Wanted some input on buying new smoke detectors. thanks
Old 07-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

No idea what you are looking for but no home should be without them
Old 07-07-2020, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

OK, if you are replacing the existing units in your home, take one to Lowe's or Home Depot and they can point you to match units. The standard smoke detectors can be purchased in a "contractors" box that will save you several dollars if you are replacing all of your detectors. The 2 or 3 CO (carbon monoxide) detectors can only be purchased seperately. These are about 3 times the cost of standard smoke detectors. Do NOT substitute one for the other.
IMHO, if you have one giving 3 beeps (device failure) I suggest replacing all they are probably approaching end of life, and this avoids the multiple 2 in the morning chirps...
Old 07-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

My First Alert Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Protectors were eating batteries every 3 months. They were one year old when this started. I used the Duracell Red Batteries, not cheap and the date was good and they were fresh because they are working in everything else.

I called First Alert and they graciously sent out units that last ten years before they need replacement. No more beeping at 2 AM. No more batteries no more ladders crying only one person at a time, please! The new Detectors fit in the old holders on the wall.

Pay for the best you can find because you're betting your life on it.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

There are two types: photo eye and ionization. Two completely different ways of detection of smoke. One is better for smoldering fires and one is cheaper. Guess which one came in your home?

You can buy detectors that use both types of detection. That is what I would do
Old 07-07-2020, 01:27 PM
John41

I purchased from Amazon replacement smoke detectors same as the original, First Alert smoke alarm 9120BFF. Do not use Duracell batteries. You can get your model number from the back of your smoke detector.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:58 AM
Veteran member

I have tinnitus and can't hear the beep. I saw some at Costco that spoke a warning. I was thinking about getting those but wondered who I would have replace them. They also had a 10 year battery.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Call the Fire Department, they’ll tell you what to buy. If you go to any Ace Hardware, they’ll tell you as well. Not much of a choice of recommended models really, there’s a huge display of the recommended models. You need to replace the CO2 detectors at the same time you replace all the smoke detectors.

Buy the correct number that you have in your house then call the Fire Department. They’ll send a couple of firemen out with their own ladders to install them at no cost to you. Do the same thing when batteries need to be replaced. Do them all at the same time, once a year (before they begin beeping).
Old 07-08-2020, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

I bought mine at Ace Hardware in Wildwood. Combo CO2andSmoke. I was told that is code if you have an attached garage. They were compatible with existing fixtures. Twist off the old fixture, unsnap the wires in the unit, replace, snap in wires and twist back on and run test. They cost more than the regular smoke alarm. Should replace every 5 to 7 years. Also, I was told that the fire dept does not do this service any longer, have to call Villages Public Safety Dept at 352-205-8280 to set up appt. Have the new unit and batteries ready to go. Haven't used them myself, but will do when we return to the Villages in the Fall.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:13 AM

Stick with the same brand and not battery only. Alarms are wired together. Changing brands means rewiring has to be done. Don't fall for gimicks getting you to spend thousands of dollars. They are ones in the home do meet fire code which is the most important factor. And they communicate with each other also.

I used to work at the fire department and was one of the texts coming to Holmes changing batteries and alarms.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltma View Post
Here are the reviews from Consumer Reports. First Alert and Kidde both make smoke detectors rating around 91 out of 100. Note, however, that they also make smoke detectors for about the same price that rate about 55. Write down the model numbers and make sure you get the right one.

Consumer Reports - Universal Search
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	81F283AD-CA31-4223-9FBC-0803C49985E1.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	85109   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	3FBDAEC9-0B80-4BE4-AD0A-770840338F1C.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	85110  

Last edited by MandoMan; 07-08-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:49 AM

Buy them on Amazon.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:12 AM
Default Detectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltma View Post
The fire department has a program where they will come to replace the detectors. They will tell you what type, you buy them and they install. The program is free, but we give a donation.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:21 AM
Smile Smoke detectors / CO ALarms

Hello,
Since I have been in the business selling smoke, CO & Thermostats I have a much better experience to steer you in the right direction.
First, Get rid of the First Alert or BRK models in your home.
Second, in your kitchen area, buy a Kiddie smoke (PHOTOELECTRIC)/ CO detector ONE UNIT. Reason? Because a Photoelcetric does not alarm if you burn food in your oven. It sees low lying electrical fires and alike. Third, the CO is important in case of your car is left running in the garage or your furnace malfunctions.
Fourth, the rest of the house just use the the Kiddie Ionization Smokes (Less expensive)
However, make sure you buy the units the yell out the problem whether it is smoke or CO. Most of you would never know the difference which could cost you your life. I went to the Fire Dept one time to discuss this issue with them only to be told we keep it the old way so not one comes back and asks for the better ones!
Last, the only hardship here is you will be required to change the little pig tail and plate on the ceiling. If you do not feel comfortable doingit, any handy man can do it for you.

B SAFE
Old 07-08-2020, 07:53 AM

This is what we were told to buy : Fire Department has a separate department that will install them for free.

First Alert BRK SC9120B-6 Hardwired Smoke and Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector with Battery Backup 6 Pack
First AlertSold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc
Closed Thread

Tags
smoke, detectors, wanted, input, buying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.