smoke alarm

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Sage
Default smoke alarm

Is it true that the Fire Dept. will change smoke alarm batteries for me? How do I call them?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Sage

That's what they told me. I had them out to the house because we were having trouble with one particular detector and when they arrived, they told us that they thought they were there to change the batteries. Nice fellows and showed up very quickly. We saw Chief Gail Lazenby in town one day and asked about getting someone out to check said detector and the next day, there they were....along with the biggest dam fire engine I ever saw...lol. You can probably call the station nearest to your house or just stop in and ask.

Last edited by pooh; 05-29-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Platinum member

Changing the batteries in the smoke detectors used in TV is tricky. First you're working on a ladder above your head. The battery door slides open half way and you have to pry the 9v battery out from behind. I don't want to bad mouth China but I'll bet the damn things were made there and no one really cared how difficult it was going to be to change the batteries. If the Fire Dept is willing, it's worth a dozen doughnuts or a donation to their favorite charity.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Default Also: Desmond Harris

Desmond Harris (Covenant Janitorial) changed them for us when he cleaned the dryer vent. Make it look easy, but he's done many.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 05-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Veteran member

If I wasn't able to change the batteries myself I think I'd either ask a friend, neighbor or handyman to do it for me. I'd feel terrible if an emergency occured while firemen were at my home installing batteries. Replacing batteries for eveyone's detectors in TV would be a full-time job!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Default Smoke detector

I had a problem with a smoke detector alarm going off for no apparent reason. I called The Villages FD non-emergency number and a fire truck with 6 men showed up about 10 minutes later. They said that is what they are here for. They checked all of the alarms. It turns out that 4 detectors were no good, which they said is typical in a 6 year old house. I bought new ones at Ace Hardware and now everything is ducky.

Tip: push the "test" button on your smoke detectors when changing batteries.

The staff at The Villages FD has a great attitudes and provides great service.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

When I had a detector which refused to acknowledge its new battery and kept beeping in that annoying "low battery" way, I called the guys at Public Safety - not 911.

They came out within an hour in, yes, the biggest d*****d fire truck I think I'd ever seen (the whole street had heartburn wondering about what the h*** was going on). With my profuse apologies for having called them out, they smiled and said, in effect, "No problem!"

Quite honestly, even though it seems like a huge imposition, I'd rather have them come because I feel uncomfortable up on an inadequate ladder then to have them come because I've fallen off that ladder!

SWR
Old 05-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Platinum member
Default I Bet

They would much rather come change batteries, than find your remains when you didn't get out of a burning house because of faulty alarms.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Gold member

This is probably a little off topic but I have an old fire extinguisher that is at least 7 years old. The gauge shows it is full and I have never used it. Where I used to live the fire department would check extinguishers to see if they were still OK. Do they do that here in TV? I should probably buy a new extinguisher but then the next question would be where do I dispose of the old one?

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 05-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
If I wasn't able to change the batteries myself I think I'd either ask a friend, neighbor or handyman to do it for me. I'd feel terrible if an emergency occured while firemen were at my home installing batteries. Replacing batteries for eveyone's detectors in TV would be a full-time job!
My CO detector intermittantly would chirp as if the battery was bad. I replaced the battery but didn't resolve the problem. I purchased a new one from the hardware store near the Village Golf Cart store on 441. It was identical to the one I had so it fit the profile of the original one. No paint touch up was needed. Just a heads up...the instructions recommended changing the sensors every six years. (not sure what the life of smoke detectors is)

BTW...when I spoke with the manufacturer, they specifically said not to use Ray O Vac batteries when doing the yearly replacement.

Last edited by philnpat; 05-29-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Is it true that the Fire Dept. will change smoke alarm batteries for me? How do I call them?
Yes, they'll change the batteries. You have to provide the batteries and a ladder though. They say the ladders on their trucks are filthy and don't think you'd be very happy if they put them up against your pretty walls.
They say they'd rather change your batteries than respond to a medical emergency after you fall off your ladder. To reach them just call your local fire house, NOT 911.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Platinum member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
BTW...when I spoke with the manufacturer, they specifically said not to use Ray O Vac batteries when doing the yearly replacement.
Was this for the smoke detectors or both? Thanks for the life expectancy info as well.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 05-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Was this for the smoke detectors or both? Thanks for the life expectancy info as well.
When I spoke with the manufacturing rep we were speaking of the CO detectors...but since they were both made by the same company (and for the life of me I can't remember their name) I buy a multi pack of Duracell or Eveready.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The fire department definitely prefers that we call them to replace the batteries rather than have us climb up on ladders. They don't always come in the fire engine; they have a service truck just for that purpose. They do want to replace all batteries when they come out, so make sure you have enough batteries available.

Just call 205-8280. Unless they're out on an emergency, they're usually there within 30 minutes.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Default Smoke Alarm

If you call 911 and say NOT A EMERGENCY and ask for fire department, they will connect you to regular phone. Then ask if they would check your alarm and replace your battery. They want to replace the battery so that senior's claiming ladder will not fall and they have to come as emergency.
Reference to fire extengisher = once a quartert turn your extengisher up side down and tap it with a rubber hamer tell you feel the powder shift. It will then work when needed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.