Smoking at gas pump at Walmart IDIOT

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2018, 06:24 AM
Veteran member
Default Smoking at gas pump at Walmart IDIOT

A woman was smoking at the gas pump at Healdly way as she was pumping gas.
She started pumping gas and then walked less then 10 feet away while her husband was cleaning the car windows.
She put down her cigarette and then went to check the pump and then back to smoking her cigarette.
My husband said "can you please put your cigarette out you are putting all of us at dangerous risk" and her husband said "mind your own business".
One of the people pumping gas stopped and said you jerk to the lady and left.
My husband then begun to have words with the man and the man said she is a safe distance away.
My husband said are you kidding me the Federal and state law prohibits SMOKING; NO SMOKING period at gas station property.
Before it became a fist fight we left and went into the store were we met the store manager and stated why the gas station attendant was not telling these folks to stop smoking or leave.
It was latter found out the attendant had no idea of the confrontation outside with these idiots due to the attendant was cleaning in the store.
We later met the attendant before we left when the manager was speaking with her and she said she had no idea that there was a problem outside. That was all a surprise to us with all the yelling.
The manager of the store said she would look at the cameras to see if it was a regular customer and have them trespassed off the property and the manger agreed that it was a bone head thing to do.
People that smoke need to use your head, and is smoking that important for 5 minutes while you fill your tank.
JEZZZZZ what an IDIOT!!!!:
Old 05-14-2018, 06:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I would have hit the emergency cut off switch, and called 911 to have the FD & Sheriff/PD to respond to a verbal (turning physical) confrontation.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-14-2018, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Just to be accurate, engaging in a verbal confrontation with the husband was more dangerous than the woman smoking. While smoking at the gas pump is not a good idea, it really does not create as high a risk as most people think. The chances of the gas igniting from a cigarette at the pump are small.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Platinum member

That lady was in real danger. Hasn't she heard about lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease, and stinky clothing.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:37 AM

How about people talking on their cell phones while pumping gas. There are also warning about that by the pumps. Static electricity can also make gas fumes go boom.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427dave View Post
How about people talking on their cell phones while pumping gas. There are also warning about that by the pumps. Static electricity can also make gas fumes go boom.
According to the Discovery Channel Mythbusters, talking on a cell phone while pumping gas will not cause a fire at the pump. But, static electricity from your body or something else can cause a fire.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Just to be accurate, engaging in a verbal confrontation with the husband was more dangerous than the woman smoking. While smoking at the gas pump is not a good idea, it really does not create as high a risk as most people think. The chances of the gas igniting from a cigarette at the pump are small.
Right. Reporting the situation to the manager may have been a better choice over a direct confrontation that results in escalation. Initially asking the woman not to smoke is good, but once the husband responded that way ...
Old 05-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Drug addicts care only about their immediate gratification no matter the danger to themselves or others. I used to see this sort of thing quite often but I rarely see it now.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
According to the Discovery Channel Mythbusters, talking on a cell phone while pumping gas will not cause a fire at the pump. But, static electricity from your body or something else can cause a fire.
Yep

FACT CHECK: Cell Phone Use at Gas Pump

Quote:
Later investigations, however, have always shown in such cases that the press reports were wrong, that something else (usually a discharge of static electricity)touched off the fires , and the presence of cell phones was coincidental rather than causal.
More concerning to me than cell phone use (or even smoking 10 feet away), are those people who fill a gas can while it's still in their trunk...or contractors filling them while on a trailer or in the bed of their trucks.

THAT is when the potential for static electricity starting a fire/explosion...is at its greatest.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

As a former smoker, I did some smoking in places I regret. I apologized to the people that I could once I stopped. I never meant to hurt them I just wanted to puff at any cost even someone else's health. What a dope. I'm ashamed of my former behavior and am inclined to forgive and keep quiet about those that do as I did. I take it as Karma and a reminder that I should stay as a non-smoker.

That being said if I showed up and saw someone smoking near the pump I would leave until they were gone. If they started smoking while I was already filling up it would be a different story. I'm almost certain the situation would be snuffed quickly one way or the other. The feeling of needing a smoke is rough but come on give me a break. This is beyond dopey! It is also Illegal.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:12 PM

Even if the chance is 1000 to 1 it is not acceptable!
Old 05-14-2018, 01:25 PM
Veteran member
Default Dangerous STUFF

[QUOTE=ColdNoMore;1543509]Yep

Hi. Can we look at the facts ma'am?
Remember the TV show just looking at the >>>>>?

Consider this, and ponder it a bit.
Maybe it is Florida, maybe the Villages? It seems when we see a problem or safety item, there is NO way to get corrective action. There is frequently, the rationalizing that takes place.
Speeders, Pot smokers, DUI and Happy Hour over indulgences, dangerous trees as incredible hazards, it goes on and on and yes, the smokers at gas stations.
So keep your eyes open and be cautious seems to be the only solution. Sad but true.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Veteran member
Exclamation Dangerous Under Any Circumstances!

Quote:
I was just thinking about the times when I got gasoline on my hand(s) because the nozzle dripped or simply because the pump handle was a little wet and dirty from previous users.

The chances of a calamity happening are far greater than one would think or could imagine. "Look ma. No hands!"
Old 05-14-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
This is true. I know that we live in a different world now but a service station owner/attendant that I knew almost never filled someone's tank up without a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He did it for 20-30 years without incident but I can certainly see it's not a good idea...or talk on cell phones
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, smoking, husband, attendant, store

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.