Snake Eggs in my Garden

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkcrun View Post
So....what did you end up doing with the eggs? Inquiring minds want to know.
I hired a critter removal company he removed the eggs carefully and is going to place them in the wild. There is a small about 18” black racer On my property he suggested I leave it there unless it bothers me
Old 05-29-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter View Post
What section were the plugs in. I would like to get some. I just put a paver over the hole
Aisle 1 Bay 9.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-6...e-Plug/3013264

Measure well. My two holes were not the same size.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:47 PM

Looks like you win the prize, Bambi. Here is a pic of the snake you saw.

By the way, I went to a snake presentation in the Villages about a year ago. They said instead of trying to remember the sayings about the red/black/yellow stuff, when you encounter a snake like this you will probably forget all of that anyway. Just remember if the head is black it's a coral snake.

So where exactly did you see this guy?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	84323  
Old 05-29-2020, 05:23 PM

I have a rather tall brick landscape wall across the front of my house. I live on a fairway in Calumet Grove. My little Shih Tzu was on a long leash exploring around. I looked down and the snake was meandering by- about eight or ten inches from my foot. The red band caught my attention. I knew about the round black nose but his head was deep in the grass. I at first doubted what I was looking at because I thought it was too large for a coral.
I took a quick pic just as the neighbors lawn cutters drove up. The snake was about to cross the road but turned and disappeared back into the grass towards the wall.
When I was a little girl I really liked snakes and would keep them in a jar or a container for a day before releasing them. Some of my friends refused to play with me because one of my favorite activities was to explore the woods, turn over rotting wood and look for snakes. So I am not that fearful of them. I just hope this one is not living in one of the holes in the wall. I am looking around now before I sit down.

When I was growing up, my father was the physician for the Detroit zoo. He took care of the employees, accidents, physicals, etc. I remembered that he researched and obtained anti venom from all over the world for different snakes. There would be three vials of each type- one set at the zoo, one set at nearby Beaumont Hospital and one set in a fridge at our house.
Anyway, thanks again for posting the picture.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
Aisle 1 Bay 9.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-6...e-Plug/3013264

Measure well. My two holes were not the same size.
Thank you
Old 06-02-2020, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I was sitting on my landscape wall last week when a rather large coral snake passed about ten inches from my foot. I put my little dog in the house, grabbed my phone a took a quick picture. Yes, it was a coral- compared the pic to several on Wikipedia. The stripes matched the jingle- “when red meets black- friend of Jack. When red meets yellow-kill a fellow.” Would post pic if I knew how.
Coral snakes are very reclusive and rarely bit. According to Wikipedia, their venom is the second most poisonous in the world. Black mumba is number one.
The last I saw him, he was trying to cross the street. I have been visually checking my yard before letting my dog wander around and I sit on the wall. This type of snake doesn’t have hollow fangs that allow the venom to inject but corals have to chew on their victims to inject the venom thru grooves on their teeth. Very interesting animal. If you can’t remember the jingle, remember they have black round noses.

I would be surprised if it was coral snake. Probably king snake which you would never want to kill.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I would be surprised if it was coral snake. Probably king snake which you would never want to kill.
Did you see the picture above?
Closed Thread

Tags
eggs, property, don’t, snake, inundated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.