are small dogs safe out in the cyv?

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
I was a master falconer for years, volunteered for a raptor rehab center for over 15 years, did live raptor shows from NY to Ca, and flew ( hunted with ) every bird from a kestrel to golden and bald eagles. You have no worries here in FL. The birds you see here eating birds are accipiters they only eat birds, The other common hawks are red shouldered and red tailed. A big one ( female ) might be two and a half pounds. They can fly with around a third of there weight, The eagles here are mostly scavengers and wouldn't have enough room to maneuver in most areas around here and they are not very good hunters anyway . Better scavengers. Also just like predators the world over they will always go for the smallest and easiest meal they can get like rats and mice.
We probably tend to be overprotective of our little fur babies, I know I am. It's good to hear first-hand information. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We probably tend to be overprotective of our little fur babies, I know I am.

What kind of dog is the large one in your avatar?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Sage

...somehow this posted twice. see below.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Sage

http://http://www.allaboutbirds.org/...ldered_hawk/id

Florida girl here. lived with red-shouldered hawks perching on kid's basketball goals for 15 years. Had an indoor outdoor cat all that time. Website says "These forest hawks hunt prey ranging from mice to frogs and snakes. " and I'd add they must've enjoyed some baby squirrels and birds I was feeding, but I'm not sure of that.

I miss them here. I loved to hear them say "keerah, keerah"...their average weight is 1.5 lbs.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
What kind of dog is the large one in your avatar?
Oh, my favorite topic! That is Lollipop, our Portuguese Water Dog. She is oversized at 70 lbs. She had at least four different homes before we rescued her three years ago. We are so lucky to have adopted her, she's a great dog! It is our little 10 lb dog that I worry about as far as predators go.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Veteran member

I love hearing from all of TOTVs doggy people and respect your opinon very much. That is why I am asking your opinion on this. We have a CYV and planned on having a doggy door when we finally move down. Our dogs are not barkers at all and we don't worry about that. They are a giant breed, Russian Wolfhounds, and we want have always had a doggyy door for them to come and go as they please. Should I be worried about their safety alone in the yard? They are not the type to hang outside. They go out, potty and come back in. It would allow me the freedom to spend days at Disney, etc though and I am reluctant to give that up unless I have to if it's necessary for their safety. What do you think? Hawks, coyotes, etc??
Old 08-18-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
I love hearing from all of TOTVs doggy people and respect your opinon very much. That is why I am asking your opinion on this. We have a CYV and planned on having a doggy door when we finally move down. Our dogs are not barkers at all and we don't worry about that. They are a giant breed, Russian Wolfhounds, and we want have always had a doggyy door for them to come and go as they please. Should I be worried about their safety alone in the yard? They are not the type to hang outside. They go out, potty and come back in. It would allow me the freedom to spend days at Disney, etc though and I am reluctant to give that up unless I have to if it's necessary for their safety. What do you think? Hawks, coyotes, etc??
I honestly don't think your huge wolfhounds would be in any danger, especially behind a CYV wall. But if you want to be on the Very Very safe side, you may consider at least partially screening in a smaller area of the courtyard right outside the doggie door with pet screen like we did (shown in earlier pictures). It gives us piece of mind.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
I was a master falconer for years, volunteered for a raptor rehab center for over 15 years, did live raptor shows from NY to Ca, and flew ( hunted with ) every bird from a kestrel to golden and bald eagles. You have no worries here in FL. The birds you see here eating birds are accipiters they only eat birds, The other common hawks are red shouldered and red tailed. A big one ( female ) might be two and a half pounds. They can fly with around a third of there weight, The eagles here are mostly scavengers and wouldn't have enough room to maneuver in most areas around here and they are not very good hunters anyway . Better scavengers. Also just like predators the world over they will always go for the smallest and easiest meal they can get like rats and mice.
REALLY ?? So I can let my 6 pound kitty and my 5 pound Pom out and I never have to worry about any animal bothering them. Really ? And you know this how ? Just askin'.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
I really wouldn't fret too much about a large dog being outside in a CYV, although there are snakes to consider. At one time, I remember that a member posted that they'd seen a coyote walking along the top of a CYV wall. Yikes. That seems pretty unlikely to me, and I doubt that any wild animal would jump into a walled yard with a big dog, unless it had rabies.

I think once you've lived in TV for a few months, you'll develop a comfort level with your dogs being outside. You'll probably make friends with other dog people on your street, who would be willing to check up on your dogs, and let them out for potty breaks. If your Villa is near my house, I'd volunteer to let them out, but I'm not there during the summers. Everything will fall nicely into place for you, I'm sure!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:56 AM
Sage

I can't think of anything that would attack a Russian Wolfhound except maybe another wolfhound or a wolf LOL. Should you worry that they might jump the wall and be off, I don't know.I would dearly love to meet them, one of my favorite breeds. Good luck with your move and your wonderful dogs
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
This is on Ask.com

How Much Weight Can a Hawk Carry?
Answer
The hawk is a great predator that captures its prey and then brings it back to the nest. A hawk can carry an item or animal that is half of its body weight.

1 Additional Answer
A hawk can carry an average of 4 1/2 pounds. They usually can carry rodents, gophers, and prairie dogs.
anything less that 4.5 lbs is not an actual dog.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
anything less that 4.5 lbs is not an actual dog.
Hooooo boy...
Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
REALLY ?? So I can let my 6 pound kitty and my 5 pound Pom out and I never have to worry about any animal bothering them. Really ? And you know this how ? Just askin'.
I thought his credentials sounded very credible. I think he should know what he's talking about with 15 years' experience with raptors, not to mention hunting with these big birds.

That said, there are too many other things to get to your dog and cat in the yard--snakes and ants, for example. Alligators if you yard isn't walled...

I wouldn't let a Pom or a cat out of my sight outside. (And I'm sure you don't.)
Old 08-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the reply, Spicy and JBlum. I don’t worry about my Borzoi (Russian Wolfhounds) jumping the 6’ fence. I was worried about being pecked by large birds or maybe a coyote getting in and them having to fight one. I think if they had to they could defend themselves, although they would probably have to do it together and not be happy about it. It’s not something they are accustomed to doing (hunting). I do worry about their safety. I would love people to meet them. They are a lovely breed and, like everyone else, we love to share our dogs with dog lovers. There are so many people from TOTV that w can’t wait to meet. When we finally do make it down, I do hope to meet you. I know you will love them also (be prepared for a big white head to land in your lap!)
Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Sage

please see new thread, was your pet injured in tv by a wild animal...if yours were injured, it would be huge news...and we'd all be talking about it for years.
so far there is only one truly concerning event, which involves a small dog around a backyard pond with a gator in it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.