Snake ID

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2017, 05:04 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

I would get rid of the wood pile. Certainly a good place for a snake to take up residence and then belly up to the lanai. 🐉 Several moons ago we had a wood burning fireplace and a couple of times I had a battle with a snake at the wood pile which was at the back of our lot. At my wife's suggestion, we put gas logs in the fireplace.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 PM

This year my cat has brought me two snakes since the summer- in the house. The first one was a small 12-15 inches and was striped white, orange, black-- Luckily I had a shoe nearby and killed it only to find out that it was a baby black snake--change color later. I thought it was a rattler. A couple of weeks ago same cat brought a black snake in, little larger, and I had to call in reinforcements for that one-- luckily my neighbors came prepared with a shovel, golf club and broom. It makes you crazy as snakes can climb walls until I trapped it under a box.
I found a youtube video of a black snake being born and they hatch from egg?!! and they come out fighting....and they are striped--
Takes a while to recover from episodes like that..

Last edited by Butterfly201; 11-14-2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2017, 07:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I would get rid of the wood pile. Certainly a good place for a snake to take up residence and then belly up to the lanai...
I've told it that, if it wants to stay in the wood pile, it has to keep the rodent population in check. And no coming inside!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:32 AM

Only the water moc will chase you and I haven't heard of any here. If possible, just leave them alone and they will disappear quickly.....unless you make a woodpile home for them.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2415 View Post
Only the water moc will chase you and I haven't heard of any here. If possible, just leave them alone and they will disappear quickly.....unless you make a woodpile home for them.
Don't worry - I built it closer to my neighbor's home than to mine
Old 11-15-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2415 View Post
They had water mocs (cotton mouths) in the pond at Volusia
Old 11-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly201 View Post
This year my cat has brought me two snakes since the summer- in the house. The first one was a small 12-15 inches and was striped white, orange, black-- Luckily I had a shoe nearby and killed it only to find out that it was a baby black snake--change color later. I thought it was a rattler. A couple of weeks ago same cat brought a black snake in, little larger, and I had to call in reinforcements for that one-- luckily my neighbors came prepared with a shovel, golf club and broom. It makes you crazy as snakes can climb walls until I trapped it under a box.
I found a youtube video of a black snake being born and they hatch from egg?!! and they come out fighting....and they are striped--
Takes a while to recover from episodes like that..
Why in the world do you let your cat outside the house to roam around? If you care about your cat - KEEP IT INSIDE!!!
Old 11-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran member

There are plenty of water moc's around. Hope you never meet them. I have seen them on one of the Cane Garden courses and behind my house near the pond with rocks . Very aggressive.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I'm afraid of snakes but only four kinds big, little alive, dead
Closed Thread

Tags
snake, lanai, brown, rearing, striking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.