few days, with the recommended cures.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Good Luch

Good luck Nana. Hope you get through it in a few days and feel much better.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Is anyone experiencing what appears to be either sinus or
significant colds that require antibiotics, etc.
When I first moved here and the temperature dropped I end up in bed for a week. so I did two things. first when the temp hit 50 degrees I button up my golf cart and secondly I take 1 antihistamine tablet a day

have not had a problem since
Closed Thread

Tags
sinus, colds, significant, require, wave

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.