Old 05-14-2018, 05:22 PM

Maybe just pump gas and go???
Old 05-14-2018, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
Maybe just pump gas and go???
And let an opportunity to get in a confrontation, with a chance that someone may be carrying concealed and pull a gun on you, slip by...on another boring day in The Villages?

Where's the fun in that?

Old 05-14-2018, 06:18 PM
Platinum member

Notice the husband tells you to mind your own business.

But when your moron wife is smoking at the gas pump it
IS YOUR BUSINESS.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Where the hell is Thurston Howell III? This is right in his wheelhouse. He could have a blast (so to speak) with this one.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:30 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

When there were more smokers (20 or more years ago) I use to see this behavior all the time. Didn’t think much about the danger possibility then. Frankly, you are more likely to see smokers out of the “bubble” than in which may have something to do with our age. We should be wise enough to report the smoking to the station manager instead of confronting a stranger who is likely to defend his wife even though he might disapprove of her behavior himself. Pump on...
Old 05-15-2018, 05:45 AM

Amazingly its not illegal to smoke at a gas station. It may be a company policy or hopefully against local fire codes but its not against florida or federal law

florida gas station law:
Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
Old 05-15-2018, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Harry Gilbert;1543790]Amazingly its not illegal to smoke at a gas station. It may be a company policy or hopefully against local fire codes but its not against florida or federal law

florida gas station law:
[url=http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=& URL=0500-0599/0526/Sections/0526.141.html]Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

Try getting your facts right pal and let me know how it works out for you if you cause a explosion at a gas station.

Florida has adopted the National Fire Protection Association‘s standards, including National Fire Protection Association Rule 30A, Code for Motor Fuel Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages, Chapter 9.2.5.1, which states, in part: “Smoking materials, including matches and lighters, shall not be used within 6 m (20 ft) of areas used for fueling, servicing fuel systems of internal combustion engines, or receiving or dispensing of Class I or Class II liquids . . . .”

I am sure the DA and Fire Marshall would have a ball with you in front of a jury trial.
Fire Marshals have as much power as the Chief of Police and also has arrest power if you are breaking the Fire codes and Laws.
You must be a smoker or just ignorant!!!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Bring in attendants to pump your gas at all Villages stations just like they have in New Jersey. What a pleasure it would be. Charge an extra nickel a gallon.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:03 AM

chellybean,
Have a cup of coffee and relax. I did say it was not a state law but could be under fire code. Turns out I was correct. Thanks for clearing that up

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Makes me wonder who had an attitude that day at the pump.
Yes you are probably right my husband has no tolerance for stupid people that puts others in risk of danger!!!!!
I think it was justified.
Just a FYI my husband said;
MS. can you put your cigarette out you are putting us all in a dangerous situation. And her husband replied mind my own business!
Well i think it is my business if someone is putting me and my family in harms way. Just my opinion.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,932 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
A woman was smoking at the gas pump at Healdly way as she was pumping gas.
She started pumping gas and then walked less then 10 feet away while her husband was cleaning the car windows.
She put down her cigarette and then went to check the pump and then back to smoking her cigarette.
My husband said "can you please put your cigarette out you are putting all of us at dangerous risk" and her husband said "mind your own business".
One of the people pumping gas stopped and said you jerk to the lady and left.
My husband then begun to have words with the man and the man said she is a safe distance away.
My husband said are you kidding me the Federal and state law prohibits SMOKING; NO SMOKING period at gas station property.
Before it became a fist fight we left and went into the store were we met the store manager and stated why the gas station attendant was not telling these folks to stop smoking or leave.
It was latter found out the attendant had no idea of the confrontation outside with these idiots due to the attendant was cleaning in the store.
We later met the attendant before we left when the manager was speaking with her and she said she had no idea that there was a problem outside. That was all a surprise to us with all the yelling.
The manager of the store said she would look at the cameras to see if it was a regular customer and have them trespassed off the property and the manger agreed that it was a bone head thing to do.
People that smoke need to use your head, and is smoking that important for 5 minutes while you fill your tank.
JEZZZZZ what an IDIOT!!!!
IMO Not worth getting shot over, just move on down the street to another station. But, probably idiots down there too????
Old 05-15-2018, 09:15 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I would have hit the emergency cut off switch, and called 911 to have the FD & Sheriff/PD to respond to a verbal (turning physical) confrontation.
I like this option a lot!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I would have hit the emergency cut off switch, and called 911 to have the FD & Sheriff/PD to respond to a verbal (turning physical) confrontation.
The real danger appears to lie in lighting a cigarette with a match or lighter amidst relatively contained gasoline vapor, not so much in smoking an already lit cigarette in open air around a gasoline pump. The spark from a lighter might create the most risk. Nonetheless in such a situation I might become sufficiently uncomfortable to hit the cutoff switch and call 911.

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopener...line-fire.html

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-15-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
When there were more smokers (20 or more years ago) I use to see this behavior all the time. Didn’t think much about the danger possibility then. Frankly, you are more likely to see smokers out of the “bubble” than in which may have something to do with our age. We should be wise enough to report the smoking to the station manager instead of confronting a stranger who is likely to defend his wife even though he might disapprove of her behavior himself. Pump on...
This.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

It amazes me when I see a Blue Rhino lp gas stand in front of a convenience store, and next to it an ash tray and an employee or two smoking cigarettes. I think that might be rather dangerous...
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, smoking, husband, attendant, store

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.