Smoking

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2017, 08:39 PM
Default Smoking

Can anyone please explain to me how people are allowed to smoke when there is a sign posted, "Smoke Free Campus"?
Today at Cornerstone Hospice the family was sitting outside mourning our loss, when we were asked to move so a hospice patient could sit and smoke.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita M View Post
Can anyone please explain to me how people are allowed to smoke when there is a sign posted, "Smoke Free Campus"?
Today at Cornerstone Hospice the family was sitting outside mourning our loss, when we were asked to move so a hospice patient could sit and smoke.
The hospice patient is dying. I know that you lost someone and I am so sorry, but the patient himself is there because he is at the end of his life and should be allowed to smoke if he wants to.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-25-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Tex Williams - Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) 1947 - YouTube

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Please take my word for it that I'm a considerate person. That being said looking in the rear view mirror at my smoking history it was an area where good manners and thoughtfulness and legality went out the window. I cared about one thing only, the next cigarette and to hell with the person it disrupted or interfered with.

I can't speak for that person who goofed you up today while you were morning your loss but the addiction to that next smoke is powerful. How it came about that I quit is an absolute miracle. I know something greater than me had a hand in conquering this devilish habit. I'm also very sorry for your loss. My only chance of evening the score for my thoughtlessness is to do something nice for someone and keeping the good deed to myself. Take Care.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:35 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

I have seen a dying man, a judge, come out from under an oxygen tent to smoke a cigarette. The addiction to nicotine is terrible. I have read it is seven times as addictive as heroine.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-26-2017, 08:01 AM
Gold member

Thanks for the link--my parents sang it and it brought back memories for me.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I have seen a dying man, a judge, come out from under an oxygen tent to smoke a cigarette. The addiction to nicotine is terrible. I have read it is seven times as addictive as heroine.
It appears that as we age both the addiction to alcohol and nicotine are nearly impossible to conquer.

I don't use either anymore. I think addictive tendencies may be genetic. Some people can use both and not be addicted but some cannot.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It appears that as we age both the addiction to alcohol and nicotine are nearly impossible to conquer.

I don't use either anymore. I think addictive tendencies may be genetic. Some people can use both and not be addicted but some cannot.
I am addicted to TOTV. Among other things.

I often see nurses smoking and wonder why someone trained about the effects of nicotine addition would continue smoking?

The irony of the nurse who smokes | Scrubs - The Leading Lifestyle Nursing Magazine Featuring Inspirational and Informational Nursing Articles

Some fast facts about nurses and smoking:

Quote:
An estimated 540,000 nurses in the U.S. are smokers.
The tobacco industry profits from selling an addictive drug. It may be legal, but their product kills 440,000 people per year. That’s the same as if three 747 jets crashed every day for a year and killed all their passengers.
Nurses have the highest smoking rate among healthcare providers, estimated to be about 18 percent.
Tobacco is highly addictive, and 90 percent of smokers start before the age of 18.
On average, it takes 11 attempts to quit for good.
http://www.nightingalesnurses.org/

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-26-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:05 PM

Let it go. The man was dying and probably was no big deal to move. It's a really bad habit but very hard to stop and no reason for him to stop if he was on the way out.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:18 PM

I knew a man in a wheel chair, lung gone, breathing device on his wheelchair and was possibly homeless in NYC. He would go to the ER every day in the evening after the day shift left and complained of breathing problems. Of course he had the problems so they would treat him, feed him, and as he would be waiting for the doctor he would go outside the ER entrance in his wheelchair and smoke a cigarette. It was a while ago and he is long dead, however he knew what was killing him but the immediate comfort was better than the long term benefit for him.

Its something I always remember when I have my demons. I do know right from wrong, and sometimes the fast comfort feels so much better than the suffering that you may need for the long time benefit. It is up to what if worth more for you.

I hate cigarette smoke more than most. You don't know, I would avoid people who had it on their clothing. In a Hospice, well, I would not judge, just walk away. Hospice means death. Its not in the bank.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 PM
Gold member

My condolences for the loss of your family member and kudos to whoever it was that granted any wish to the patient who is dying. I hope he/she received enjoyment from smoking that cigarette.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I am addicted to TOTV. Among other things.

I often see nurses smoking and wonder why someone trained about the effects of nicotine addition would continue smoking?

The irony of the nurse who smokes | Scrubs - The Leading Lifestyle Nursing Magazine Featuring Inspirational and Informational Nursing Articles

Some fast facts about nurses and smoking:

http://www.nightingalesnurses.org/
My beloved OB who delivered our second son had a pack of Marlboros in his scrubs shirt pocket. Of course, that was almost 39 years ago...
Old 05-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita M View Post
Let the dying patient smoke. Just like if he were dying of heart disease I wouldn’t deny him a cheeseburger. Patients don’t usually come home from a hospice. Please give them the respect and kindness they deserve in their final days. You had to move to another seat, that’s ok. That patient is picking out coffins.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Let the dying patient smoke. Just like if he were dying of heart disease I wouldn’t deny him a cheeseburger. Patients don’t usually come home from a hospice. Please give them the respect and kindness they deserve in their final days. You had to move to another seat, that’s ok. That patient is picking out coffins.

It just seems so...obvious.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Yul Brynner famous last words'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST DON'T SMOKE!! If you've smoked pack or more day for 50 years. Some just can't stop or won't. I have witnessed some on they're last breath of air and still wanted to have the last puff. When you get on oxygen just to breath time is short, very short.
Closed Thread

Tags
smoke, hospice, mourning, family, sitting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.