A scene from Reno 911

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts
Default A scene from Reno 911

Last night three officers were standing on Canal Street in Lake Sumter Landing across from Urban Flats. One of them was flashing a light into the golf carts as they stopped at the intersection. Evidently they were looking for open containers. Meanwhile, there was a totally drunk guy who Urban Flats and the drink shack had cut off staggering around looking for his golf cart. This went on for so long that people were laughing at the scene evolving. The three cops apparently were oblivious to this due to their dedicated task.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Last night three officers were standing on Canal Street in Lake Sumter Landing across from Urban Flats. One of them was flashing a light into the golf carts as they stopped at the intersection. Evidently they were looking for open containers. Meanwhile, there was a totally drunk guy who Urban Flats and the drink shack had cut off staggering around looking for his golf cart. This went on for so long that people were laughing at the scene evolving. The three cops apparently were oblivious to this due to their dedicated task.
They cannot really do anything about this man unless he was actually driving a golf cart or disturbing the peace. As soon as he is driving though, they could arrest him and take him to detox/jail.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM

Not sure why you would feel the police officers were less than professional ("Reno 911, oblivious "). I have no problem with them looking for illegal / hazardous activity in fact I am glad they are trying to keep us safe.

jeff
Old 02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
Not sure why you would feel the police officers were less than professional ("Reno 911, oblivious "). I have no problem with them looking for illegal / hazardous activity in fact I am glad they are trying to keep us safe.

jeff
I guess it's one of those scenes where you had to be there to appreciate it. Lighten up Jeffy.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Veteran member
Default They caught one!

When I came out of Urban Flats at about 8 pm last night, two Sumter County police officers were in the process of writing ticket(s) to a guy in a golf cart by the traffic light. He did have an open container in the cup holder. Obviously, the dude was drinking from the beer can when going around the corner. Not a very smart move when there are uniformed police officers standing there. That is going to cost him a lot of money since the incident was on a public road and not a golf cart path.

I was up at Lake Sumter Landing again tonight (Tuesday) and saw a Sumter County police car cruising around.

They are out there.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:17 AM
Veteran member
Default sumter landing policing

I was told...by a source that shall remain un-named ..that there are always a number of plainclothes officers at BOTH of our town squares. OK ,sometimes just one, but as many as four on occasion. Also, if you look closely at the cars in the area.... you will note there is at least one...but usually...two unmarked police vehicles driving around at Lake Sumter. This of course is between 4pm and 10 pm.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 AM
Veteran member

Uh just for clarification...open containers refer to alchohol only? I always travel with a water bottle,,,,,

Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Sage
Default No lawyer here....

Quote:
Please do not misinterpret this post as someone advocating drinking and driving a golf cart. The thread raises a curiosity for me and others may know the answers.
IF the police officers were indeed looking for open containers of alcohol, I am curious about two things.
  1. Do police officers have the right to look in every cart without cause? To what extent? If I have a can in a koozie, can they ask to see what the can is?
  2. Does the open container law even extend to a NON registered vehicle such as a golf cart? How about a bicycle? Of course DUI is against the law on a bike or a golf cart but I wonder about an open container?

Last edited by ajbrown; 02-23-2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: never right first time
Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Founder

"...Motor vehicle means any vehicle, as defined in Florida Statutes, which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power, but not including any bicycle, golf cart or lawnmower.:

".....Open containers of alcoholic beverages are not allowed within 50 feet of a public thoroughfare. "

"...probable cause “exist[s] where the known facts and circumstances are sufficient to
warrant a man of reasonable prudence in the belief that contraband or evidence of a crime
will be found,”

JLK
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.