Size of The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Default Size of The Villages?

At it's longest points, how many miles long is TV from North to South and also from East to West? Also, once completed, how many homes will be in TV? TIA
Old 02-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Platinum member

From what I hear, The Villages is to be 38 miles when completed. That is one and a half the size of Manhattan.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Build-out is supposed to be almost 60,000 homes.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 AM
BOMBERO
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
From what I hear, The Villages is to be 38 miles when completed. That is one and a half the size of Manhattan.

When someone told you The Villages was going to be 38 miles, did you happen to ask if that was north to south or east to west?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Do you mean 38 square miles? that doesn't sound like enough
Old 02-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Default Size of TV

Quote:
Buana Vista, from CR 42 to CR 466A is app. 15 miles. Adding another 4 miles or so to get to CR 44 would bring the total distance to 19 miles. So, I guess a return trip would make it 38 miles.

No matter how it is measured, TV is big and getting bigger. Fortunately, the planning involved in the various phases of expansion make TV an incredibly pleasant place to live and play.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum8156 View Post
Do you mean 38 square miles? that doesn't sound like enough
Approximately 38 square miles would be about right
Old 02-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOMBERO View Post
When someone told you The Villages was going to be 38 miles, did you happen to ask if that was north to south or east to west?
I did a little rough measuring around TV for no particular reason other than interest, and using Google Maps found that the distance from the northern most end of Buena Vista to where it's roughly expected to end after the buildout is approximately 13 miles. East-West measuring would consistantly change as you proceed south on both sides, especially with the southern Lake Co area. So I didn't bother with that. Using the Sumpter Co Assessors map, the circumfrence around Sumpter Co only is roughly estimated at 33 miles. I didn't go any further than that. Again, these roughly estimated figures are presented for no particular reason other than interest and it's in line with what's being discussed here. Please keep that in mind.
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran member
Default Google Earth

If you haven’t already, take a look at TV through Google-Earth. I enjoy looking at the whole world through google-earth ... it’s really interesting. And it has really helped me get the lay of the land for both TV and the surrounding areas. You can zoom in and out and clearly see how the different villages are layed out. (Download at www.earth.google.com/)
Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 PM

If you look at the Daily Sun's website, go to Advertising, go to Rate Card, it will open up a PDF form. Download that and it will tell you that the total acres of land is 23,000.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
If you haven’t already, take a look at TV through Google-Earth. I enjoy looking at the whole world through google-earth ... it’s really interesting. And it has really helped me get the lay of the land for both TV and the surrounding areas. You can zoom in and out and clearly see how the different villages are layed out. (Download at www.earth.google.com/)
The Google Earth perspective is a real eye-opener. The Villages looks like one vast jam-packed housing estate but, as an earlier poster said, at ground level it is a lovely place to live and generally well-thought out.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default It isn't the biggest place but it is our home and the best place.

I think about the jam packed look and this I know. Most of us still wish we weren't so close to another home, but the HUGE upside is this...We don't have the land as a burden to manage as we become busy doing other things and as we grow older and not quite as inclined or able to mow all that grass and maintain the beds.

I think that this space was so carefully thought out and meticulously planned that we have our manageable space and yet huge vistas of golf courses and ponds and tree lined boulevards to enjoy with all of it beautifully maintained.

I think that the owner could have charged more for things and probably would and could have sold it all to people with more money. Instead there are affordable homes for almost everyone, ranging in price from 70K to a million and a half and they are all here together.

It sure is nice.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-21-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Approximately 38 square miles would be about right
IF it were 10 miles by 10 miles that would be 100 square miles.

Please recalculate..

Most of what I've HEARD is 7 by 21
That would be 147 sq miles
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 02-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Platinum member

Below is some of the ifo I dug up about TV. I was correct about approx 38 miles. These stats were taken in Jan 2010

Pop. 77,000 in Jan. 2010

Planned Homes. 55,805
Av. Home Price for 2008 $234,000
Planned Pop. 105,000 by 2017

62 Villages as of May 2009 .. at build out 72 are planned

Villages covers 26,000 acreas / 40 square miles
15 miles North to South
8 miles East to West
Hwy 42 to 466A is 12.5
Hwy 42 to CR44 is 15 miles
Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the stats, Tom! Boilermaker Dave is always interested in numbers and these are a few of the ones he was curious about.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.