smoke detectors

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2020, 09:00 AM

Should replace every 10 years
Buy on Amazon and install
Old 07-08-2020, 11:39 AM

I have the photo eye smoke detectors that were originally installed in the house. Later, I had ADT install an alarm system. When I learned about the ionozation alarms (they go off when there is a smoldering fire before the smoke begins) I had ADT install them. Why ADT? Because ADT monitors the smoke alarms and calls the fire department if I am not at home. They also installed a "Rapid Rise Heat Detector over the oven and in the garage - also monitored. They alert when there is a rapid heat change in the environment - also monitored.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Call the Fire Department, they’ll tell you what to buy. If you go to any Ace Hardware, they’ll tell you as well. Not much of a choice of recommended models really, there’s a huge display of the recommended models. You need to replace the CO2 detectors at the same time you replace all the smoke detectors.

Buy the correct number that you have in your house then call the Fire Department. They’ll send a couple of firemen out with their own ladders to install them at no cost to you. Do the same thing when batteries need to be replaced. Do them all at the same time, once a year (before they begin beeping).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonrich View Post
I bought mine at Ace Hardware in Wildwood. Combo CO2andSmoke. I was told that is code if you have an attached garage. They were compatible with existing fixtures. Twist off the old fixture, unsnap the wires in the unit, replace, snap in wires and twist back on and run test. They cost more than the regular smoke alarm. Should replace every 5 to 7 years. Also, I was told that the fire dept does not do this service any longer, have to call Villages Public Safety Dept at 352-205-8280 to set up appt. Have the new unit and batteries ready to go. Haven't used them myself, but will do when we return to the Villages in the Fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meboyle View Post
The fire department has a program where they will come to replace the detectors. They will tell you what type, you buy them and they install. The program is free, but we give a donation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
This is what we were told to buy : Fire Department has a separate department that will install them for free.

First Alert BRK SC9120B-6 Hardwired Smoke and Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector with Battery Backup 6 Pack
First AlertSold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc
Sorry but the Fire Dept. has that program on hold right now because of the Coronavirus.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:56 PM

Consider installing WiFi enabled smoke detectors. If you are away from your house, these units will contact you on your mobile phone if they detect smoke. This may limit your damage in the event of a fire. Lots of options - just Google it.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

You may want to consider installing lithium batteries in your smoke detectors instead of alkaline batteries if your smoke detectors are wired together. They are more expensive, but they are designed to last a lot longer.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:45 PM

Just a heads up if your smoke detectors are under 10 years old and they start giving off 3 beeps sequences call First Alert and give them the serial number of the unit and they will send you a new one , no charge.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I replaced mine with the 10 year battery type from Lowes, it was simple. I got tired of the 2am battery alarm.
Closed Thread

Tags
smoke, detectors, wanted, input, buying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.