Smoke alarm detector problem!

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 07:30 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to timberpro
Default timberpro

I was told by the manufacturer once you disconnect the hard wire remove the alarm from the ceiling then take the battery out. Now this is real important: PUSH DOWN THE RESET BUTTON BEFORE YOU PUT IN THE NEW BATTERY AS THE OLD ALARM STILL HAS A CHARGE FROM THE OLD BATTERY, IT WILL MAKE A SLIGHT NOISE FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS. Then replace with a new battery and reconnect the wire and put it back in place. Then push the reset button to test the new battery, sometimes it might beep the other smoke dectors when doing this but that is OK.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:32 AM

The smoke alarms installed in our homes are photoelectric alarms. They work by detecting smoke from smoldering fires. I had ionization alarms installed in addition to the photoelectric alarms - they work by detecting smoke from flaming fires. I also had a rapid heat detector installed in the garage and the kitchen. This works by detecting an an increase in heat of 15 degrees in less than a minute. The best part - the ionization alarms and the heat detectors are monitored by an alarm company so I don't have to be home to call the fire department.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:05 AM
Default Had the same problem

Check for moisture in the ceiling . This happen to me , when I took the Fire alarm down you could see there was A spot where there was moisture. It keep doing it even after I replaced with new ones, I finally left the battery out and unplugged the electric part close it up again and bought one you can put in an outlet on any wall. perfect now no more problems .
Old 03-25-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage

Smoke rises, a smoke detector close to the floor will not go of in time to give adequate warning
Old 03-25-2020, 09:18 AM
Default It Works !!!!!

I hope you have more then one Fire Alarm in your Home ! Believe me it works .
Old 03-25-2020, 09:23 AM
Sage

I have several; however, per NEC smoke detector locations are mandated-they are put high for a reason, not convenience--I'm a retired electrical contractor and was a volunteer fireman--in a fire that's why people and fireman are told to keep low to avoid smoke
Old 03-25-2020, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJacobs View Post
The smoke alarms installed in our homes are photoelectric alarms. They work by detecting smoke from smoldering fires. I had ionization alarms installed in addition to the photoelectric alarms - they work by detecting smoke from flaming fires. I also had a rapid heat detector installed in the garage and the kitchen. This works by detecting an an increase in heat of 15 degrees in less than a minute. The best part - the ionization alarms and the heat detectors are monitored by an alarm company so I don't have to be home to call the fire department.
In the newer houses (I think within the past 5 years or so) the builder is installing First Alert Model 9120B smoke detectors. These are "ionization" type detectors, not "photoelectric". Here is a photo of the Model 9120B detector. All the detectors will look the same, but one will say "smoke and carbon monoxide" on it. The rest will only say "smoke".
Attached Images
9120b_front_900x900px-100x100-png 

Last edited by retiredguy123; 03-25-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly top View Post
We have one smoke alarm detector that occasionally beeps 3 times, the others are fine. We purchased a new detector, we dusted the area, we put in new batteries and problem still continues. Anyone know what could be causing this? We don't want to leave the room without a detector which is what other people have done.
Thanks
Take out battery, then unplug the hardwire, then push the test button to drain the smoke detector of all power, it'll tweet about 2 or 3 seconds. Then plug in hardwire, ( AC power) put fresh new battery in & then attach to ceiling. It should be OK now. If detectors are 5 yrs. old or older, you might have to replace them. You can buy a 5 pack of detectors from Lowes for around $30. If you buy a single detector they'll cost you about 25 to $30. a piece. If my instruction are confusing, Google how to stop a tweeting smoke detector. What I told you to do, worked for me. Hope it works for you! Good Luck
Old 03-25-2020, 09:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberpro View Post
I was told by the manufacturer once you disconnect the hard wire remove the alarm from the ceiling then take the battery out. Now this is real important: PUSH DOWN THE RESET BUTTON BEFORE YOU PUT IN THE NEW BATTERY AS THE OLD ALARM STILL HAS A CHARGE FROM THE OLD BATTERY, IT WILL MAKE A SLIGHT NOISE FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS. Then replace with a new battery and reconnect the wire and put it back in place. Then push the reset button to test the new battery, sometimes it might beep the other smoke dectors when doing this but that is OK.
What you said is exactly right, I had to do that 2 yrs. in a row & it worked both times.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraurose View Post
Check for moisture in the ceiling . This happen to me , when I took the Fire alarm down you could see there was A spot where there was moisture. It keep doing it even after I replaced with new ones, I finally left the battery out and unplugged the electric part close it up again and bought one you can put in an outlet on any wall. perfect now no more problems .
I have never heard of a smoke detector that plugs into a wall outlet. The building code requires all smoke detectors to be interconnected with a low voltage electrical system, and each detector must have a battery for backup power. The only type of stand alone detectors allowed are 10-year detectors that have a permanent, sealed battery.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:16 AM
Sage

Wrong they are not interconnected with low voltage, they are interconnected with line voltage--they are on a dedicated circuit--check your breaker box, see if you can find a transformer for smoke detectors--lot cheaper for a contractor to use com wire than 14/3 RX
Old 03-25-2020, 10:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Wrong they are not interconnected with low voltage, they are interconnected with line voltage--they are on a dedicated circuit--check your breaker box, see if you can find a transformer for smoke detectors--lot cheaper for a contractor to use com wire than 14/3 RX
You are correct. They use line voltage.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:09 AM
Veteran member

better the battery than you .
Old 03-25-2020, 02:07 PM

The same thing happened to us. It turned out that we needed to change all of them. Our home is 15 years old and it was time to change them all. Cost was about $75. Hope this helps. I assume your alarms are hard wired, as ours are.

Last edited by heybarb44; 03-25-2020 at 02:13 PM. Reason: More information.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:47 PM
Talking Moisture can set off alarm, I have the same issue at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly top View Post
We have one smoke alarm detector that occasionally beeps 3 times, the others are fine. We purchased a new detector, we dusted the area, we put in new batteries and problem still continues. Anyone know what could be causing this? We don't want to leave the room without a detector which is what other people have done.
Thanks
Moisture can set off alarm, I have the same issue at times.
Closed Thread

Tags
detector, smoke, alarm, problem, causing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.