slow hot wtr delivery !!!

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2021, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My charm doesn't work as well as it used to.
Mine always worked the same. No recirculator pump. Only an on off switch when fools
demand it they have no doubt I have turned it off.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
slow hot water @ kitchen & mstr bath sinks - copper piping 4 yr old house suggestions ?recirculating pump - under sink elec? may be the only 2 viable choices tnx in adv!!
If it’s an electric WH, it may be a bad element. Easy fix, as my mother has done it. If it needs replacement, I would consider a tankless when pricing new ones.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

120,000 people living in TV, can you amagine how many people that are on your water line. Yes, you better spend the 6 or $700. & buy what you said.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:30 AM

try removing the faucet screens and cleaning them. you'll find a lot of minerals block the screens thus making delivery slow. also turn up heat on ho water tank
Old 06-16-2021, 08:34 AM

So turn on your shower and go make the bed.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:07 AM
Default Hot water

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
As I've said nothing is perfect. Circulating hot water on a timer, my schedule is not that predicable. Hot water in the pipes, there is the cost of running the pump but usually not considered is your AC bill for pumping that paid for heat, at water heater, out of your home. Worth it-your choice. It is a choice. Not a particularly expensive one.
Installing a hot water recirculation pump. You put the crossover under the sink furthest from the hot water tank. It pumps constantly through the hot from the tank and returns through the cold water lines. When you draw cold water, you get cold water. When you draw hot water you get HOT water. No waiting. Mine runs constantly.. It a small pump that uses very little electricity and I don't think it's worth trying to set the times it should run. Live a little...let it run. Be happy, don't waste water, recirculate. It sooo worth the small expense to have hot water when you want it.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:11 AM

Check this out at Home Depot: Never wait for hot water again; The Watts Hot Water Recirculating Pump provides hot water at every faucet or shower when needed, eliminating wasted water. It is easy to install on any water system and requires no additional piping. The unique design of the pump ensures quiet, maintenance-free operation. The system includes a built-in 24 hour, a dual setting programmable timer to activate the pump only when needed.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

depending upon the design of your home you may experience a delay in hot water reaching different locations in the house.

we never had any issues with our shower or bath room sinks, but we'd waste a good gallon at the kitchen sink waiting for hot water when we did the dishes (we like to cook, and yes we do wash a lot of the big stuff by hand). We also would turn on the hot water at the sink and wait for it to run hot before starting up the dishwasher

finally we decided to have a recirculating device put in at the hot water tank...from 6am thru 8pm the hot water cycles and the wife is now happy

cost me about $$650 between a plumber and electrician....so what, what the heck good is money if you can't spend it and be happy about it
Old 06-16-2021, 09:18 AM
Default Hot water

We have a tankless water heater. It used to take 2 and a half minutes to get hot water in the master bedroom. I turned the thermostat up to 125. It cut the time down to 1 minute and 15 seconds.
Not the end of the world.
😎
Old 06-16-2021, 09:40 AM
Sage

Just a quick FYI, the water pipes are in the dirt UNDER the slab. They only make an appearance when its time to go vertical into a wall, or into a plumbing fixture.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:44 AM
Location: Moved to the Village of Caroline from St. Louis MO.
Talking Recirculation pump

Up north, installed a recirculation pump in Master Bathroom. I could set time of day to run. It would pump the "colder hot water" into the cold water line, and thus recirculate. When the sensor in the pump reached the preset temperature it would shut off, and then recycle as necessary to keep water hot. This causes the "cold water" temp to increase, so you are now getting hot water, but your cold water is warm. I like the earlier suggestion of turn on the hot water in my case 42 seconds prior to getting into the shower. Probably waste 2 gallons of water max.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
slow hot water @ kitchen & mstr bath sinks - copper piping 4 yr old house suggestions ?recirculating pump - under sink elec? may be the only 2 viable choices tnx in adv!!
Recirculating pump. I installed mine and it takes 15 seconds for the hot water to get to the shower as opposed to 45 plus.
“When you realize that to produce, you must obtain the permission from those who do not produce anything; When it is proven that the money flows to those who trade not with goods, but with favors; When you realize that many get rich by bribery and influence rather than by work. When you realize that corruption is rewarded and honesty becomes self-sacrifice; Then you can say, without fear of making mistakes, your society is doomed.”

Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged,1957.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:26 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

No kidding? You've got COPPER pipes? I'm so jealous! I didn't think you could buy a house in the Villages without plastic plumbing. The first $500 I spent on our house was to replace all those 15-year-old plastic shutoff valves and hoses that were ready to pop at any moment. But there was nothing I could do about the plastic stub-outs from the wall, silently waiting their chance explode the minute someone crams too much stuff under the sink.

Anyway... here's my tip for slow hot water, at least for the shower. Open the sink faucets on hot while you're running the shower. It'll probably halve the time it takes to deliver the hot water, because they're probably all fed from one main 3/4" line. The individual branches to the sink and shower are only 1/2". So you need to run them all to get maximum flow from the tank.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Default Turn timer off

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
As I've said nothing is perfect. Circulating hot water on a timer, my schedule is not that predicable. Hot water in the pipes, there is the cost of running the pump but usually not considered is your AC bill for pumping that paid for heat, at water heater, out of your home. Worth it-your choice. It is a choice. Not a particularly expensive one.
We put in a recirculating pump but turned the timer off because our schedule is definitely unpredictable. We just turn the hot water on and VOILA !
Old 06-17-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1938 View Post
Installing a hot water recirculation pump. You put the crossover under the sink furthest from the hot water tank. It pumps constantly through the hot from the tank and returns through the cold water lines. When you draw cold water, you get cold water. When you draw hot water you get HOT water. No waiting. Mine runs constantly.. It a small pump that uses very little electricity and I don't think it's worth trying to set the times it should run. Live a little...let it run. Be happy, don't waste water, recirculate. It sooo worth the small expense to have hot water when you want it.
Yes but...
The continual heat loss of the circulating water requires the water heater to run a great deal more.
That is the larger expense part.
Consider a point-of-demand flash heater addition instead.
Closed Thread

Tags
slow, hot, ynx, choices, viable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.