slow hot wtr delivery !!!

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2021, 07:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Just me but I really think a recirculating pump isn’t a waste of time & money. I really think there’s to many people on your water line coming into your peticular Village. What if you spend $700. & that’s not the problem?
Old 06-17-2021, 07:21 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default Their something that a DIY cannot do because it require knowledge of hot water system

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Homes here in The Villages have your water pipes in the slab. They are not insulated and there is not a return loop. The slab is a huge heat sink and will quickly remove the heat from the hot water pipes. A 4 year old Villages home does not have copper pipes...so perhaps you are speaking of a home outside The Villages...but it does not matter the type of pipes you have. You do not say if you have a water heater tank or tankless.

If you have a tank, you can add a recirculating pump rather easily. The two main brands are Grundflos and Watts. A plumber will install these for around $600-$700, or you can do it yourself for about half that.

There are MANY threads here on TOTV on this subject.
To save you time and money have a lic. plumber look at your system and then get 2 or 3 estimate. otherwise if you try to do it yourself it is mostly likely be wrong take it from a master plumber that deal with DIY like you.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Just me but I really think a recirculating pump isn’t a waste of time & money. I really think there’s to many people on your water line coming into your peticular Village. What if you spend $700. & that’s not the problem?
The recirculating pump has no affect on other houses. It only pumps water from your water heater through the hot water piping inside your house and returns it to the water heater. The purpose is to prevent hot water from sitting in the pipes and cooling down. So, when you turn on the shower, the water in the pipe is already hot. I'm not a big proponent of recirculating pumps, but it does allow the shower water to be hot faster than if you don't have a pump.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:36 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
To save you time and money have a lic. plumber look at your system and then get 2 or 3 estimate. otherwise if you try to do it yourself it is mostly likely be wrong take it from a master plumber that deal with DIY like you.
Of course I always recommend having professionals do any work, especially if a person is not skilled in doing this. This project involves both electrical and plumbing skills. I guess I assumed that anyone here reading this thread has had at least 5-6 or more decades of life skills to know enough to hire a professional if something is beyond their skill set.

Perhaps I am taking your post wrong, but you replied to MY post saying "DIY like you".
Really..? I have years of construction experience. I have designed and built complex houses, installed complex multi-zone boiler systems, in floor radiant heat systems, picked up and moved a two story building, installed many tank and tankless water heaters, wired whole houses, etc., etc. I even delivered all three of my sons myself. My company does over 700 home inspections a year in The Villages and we are well versed in all home systems.

I suppose I should have added that because a circulation pump involves both plumbing and electrical expertise if a person does not have copious amounts of experience and skill with working with these systems that we advise deferring this to a licensed, qualified Plumber. My Bad.

Respectfully, Frank D'Angelo
Old 06-17-2021, 01:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1938 View Post
Installing a hot water recirculation pump. You put the crossover under the sink furthest from the hot water tank. It pumps constantly through the hot from the tank and returns through the cold water lines. When you draw cold water, you get cold water. When you draw hot water you get HOT water. No waiting. Mine runs constantly.. It a small pump that uses very little electricity and I don't think it's worth trying to set the times it should run. Live a little...let it run. Be happy, don't waste water, recirculate. It sooo worth the small expense to have hot water when you want it.
When my pump runs I get hot water from both the hot and cold pipes. Reason is the hot water is returned to the hot water tank through the cold water pipe. Guess you have a separate return pipe?
Old 06-17-2021, 06:19 PM
Default Slow hot water in kitchen

I called warranty dept and they sent a plumber who said that is just how it is since the kitchen in my new Woodside is " so far" from the water heater. "So far" in my NY house that was 4578 sq ft was from one corner of the basement to the second floor diagonal corner ! Still annoying that it takes so long here.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
QUOTE=DangeloInspections;1960062]Homes here in The Villages have your water pipes in the slab do they think copper's as good as steel rebar ??. They are notinsulated no surprise labor & mtl $ not in code either there is not a return loop no surprise either. The slab is a huge heat sink and will quickly remove the heat from the hot water pipes WOW does it everlose heat fast?. A 4 year old Villages home does not have copper up thru sink cabinet floor to sink fixture-plastic delivery in bathrooms ...so perhaps you are speaking of a home outside The Villages...osceola hillsbut it does not matter the type of pipes you have. You do not say if you have std 40 gal water heater
thanks frank always good talking w/ you. appreciate your time too !
I don't know how it works in The Villages but when my house was built in 1997, the copper tubing was laid in the dirt and buried before the cement was poured for the slab. Blue and red Vinyl sleeves were placed around the cold and hot water tubing where it was routed through the concrete to protect the copper tubing from corrosion.
Closed Thread

Tags
slow, hot, ynx, choices, viable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.