Excellent Recycling news from POA

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2020, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Excellent Recycling news from POA

The June copy of the POA Bulletin has an article on the future of recycling in TV. I am a "greenie" so for me the news is great. It seems that an excellent solution has been found for us, it is called "Waste to Energy".

TwoPlaneKid has made many posts on recycling and the meetings concerning the ongoing problem, so I send huge thanks to him and the other people who care enough to work on this.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-02-2020, 05:47 PM
Gold member

I’d be interested in tons into the plant and tons to landfill. This process is here to make money by creating electricity so any energy it uses to burn hard to burn waste is lost during the process.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

And the great news? How much more is it going to cost?
Old 06-02-2020, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Less than $2/month more than the current rate. So around $18 more per year. For fewer passes of the garbage truck through the neighborhood (so less noise and less heavy machinery on the street), with pickups still twice a week, fewer bags you have to buy because you no longer have to put the recyclables aside (I'm guessing that'll be more than $18/year saved just by not having to bag the recyclables separately).

There's also twice the recycling rate, than the current method, because it's being burned to use as energy. Then there's the benefit of - more energy being created. That in turn could lead to fewer or lower rises in energy costs through typical inflation.

I don't think any of these changes affect me, I'm in Lake County. But I think Sumter will definitely benefit.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Before making an aggressive comment, why didn't t you read the article for yourself and get the facts.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-03-2020, 05:59 AM

Less pick up frequency. More air pollution. Plus $24 year higher charges to villagers.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:09 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Less than $2/month more than the current rate. So around $18 more per year. For fewer passes of the garbage truck through the neighborhood (so less noise and less heavy machinery on the street), with pickups still twice a week, fewer bags you have to buy because you no longer have to put the recyclables aside (I'm guessing that'll be more than $18/year saved just by not having to bag the recyclables separately).

There's also twice the recycling rate, than the current method, because it's being burned to use as energy. Then there's the benefit of - more energy being created. That in turn could lead to fewer or lower rises in energy costs through typical inflation.

I don't think any of these changes affect me, I'm in Lake County. But I think Sumter will definitely benefit.
Our current rate is $19.38. The new rate if approved would be $22.24. The correct increase is thus $2.86. I will have more to say when my comments become public record.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:03 AM

Works for me! Most of what we think we are recycling probably goes to a landfill now. There is no market in recycling. Fewer and fewer places for it to go. Seems like a good option.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
Less pick up frequency. More air pollution. Plus $24 year higher charges to villagers.
Same pickup frequency: twice a week, as usual. The 4 passes they're referring to is the fact that they have a truck come for the trash, AND a truck come separately for the recycling. That will be replaced by the truck coming ONLY for the trash, and that the recycling will go into that truck at the same time.

Less air pollution. Recycling requires stripping plastics of paper labeling, melting glues, bleaching and then mulching the paper, melting down the plastics, and of course the process of manufacturing it all into other things. Trash to energy involves burning it all and siphoning the energy created in the process to generate electricity. In other words - the trash isn't burned in an outdoor trash heap somewhere, allowing the toxic fumes to rise into the air and become pollution. It's contained, instead, and funneled into generators to use as fuel.

To twoplanekid regarding the costs: you're comparing the current cost, to next year's cost. Next year, if you were to go with just Waste Management alone, you would be charged $20.85 per year. If you went with Waste Management AND Covanta, it'd be $22.05. If you go with JUST Covanta, it'll be $22.24.

And so it'll be under $2/month per household, NEXT YEAR, compared to next year's prices for the alternatives.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Same pickup frequency: twice a week, as usual. The 4 passes they're referring to is the fact that they have a truck come for the trash, AND a truck come separately for the recycling. That will be replaced by the truck coming ONLY for the trash, and that the recycling will go into that truck at the same time.

Less air pollution. Recycling requires stripping plastics of paper labeling, melting glues, bleaching and then mulching the paper, melting down the plastics, and of course the process of manufacturing it all into other things. Trash to energy involves burning it all and siphoning the energy created in the process to generate electricity. In other words - the trash isn't burned in an outdoor trash heap somewhere, allowing the toxic fumes to rise into the air and become pollution. It's contained, instead, and funneled into generators to use as fuel.

To twoplanekid regarding the costs: you're comparing the current cost, to next year's cost. Next year, if you were to go with just Waste Management alone, you would be charged $20.85 per year. If you went with Waste Management AND Covanta, it'd be $22.05. If you go with JUST Covanta, it'll be $22.24.

And so it'll be under $2/month per household, NEXT YEAR, compared to next year's prices for the alternatives.
You go girl .... great job. As Helen Reddy sang : We are Women Hear Us Roar in numbers too big to ignore!! and we vote!

Old 06-03-2020, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
Three out of three wrong.
Good going!
Old 06-03-2020, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
You go girl .... great job. As Helen Reddy sang : We are Women Hear Us Roar in numbers too big to ignore!! and we vote!
Was this part of the woman's movement?
Old 06-03-2020, 08:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Where would the burning take place?
Old 06-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:

The question asked at the second NSCUDD workshop in August was "I am willing to pay slightly more (less the $2 per month) to maintain the current waste and recycling program" So, the starting figure of $19.38 should be used and not compare one rate increase with another as you suggest.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Where would the burning take place?
According to the article in the paper, the closest facility to The Villages is in Opahumpka. All the homes south of 44 have been having the Energy from Waste program. If you have not been impacted by any odor or burning of your eyes, seems you are good to go once all of The Villages will be using this facility.

Tags
recycling, excellent, news, poa, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.