Trying to Sell Your Home

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Veteran member
Default Trying to Sell Your Home

For those of you trying to get to the Villages but must wait until your present home sells, for how long have you had it on the market? Have you lowered the price any to make it sell faster? If so, how long was it for sale before you lowered? And if you want to share, what state do you live in now? I live in Illinois and the homes are not moving at all and those that have sold did at a huge drop in asking price. One of our neighbors sold his home for $100K lower than what he wanted. It was for sale over two years! There is no comparsion between his home and my home but lack of real estate selling is making me nervous! Any others facing these issues?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Trying to Sell Your Home

We just this month listed our home here in North Carolina (40 miles from Charlotte).The market is very slow here also but we were hoping our in-ground pool would be an added incentive and increase the chance of it selling quickly. If the summer comes and goes with no sale , it could take a while.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:50 PM

I too am trying to sell my home so that I can move TV without any ties here in Maine. Same story here, the market just is not moving. I have a big old victorian income property and it is just not moving. Only been on the market since May 1st so, maybe by fall I will be on my way south. Can't bear to think of plowing and shoveling another winter.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:33 PM

Also, read the blog here "Burying St Joseph".

On market for 235,000 7 lookers, 1 couple wants to buy but has to sell their home..In 3 months they have only had 2 lookers. Ours has been on market since April, 2007.

We can not lower the price because then we will have no wiggle room and we couldn't buy in TV if we lowered too much! Nothing going here except million dollar homes.

Don't have to sell right now because we didn't buy in TV but want to badly. (Check other blog mentioned above. Colorado
Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM

We also have had our home for sale for just about a year. However, we did take it off the market over the winter. We live in Indiana and the market is more than dead. We've lowered the price $15,000. We've had a couple of good bites but then they backed out because of the new property tax laws here. Now there is talk of increasing interest rates. I'm curious how they think this will help the economy.

I'm sure God will get us down to TV when He wants us there. We're hearing that Florida is really taking a hit with foreclosures. Is that true? I've heard they are number 2 in the nation. If that is the case then resales down there should be coming down in cost, also. I guess it all works out.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Platinum member

:redface: Have 1 house (3-2-2) in New Carlisle OH that's been on the market for 1 month. 2 showings so far. Won't buy in TV until it's sold. Primary residence located in water front resort area in northern KY. Won't list it until we buy in TV. Talk about a cluster :edit:. Haven't lowered the price yet. Don't think we'll have a problem selling in KY although this area is slow too. OH is another story. It's leading the U.S. in foreclosures.

Steve
Old 07-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Steve,

I'll see your foreclosure rate and raise you a couple. ;D ;D

Sorry but I don't think you rate number #1. We used to have that title but California and Arizona just beat us out! We're number #3 but we're trying hard to get back into first place!!!!

My realtor just told me that he looked at a foreclosure that sold last year for 1.4 million and the guys that bought it gutted it before they took off to places unknown. That's not a foreclosure that's just FRAUD! But everyone is really getting hit bad all over the country. We're going to Cheyenne Wyoming for the weekend to see "The Daddy of Em All" rodeo and while we're gone (this weekend and next) our realtor is going to have an OPEN HOUSE. I told him, now that I buried St Joseph, he's on the clock!!!!!! ;D
Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 PM

Hey mmclover,

We are from Sunny Saco (home of Jolly John) we are looking to move down in 808 days (not counting), but we have already bought our place in the Villages. Hopefully the market will pick up by then. We have 3 places on our street for sale and they have been for a while. 2 are income properties and 1 was an income property that was turned into condos... ready for this, 3bdr 1 ba and the guy selling wants them to pay $160 a month in condo fees... he must be doing drugs....

Larry
Old 07-20-2007, 05:25 PM

We were lucky. We live in Wyomissing (a suberb of Reading PA) in a condo and were able to sell it very quickly, without a realtor, via word-of-mouth. This is because we live in a very desireable location. Our condo is a good sized unit with full basement, 2-car garage, and 1st floor Master BR (plus 2 upstairs guest rooms) We got our full asking price.....We were very lucky!!! ;D
Old 07-20-2007, 07:32 PM

We sold our home in northern Michigan in September, 2005. We had it listed for 18 months by 2 different Realtors...both of whom could have cared less about us or working!! We put it on www.forsalebyowner.com and sold it ourselves for full price CASH, plus the new owners (from SanDiego) bought everything we had for sale (we threw in the roof rake for free ;D).

We had a LOT of inquiries, a lot of showings and 3 offers in one day and we sold it for MORE than any Realtor told us we could possibly get.

We now have our home here in The Villages for sale, also on www.forsalebyowner.com. (listed it a week ago & 2 inquiries already) Almost everyone looking for something these days, go to the internet. Sooo all of you people trying to sell homes to get down here to The Villages might want to try selling on-line. You can lower the price of your house and still come out ahead. We only paid $249.00 until it sells...that sure beats paying 6% and more in real estate commissions!!!

And before someone asks...no there's nothing wrong with The Villages or our house. In fact, it's a wonderful community ... it's just that we've decided we want to pursue other interests while we're still young enough and healthy enough to do so.

Good luck to all of you...and if anybody wants to buy a lovely Amarillo with a Florida Room...just let us know!!

P.S. I buried St. Joseph in the dead of winter in Michigan (January) and the house did not sell until the following Fall, AFTER we listed it ourselves...just an idea??? ???
Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 PM

Hummmmmm Didn't think the "For Sale by Owner" web site would work. Too many out there that want to sell their home that I thought you'd get lost in the shuffle. Are there any more of you out there that have tried that? Our contract with our Realtor is up in September and that is an idea! What is the cost and how many people contacted you? How did the couple from San Diego see the home. Just pictures or did they fly in to see the house?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 PM

I am a Realtor.. and the market is terrible everywhere. NO BUYERS.. Homes over 250K are not moving..PLUS in The VIllages... NEW Homes DEALS of a lifetime are killing the preowned market. I do not expect it to pick up until after the election. If you are listed with TRhe VIllages BEWARE.. priority to sell new homes. I have had customers that have come down with 7-9 Viollages preowned listings they wanted to see, and some how all they looked at were new homes.

GODD LUCK TO YOU ALL.. and me to The Beans and Rice is getting pretty tiresome.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:04 PM

In defense of TV Realtors: We were shown as many pre-owned homes as we were new ones. It did not appear to us that we were being "pushed" toward TV New Homes, although that is what we ended up buying, since TV offered a $20K reduction in price, and the one pre-owned that we made an offer on refused to budge off the asking price.

We believe that we were treated very well - the realtor (Sharon Crenshaw - we highly recommend her) went out of her way to please us, showing us close to 50 homes, and spending five straight days with us. She EARNED whatever commission she received!

OK - I HAVE to try the banner... ;D : :'( :dontknow: :joke: ;D ;D
Sharon Crenshaw The Villages Realty (We are NOT related!)
Victoria &amp; Vancouver, B.C.<br />China Lake, Ca<br />Pasadena, Ca<br />Several cities in Orange Co., Ca<br />Bakersfield, Ca<br />Indiana, PA<br />West Palm Beach, FL<br />TV&nbsp; (Mallory Square)!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:32 PM

TravelMaster and all others,

We have a 3 bdrm, 3,000 sq ft listed for $235,00. We have it listed with a Realtor but have only had 7 showings since April. Our house is Extras, Extras, Extras and NEW everything!!!! (It's a townhome). We have only about $5,000 wiggle room because we have about $90,000 still remaining on the loan and we have to have enough to buy in TV! Heres my question. 2 parter

1. Should we come down below the $5,000 and buy low end in TV in hopes that we can "move up" to home we want in TV when the market turns around or wait it out.

2. What does your training and knowledge say about when the market may start coming back again. We've read something like 3 years!!!! I really want to move a lot quicker than that!!!! (This fall or winter if at all possible ;D)

We are in a unique community close to golf but the areas around us (smaller, older etc) are selling between $10,000 and $25,000 below value.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Hello Darbyduff,

I, too, lived in Colorado (south of Denver) between 1988 and 2004. Such a beautiful place that it amazes me that the housing market is always in turmoil there. It seems that when the National housing market is slow the Colorado market is even slower; and when things are up sharply Nationally the Colorado market is not as robust.

The risks in the credit market nationally are far from contained, I fear. It will become harder for folk to receive new loans for housing. New home builders across the nation are now discounting their inventory more than 10% below the average price of a similar existing home. History shows that the reverse is usually the case. Thus, it may be assumed that existing home resale prices need to be adjusted downward another 15% to 20% on average. Of course, every home situation is unique.

I don't think it's advantageous to try to catch a falling knife. Many people price their homes at what THEY think it's worth and not what the market will pay for it. In the end, they're usually pricing their homes just a little too high and keep reducing as the market, itself, reduces. 2007 prices aren't what 2005 prices were and 2008 prices may not be at the same level as this year. We will be placing our home in Arizona onto the MLS next month. We're willing to list below the comps in order to generate some quick interest. An additional incentive for the buyer's agent is something to consider, too. Resales in The Villages will need to adjust, as well. I'm not a Realtor nor is anyone in my family in that profession; but, I know that market forces dictate price. Roses are more expensive in February around St. Valentine's Day than they are in July around the Independence Day. Good luck in selling your Colorado home but, as I found out in Arizona, you're going to miss that great place. "'tis a privilege to live in Colorado".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.