Snake invades shuffleboard game

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2022, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Black racer. Supposed to be the third fastest snake breed on the planet.

Sidewinder. 29 km /18 m per hour. ...
Black Mamba. 19 km /12 m per hour. ...
Southern Black Racer. 16 km /10 m per hour.

(safarisafricana dot com)

Black racers are fine, but I don't like a venomous snake that's faster than me.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You forgot to add ticks, especially the deer tick, to the list of creatures without any useful function and absolutely no earthly reason for them to exist.
In my senior year of high school in Fort Myers FL, we read "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner". It is about an old sailor who lives under a bridge who stops a person going to a wedding and tells his sad story about killing an albatross and how much he regrets it. As I recall, this was near the end of the poem:

"Farewell, farewell, but this I tell to thee, thou wedding guest.
He prayeth well, who loveth well, both man and bird and beast.

He prayeth best, who loveth best, all things both great and small.
For the great God who loveth us, he made and loveth all."
Old 12-09-2022, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
True. Thankfully no Sidewinders or Black Mambas in Florida.

I've always been a guy who loves nature and nature photography, and find the reptiles of Florida fascinating. Not many reptiles in Minnesota where I hail from. Some nondescript snakes, turtles, skinks, the odd Rattlesnake down near the Iowa border. Not much more than that. But Florida has a wealth of them. I've photographed a few, not so easy as they're either not moving at all, or moving VERY quickly, and I like to get as close as possible.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Yeah, I believe you. In general, I have always thought water turtles were more dangerous than land turtle.

Once, when i was young, I saved a snapping turtle that was trying to cross I-75 in Paynes Prairie, just south of Gainesville FL. It was small to medium sized, so I grabbed it from behind and threw it into the marsh. I remember it looked pretty funny sailing thru the air with all four legs extended.
A box turtle is basically a land turtle and is pretty docile and slow. Yow can pick them up easily by their shell and they can't reach around and bite you. Not so with a snapping turtle with a long neck and a short shell. One rainy day, I stopped my car because a turtle was stopped in the middle of a road lane and cars were going over him. His head was pulled into his shell and he was afraid to move. It was dark and I thought it was a box turtle, which often finds itself in that predicament. When I picked it up, I knew something was wrong. I put it back down and used my feet to herd it across the road. I have done that often in the past because I figure that I may need "extra credit" in order to get into heaven when that time comes. Incidentally, I don't see many land turtles around the Villages. Maybe because of mosquito spraying?
Old 12-09-2022, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
Kudos to the shuffleboard players! It was very heartening to see that it was not summarily killed by those who may fear snakes. If they bother you, simply stand clear. They do serve a very useful purpose.
Besides eating bugs, the black snake will fight a rattlesnake and drive it away. So, they are very beneficial to have around one's house. Incidentally, there are a lot of rattlesnakes in the Villages (not talking 2 legged types). I have seen many rattlesnake skins in the bushes around our swimming pools.
Old 12-09-2022, 03:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
Rattlesnakes are NOT faster than a human being. They can't eat humans so they leave them alone. Rattlesnake bites on humans usually occur when a person accidentally steps on one. They blend in easily with grass. Andon cold mornings they curl up to conserve heat and get stepped on. From that curled-up position, they will lunge out if disturbed. Snakes make every POSSIBLE effort to avoid humans. I was once fishing and standing in about 3 feet of water in Florida. I had on shorts and a water moccasin swam by within inches of my bare leg. It just kept on swimming and could care less about me. Florida is FILLED with animals, so if you live here long enough, you will encounter many, Sometimes up close.
Old 12-20-2022, 03:27 PM

I've seen several coral snakes pass through my backyard over the past 5 years or so. They are very colorful and rather docile. I believe there venom attacks the central nervous system.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Yeah, I heard that about the rodents. Every creature has its place and function (except mosquitoes...No earthly reason for them to exist).

My first contact with a Black Racer...I was walking on an MMP when I heard a commotion in the weeds next to me. A Black Racer came barreling out from below some low bushes, slammed on the brakes, looked up at me, reversed course and disappeared just as fast. Must have been chasing something. I didn't know what it was at the time (here only a few weeks) but did some reading. But it WAS quick. Never seen a snake move so fast.
Years ago, I was fishing. I lifted a rock looking for bait and several snakes were under the rock. Black racer fast? I was younger just yesterday. As there were no movies. I now tell the story that I can run at least 100 mph.
Closed Thread

Tags
snake, shuffleboard, game, courts, slither

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.